Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Mar 29, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #421 of 4,839
Quote:

You're better off spending that money on tubes instead.

edit:  I DO use a PS Audio power conditioner for my DAC and WA2.  A while ago I wanted to determine with my own ears if power cables were really worth it.  I purchased 3 each of a very popular inexpensive "hospital grade" power cable, along 3 much more expensive audiophile approved power cables (that rhyme with Schmardas).  I wasn't able to discern a single difference.  So, I stopped worrying about expensive power and audio cables.

Thanks Thaddy, did the power conditioner make any difference in the sonic qualities of the amp?

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #423 of 4,839
Quote:
Thanks Thaddy, did the power conditioner make any difference in the sonic qualities of the amp?

I haven't spent enough time listening for differences.  In my new house (built in 2009) it probably doesn't do anything, just because everything is so new.  But, it looks great next to the matching PS Audio DigitalLink III DAC so it's not going anywhere :)

If you're worried about shoddy power, I'd look into a line conditioner.  I use the Tripp Lite LC1800 line conditioner.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #424 of 4,839
Hello Everyone!

I haven't posted here in ages.. But I'm back..

Since we are talking about k701/702s with wa6se..I have a question..

I've been a happy owner of K702 with wa6se with blackgates, sophia for couple of years. I own a dacportLX dac.

I listen mainly to jazz, acoustic music..I need to hear ride cymbal and the upright bass. I like natural sounds, real bass..

Of the three items I own, what would you recommend as an upgrade? I don't think my amp needs Any improvement, I think wa6se will do me fine forever. 

Do you think I should stick with what I got? Or you have any recommendations for a better music listening experience?
I have a question, what is lacking with your k702/was6se? Are they not producing excellent music, or probably because the bass is not accentuated that prompted you to go for an upgrade? Maybe a sen hd800 is for you because they have all the qualities of k702 with a bigger and wider soundstage, very transparent, neutral and excellent bass that will complement the woo6 se.

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #427 of 4,839
Quote:

I know Silent One on the Woo Audio thread was very fond of the Wire World power cables.. I'm not 100% sure which model (I believe it was the Silver Electra).. I tried the Aurora.

I didn't notice any difference between three power cables i tried, "i think" I noticed a difference of a quieter background with a power conditioner but again the cables made no difference after the condition either - at least to my ears after some decent A/B'ing.

Mar 30, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #428 of 4,839
Power conditioners definitely have an effect that is quantifiable.  EMF noise can be in power lines, and DC can pollute AC lines.  These will have an effect on sound.  But, IMO, as long as the power cord is properly made of a sufficient gauge, that will not have an effect on sound.  The money planned for exotic power cords is probably better off being spent on tubes, headphones, or music.

Quote:
I know Silent One on the Woo Audio thread was very fond of the Wire World power cables.. I'm not 100% sure which model (I believe it was the Silver Electra).. I tried the Aurora.

I didn't notice any difference between three power cables i tried, "i think" I noticed a difference of a quieter background with a power conditioner but again the cables made no difference after the condition either - at least to my ears after some decent A/B'ing.

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #429 of 4,839
I use the discontinued HCM daybreak power cords on all my amps(6ft was like 90$ bucks). I have noticed an improvement on every amp I use them with. Increased dynamics, better textures, blacker backgrounds.
I have a TV transmitter park less than 2 miles away from my house with multiple 50,000 watt transmitters, so I had to switch all my cables to shielded when I moved here. It took a month of of switching out non-shielded cables to get the grunge out of the sound.
I have read good things about the $150 shunyata. However, I did try a cheaper shunyata power cord a while back. It did change the sound, but It was not an improvement. I also was less than impressed with the cardas cross and the old api power cords.
I will say I have yet to find a noticeable improvement on source units with these things, but I run surge protectors/conditioners on my front end components.

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #430 of 4,839
My new tubes arrived and are installed in my WA6 SE.
They sound absolutely wonderful!

Drive/Power tube option 1:
1 matched pair of 6GL7/6EM7 plus one pair of 6GL7->6DE7 Teflon tube
adapters.

United Electronics (USAF) — 596 Rectifier Tube and Adapter

L3000.gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #431 of 4,839
Quote:
My new tubes arrived and are installed in my WA6 SE.
They sound absolutely wonderful!

Drive/Power tube option 1:
1 matched pair of 6GL7/6EM7 plus one pair of 6GL7->6DE7 Teflon tube
adapters.

Wonder if those are the ones I just returned? 
Didn't care for them, thought they were too aggressive. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #432 of 4,839
Not sure if it was mentionned but is this the best amp in this pricerange for AKG 702 65th anniversary edition? Looking to get some nice bass and lots of headroom to give enough juice to these power hungry headphones...

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #433 of 4,839
Quote:
Not sure if it was mentionned but is this the best amp in this pricerange for AKG 702 65th anniversary edition? Looking to get some nice bass and lots of headroom to give enough juice to these power hungry headphones...

the WA6-SE works great with the K/Q701/702. tons of power and the bass is there. maybe not the best, but one of the best for sure 
wink.gif

Quote:
Wonder if those are the ones I just returned? 
Didn't care for them, thought they were too aggressive. 

they might have been, some people don't like the 6GL7, ive seen some ppl comment that they sounded harsh or colored or too bassy, but they pair great with the 596 tube, i don't think they work too well with HD 800 or T1 either. but they sound magical with HE-500 and LCD-2. they where the first tube combo i thought really brought the LCD-2 to life.

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #434 of 4,839
Quote:

the WA6-SE works great with the K/Q701/702. tons of power and the bass is there. maybe not the best, but one of the best for sure 
wink.gif

they might have been, some people don't like the 6GL7, ive seen some ppl comment that they sounded harsh or colored or too bassy, but they pair great with the 596 tube, i don't think they work too well with HD 800 or T1 either. but they sound magical with HE-500 and LCD-2. they where the first tube combo i thought really brought the LCD-2 to life.

I could see that tube working with the LCD-2, but didn't like it with my HE-500.

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #435 of 4,839
Quote:

I could see that tube working with the LCD-2, but didn't like it with my HE-500.

with pleather or velour? 

i use them with pleather. velours a little hot on the treble. i dunno if the tube has anything to do with it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back