Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Mar 28, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #406 of 4,839
Quote:
Hello Everyone!

I haven't posted here in ages.. But I'm back..

Since we are talking about k701/702s with wa6se..I have a question..

I've been a happy owner of K702 with wa6se with blackgates, sophia for couple of years. I own a dacportLX dac.

I listen mainly to jazz, acoustic music..I need to hear ride cymbal and the upright bass. I like natural sounds, real bass..

Of the three items I own, what would you recommend as an upgrade? I don't think my amp needs Any improvement, I think wa6se will do me fine forever. 

Do you think I should stick with what I got? Or you have any recommendations for a better music listening experience?

IMO, I would go with a headphone upgrade over the DAC.

Mar 29, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #408 of 4,839
Quote:
Thank you... Any recommendations for headphones for this set up for acoustic music??

I was thinking Sennheiser 600s?

What's the budget?

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #409 of 4,839
Between 400-700$.
I know this hobby is about non dimishing returns, I just can't justify paying more than thousand dollars right now.
But I do love my wa6se, and I would like to bring out it it's full potential.

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #412 of 4,839
Quote:
Between 400-700$.
I know this hobby is about non dimishing returns, I just can't justify paying more than thousand dollars right now.
But I do love my wa6se, and I would like to bring out it it's full potential.

Quote:
Try grado ps500 or rs1, HE 500 or Senn HD650 their all great headphone in their own way.

ive heard all of those except ps500.

i feel the HE-500 would be the best value for the money, its by far better than the others in terms of detail, transparency, bass, treble, mids, etc. it would be an immediately noticeable improvement and one of the best headphones in that 700$ price range. 

if you like acoustic and jazz and natural bass, the RS1 would be the one of the more natural organic sounding headphones with a beautiful warmth. however, it lacks the soundstage and refinement of the HE-500.but its better than K701.

The HD 650 is similar to K701, but its very smooth and doesn't have the same detail or natural sounding bass, its slower and bloomier, its a fantastic headphone, easy to enjoy with its laid back presentation, but you may not notice much improvement over the K701, you might even prefer the K701 still.

i would get the RS1 or HE-500. the HE-500 is a world class headphone with flagship sound, rivaling the LCD-2/D7000 and able to hold their own against the T1/HD800. the Rs1 is very enjoyable as well, especially for the music you listen to. the HE-500 might even be end-game worthy if you do not want to get into diminishing returns or spend more on the 1k + flagships.

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #413 of 4,839
Quote:

ive heard all of those except ps500.

i feel the HE-500 would be the best value for the money, its by far better than the others in terms of detail, transparency, bass, treble, mids, etc. it would be an immediately noticeable improvement and one of the best headphones in that 700$ price range. 

if you like acoustic and jazz and natural bass, the RS1 would be the one of the more natural organic sounding headphones with a beautiful warmth. however, it lacks the soundstage and refinement of the HE-500.but its better than K701.

The HD 650 is similar to K701, but its very smooth and doesn't have the same detail or natural sounding bass, its slower and bloomier, its a fantastic headphone, easy to enjoy with its laid back presentation, but you may not notice much improvement over the K701, you might even prefer the K701 still.

i would get the RS1 or HE-500. the HE-500 is a world class headphone with flagship sound, rivaling the LCD-2/D7000 and able to hold their own against the T1/HD800. the Rs1 is very enjoyable as well, especially for the music you listen to. the HE-500 might even be end-game worthy if you do not want to get into diminishing returns or spend more on the 1k + flagships.

well said!!!

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #414 of 4,839
Quote:
Hello Everyone!

I haven't posted here in ages.. But I'm back..

Since we are talking about k701/702s with wa6se..I have a question..

I've been a happy owner of K702 with wa6se with blackgates, sophia for couple of years. I own a dacportLX dac.

I listen mainly to jazz, acoustic music..I need to hear ride cymbal and the upright bass. I like natural sounds, real bass..

Of the three items I own, what would you recommend as an upgrade? I don't think my amp needs Any improvement, I think wa6se will do me fine forever. 

Do you think I should stick with what I got? Or you have any recommendations for a better music listening experience?

For most purposes, I would say stick with what you've got.  If you can land K501s in good condition, you will get slightly better midrange, but at the expense of bass.  Unless you're a bass freak, you can't go far wrong keeping the K702's for llistening to jazz (from many standpoints).  An earlier poster suggested a dac upgrade; that's probably the best way to improve the combinatin you currently have.  I'm successfully using teh Meridian Explorer to drive the K701's direct, but also use that same dac in my home system, so would suggest you might look at that dac as a fairly low-cost upgrade.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #415 of 4,839
^ upgrading headphones would still be a bigger improvement. the k702 can only sound so good and then they won't get much better.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #416 of 4,839
I agree.  As much as I love my amps, the biggest difference you can make in you system is the headphones themselves.

Quote:
^ upgrading headphones would still be a bigger improvement. the k702 can only sound so good and then they won't get much better.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #417 of 4,839
Ok folks, at the risk of getting flamed here, I gotta ask. I am considering the idea of a power cord upgrade on my WA6SE. I have read the many generic comments on other threads in this forum on this topic with respect to other audio gear. It seems to be quit a controversial topic at best. Also, I can't seem to find threads that are specific to the Woo Audio product. So, I am looking for a discussion/ advice of people who have gone the upgrade route with the power cord on the WA6/WA6SE that has made a difference sonically in these amps. Currently I am using a non specific, low tech cord. I know that the sky is the limit in reference to price. I am looking at something between $50 to $500 range. Thanks  

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #418 of 4,839
Ask yourself this: are the power lines entering your home some exotic, super audiophile cables?  Or, are they most likely some low grade steel crap with birds sitting on them and pooping all over them?  There might even be mice in the crawl space or attic gnawing on them right now as we speak.

Just get yourself a good 14 awg power cord from Monoprice or something.  Anything else is expectation bias.  Expectation bias is a bazzillion dollar a year business.

Quote:
Ok folks, at the risk of getting flamed here, I gotta ask. I am considering the idea of a power cord upgrade on my WA6SE. I have read the many generic comments on other threads in this forum on this topic with respect to other audio gear. It seems to be quit a controversial topic at best. Also, I can't seem to find threads that are specific to the Woo Audio product. So, I am looking for a discussion/ advice of people who have gone the upgrade route with the power cord on the WA6/WA6SE that has made a difference sonically in these amps. Currently I am using a non specific, low tech cord. I know that the sky is the limit in reference to price. I am looking at something between $50 to $500 range. Thanks  

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #419 of 4,839
Quote:
Ask yourself this: are the power lines entering your home some exotic, super audiophile cables?  Or, are they most likely some low grade steel crap with birds sitting on them and pooping all over them?  There might even be mice in the crawl space or attic gnawing on them right now as we speak.

Just get yourself a good 14 awg power cord from Monoprice or something.  Anything else is expectation bias.  Expectation bias is a bazzillion dollar a year business.

Thanks hodgiy, I too am not convinced that this makes any difference. I am certainly aware of the psychological construct of cognitive dissidence with respect to purchasing high dollar toys (i.e., the more one pays for an item, the more likely that person will perceive the worth of that item). Also, I don't want to get into a "it's all your mind" thread  here. That has been done several times in the other threads that I have read. What I want to know is for those folks who have gone this route, what have you chosen and what difference did you perceive that the power cord made on this particular amp. Thanks

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #420 of 4,839
Quote:

You're better off spending that money on tubes instead.

edit:  I DO use a PS Audio power conditioner for my DAC and WA2.  A while ago I wanted to determine with my own ears if power cables were really worth it.  I purchased 3 each of a very popular inexpensive "hospital grade" power cable, along 3 much more expensive audiophile approved power cables (that rhyme with Schmardas).  I wasn't able to discern a single difference.  So, I stopped worrying about expensive power and audio cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back