Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jan 18, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #91 of 4,839

Quote:

its not as firm on mine. moves pretty easily.

the power tubes on my WA2 however, those are hard to get out 
frown.gif

haha maybe they loosen up over time.. but both my driver tubes and rectifier are pretty firm.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #92 of 4,839
been thinking about breaking into the vinyl game... anyone listen to records with their Woo 6s?

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #93 of 4,839
I'm a big vinyl nut! Got more $ into my analog set-up than I care to admit.. I've had four TTs, numerous carts, several phono stages, etc. It is not a cheap hobby but it is sure is rewarding. New pressings of various recordings and new music on vinyl is pretty awesome , not to mention the fact that you can score great old stuff for cheap if you know how to look!

Set a budget for yourself, and go from there. I can provide advice based on that.

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #94 of 4,839

Quote:
been thinking about breaking into the vinyl game... anyone listen to records with their Woo 6s?

What is a good phono amp  to bridge a TT (VPI Scout + Grado Sonata low volt) to Woo WA6/6-SE? Could danska or anyone recommend? Do I need a phono amp btw? I apologize for an elementary question.

Thank you.

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #95 of 4,839

Quote:
What is a good phono amp  to bridge a TT (VPI Scout + Grado Sonata low volt) to Woo WA6/6-SE? Could danska or anyone recommend? Do I need a phono amp btw? I apologize for an elementary question.

Thank you.

stevekwc, yours is the 0.5mV version I gather. Your going to need a phono pre-amp/stage to equalize the input signal (RIAA equalization) and boost the gain way up on that puppy. Those are quite nice carts for the money, I've listened to one before. Your going to need the equivalent of a moving-coil type stage (or a MM type with a step-up transformer) to get enough gain for proper dynamics and what not. The main question is what is your budget? You can get cheap phono stages like the Pro-Ject Phono Box ($159) which sounds okay but not awesome. With a VPI/Grado Sonata set-up you'll be underwhelmed to say the least. Some people say its the most important piece in the chain.

I'd recommend something like what I have, the Jolida JD9 which offers three different gain levels, different loadings, etc. It is priced now at $499, you can find used ones sometimes around $350. It has a tube output, which is pretty cool because you can roll those (12ax7/5751/12au7) to suit what you like. Its also very easily modified, you can swap op-amps on the input very easily and it will compete with $1-1.5k stages all day long. I'm a bit biased but I haven't heard anything under $1.2k that is as good as my JD9 with a total of $600 into it.

I researched basically every available phono stage available to me both locally and over the net, so I'd be happy to help point you in the right direction, based on you budget.

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #96 of 4,839
Hi there,

I've just received my WA6, I found it in the classified section :wink: and it comes with a couple of tubes for rolling : Sylvana, EML, etc...

I like everything on this amp : quality, sound, simplicity, easy to live with, etc.. except the volume knob that slips from my big greasy hands ! :-D Does anyone know where I could find another knob, easier to handle, not sanded for instance ?

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #98 of 4,839

Quote:
Anyone using a GZ34 rectifier they are pleased with in the 6SE?

I stopped rolling those of I got my emission labs 5U4G & Sophia, have you tried the mullard GZ34 (I was actually curious about that one).

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #99 of 4,839

Quote:
Anyone using a GZ34 rectifier they are pleased with in the 6SE?

I did try a metal-base Philips miniwatt (1955 build), and depending on your phones and the sound you're after, it was pretty outrageous.  It's a holy grail tube and priced accordingly.  Definitely the most detailed rectifier I've tried and a bit toppy and closed-in w/ my Ed8s so I sold it (and made $50 profit!).  Of course that's a different beast than say a standard small base 60s/70s mullard and I never tried one of those in the Woo.  I could see how using something like an LCD3 it might be tops.  Also from what I understand if you want to play in that league the GZ37 high-wycombe is considered to be somewhat comparable, as well as the large based mullards built in Holland (basically Philips rebrands and similar to the metal base tubes) can be had cheaper - like $125-150 or so measuring strong on eBay

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #100 of 4,839
I haven't tried any of the GZ34's... yet.  I've got the EML and Sophia as well, but curiosity is getting the best of me and I've been researching the GZ34's now.  It's interesting that they don't seem that popular with the WA6(SE) crowd.. or at least that's my impression.

It's a rather expensive experiment, but bobeau gives me a little inspiration... if I can get one at fair market I could likely get rid of it later at little or no loss if I don't find it to my liking.

I'll check out the GZ37 as well.  Thanks for the tip.

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #101 of 4,839

Quote:
It's a rather expensive experiment, but bobeau gives me a little inspiration... if I can get one at fair market I could likely get rid of it later at little or no loss if I don't find it to my liking.

So here's how you go about it... I have a theory that most people, esp. guitarists, only are aware of these as metal-based Mullards.  In truth, there is no such thing (ie. none made in a British Mullard factory), a metal-base Mullard is just a rebranded Philips.  Philips was actually the parent company of Mullard.  This goes for any metal-based rebrand, all Philips.  Some people tend to not list the word "Mullard" in their auction title and they don't show up, and consequently those tubes tend to fetch less... so that's how you get a deal.  Just get a strong-testing one, non-NOS, and aim keep the max price under $200.  If it doesn't suit you make sure to list something like "Philips Miniwatt Metal-base GZ34/Valvo/Amperex/Mullard rebrand" in the title and it will likely fetch a decent amount over $200.  I purchased mine for $185 shipped from someone who just called it a Philips Miniwatt, and when it sold there were 3 people who bid over $200.

It's an interesting tube and out of the all the higher end rectifiers I tried produced the most distinctly different results.  I kinda wish I didn't get rid of it as I have some Thunderpants on the way and could very well prefer it with those... if I find I'm edging back toward the sound of the Sophia Princess over my EML 274b, I may pick up another.  These things are also known to be bulletproof and to last for like 5000+ hours, so if it meshes with your tastes it will probably far outlast the handbuilt EML/SPs that seemingly tend to burn out rather quickly (many reports in the big Woo thread of failures at around the 500-1000 hour mark).

EDIT:  Also something to note, there appear to be 3 types of these metal based tubes.  My recollection is the periods are approximately 1) 52-54, 2) 55-56, and 3) 57-58.  They also are perceived in that order for sonic greatness - supposedly.  The first two groups look similar internally but the first series only have 1 top getter, the second two.  The third period look quite a bit different and are actually similar to the big plastic base Philips tubes.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #102 of 4,839
^THIS
Solid gold.  Thanks for taking the time.  There is a huge amount of data to mine through here on these tubes, and you just boiled 90% of it down for me in one post.  

That $200ish range is exactly where I'm trying to target on budget.

I'm on the hunt.  When I score a decent tube I'll be sure to let you know.

THANKS!

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #103 of 4,839
i would advise patience in your search for the metal base gz34 rectifiers. they are supposedly very plentiful but
collectors in europe have taken them out of circulation to raise the prices; kinda like debeers and their diamonds.

the gz37 is nothing like the gz34 metal base on the woo amps. operating points are different and while the gz34
have a lively and energetic presentation, albeit with a closed in soundstage, the gz37 (big bottle and small) sounds
slow and thick, indicating it is operating outside of the linear curve, thanks to the conservative power supply section
of all woo amps.

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #104 of 4,839

Quote:
THANKS!

Absolutely, good luck.  It seems a handful of these tubes sell on eBay every week (at least when I was looking), it might take a few weeks.

Quote:

the gz37 is nothing like the gz34 metal base on the woo amps. operating points are different and while the gz34
have a lively and energetic presentation, albeit with a closed in soundstage, the gz37 (big bottle and small) sounds
slow and thick, indicating it is operating outside of the linear curve, thanks to the conservative power supply section
of all woo amps.

I stand corrected on that.  When I was researching metal GZ34s I saw the high wycombe tubes come up in several conversations as recommendations, but I have no personal experience nor am aware of the difference in operating characteristics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back