Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Feb 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #106 of 4,839

Quote:
I'm selling a EML 5U4G if anyone is interested. I'll cut you a little Woo WA6(SE) discount if anyone wants it
wink_face.gif

eek.gif
 That you wouldn't let me in on the deal... shocking! Shipsupt had to inform late last night just what you were up to. You know I want it. 
wink_face.gif
 Will either call, send PM or both!

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #107 of 4,839
I've had my WA6 for about two weeks.  I bought it used with the stock tube set.  

My listening reference has been the Burson 160D to this point-- I only own HD650s and UE In-Ear Reference Monitors (saving for the LCD2 at the moment) and I will continue using the DA side of the Burson for the foreseeable future-- as I haven't run across a DAC that can do what the Burson does.  

On that note (pun intended) the Burson ate up the WA6 with standard tubes.  The Burson had definition in the bass which was sorely lacking from the WA6 and the highs were much clearer under the Burson.  I was also picking up some sibilance on the standard tube.  The Burson really excels at keeping all of the parts of the sound in place.  It has a way of making the total sound cohere better than my other D/A / Amp options.  I had a Sophia Princess tube on order, and it arrived a day or two after the WA6.  I also ordered on eBay a '58 Mullard GZ34 (NOS).

Changing out to the Princess made a world of difference.  I still preferred the Burson to the WA6, but at quieter volumes the Princess held its own.  Under the Princess the upper frequencies grew clarity and the sibilance disappeared.  The bass extended a bit and the bottom also found a bit of definition which was lacking.

Last week the '58 GZ34 arrived.  It lacks the light show of the Princess.  And on that note alone-- the Princess is probably more fun to listen with.  But the muster is in the sound-- and here the GZ34 upped the ante significantly-- so much so-- that in just pluggin in the rectifier tube without much warm-up at all, I really had a hard time hearing much difference at all from the Burson.  The sound is practically identical-- Hot swapping-- It might be a shade warmer, but honestly, I couldn't make out any significant difference.  Which makes me wonder where things will stand once the GZ tube comes on a bit.  

I have 1 more rectifier on the way-- another GZ varietal-- this from Holland, and a bit more pricey-- time will tell.  On order due Monday-- the first change in the power tubes-- the 6GL7/6EM7.  Woo claims it to be the best power tubes they know of-- can't wait to see what change comes with them.   

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #108 of 4,839

Quote:
I've had my WA6 for about two weeks.  I bought it used with the stock tube set.  

My listening reference has been the Burson 160D to this point-- I only own HD650s and UE In-Ear Reference Monitors (saving for the LCD2 at the moment) and I will continue using the DA side of the Burson for the foreseeable future-- as I haven't run across a DAC that can do what the Burson does.  

On that note (pun intended) the Burson ate up the WA6 with standard tubes.  The Burson had definition in the bass which was sorely lacking from the WA6 and the highs were much clearer under the Burson.  I was also picking up some sibilance on the standard tube.  The Burson really excels at keeping all of the parts of the sound in place.  It has a way of making the total sound cohere better than my other D/A / Amp options.  I had a Sophia Princess tube on order, and it arrived a day or two after the WA6.  I also ordered on eBay a '58 Mullard GZ34 (NOS).

Changing out to the Princess made a world of difference.  I still preferred the Burson to the WA6, but at quieter volumes the Princess held its own.  Under the Princess the upper frequencies grew clarity and the sibilance disappeared.  The bass extended a bit and the bottom also found a bit of definition which was lacking.

Last week the '58 GZ34 arrived.  It lacks the light show of the Princess.  And on that note alone-- the Princess is probably more fun to listen with.  But the muster is in the sound-- and here the GZ34 upped the ante significantly-- so much so-- that in just pluggin in the rectifier tube without much warm-up at all, I really had a hard time hearing much difference at all from the Burson.  The sound is practically identical-- Hot swapping-- It might be a shade warmer, but honestly, I couldn't make out any significant difference.  Which makes me wonder where things will stand once the GZ tube comes on a bit.  

I have 1 more rectifier on the way-- another GZ varietal-- this from Holland, and a bit more pricey-- time will tell.  On order due Monday-- the first change in the power tubes-- the 6GL7/6EM7.  Woo claims it to be the best power tubes they know of-- can't wait to see what change comes with them.   

How would you compare the soundstage between the GZ34 and the Sophia? Thanks for the post btw (great pics).

Feb 4, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #109 of 4,839
Rectifiers Ranked--

Inside my listening room with D5000's & D7000's on top:

1. USAF-596
2. EML 5U4G Mesh Plate
3. Sophia Princess 274-B Mesh Plate

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #110 of 4,839

Quote:
How would you compare the soundstage between the GZ34 and the Sophia? Thanks for the post btw (great pics).

I'd put the GZ34 ahead of the Sophia on every level.  To my ears, where the Sophia Princess goes astray is in the bass.  It's muddier compared with the GZ34 and my reference Burson.  This slightly spoils the soundstage.  But soundstage is good to great on both (depending on source).  I don't think anyone will be disappointed in the Sofia Princess.  But on direct comparison, it doesn't match my Burson or GZ34.  

Listening tracks:  Gene Harris "All-Star Tribute to Count Basie", Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" 96kHz, Grateful Dead "American Beauty" SACD 188kHz (if you like the Dead, this re-mix will blow your mind), Nora Jones "Come Away With Me", Dire Straits "Communique", The Eagles "Hotel California" 192kHz.

Based on what I own (3 rectifier tubes)-- I rank the tubes as follows:

1) Mullard GZ-34 (1958)
2) Sofia Princess
3) Stock Woo Tube (Don't know the model #, and don't care-- this tube doesn't measure up)

I'll be playing with the Power tubes next week.  Can't wait, Woo claims more drive (output) out of the 6GL7 and greater clarity throughout the range.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #112 of 4,839
Yes, English, fat plastic base.  The 6GL7 power tubes arrived today.  Out of the box-- lots of "Umph".  Not sure I'm liking it with the GZ34.  Gotta burn 'em a bit, but there's a quality I'm not liking out of the chute.  I need eval time, and I have none... Pity when life gets in the way of listening.

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #113 of 4,839

I've had about a week with the WA-6 "upgraded" with 6EM7 amp tubes.  These are the recommended tubes from Woo, their selection for drive tubes.  My experience has been a rather big disappointment.

First I married the 6EM7s with my favorite rectifier tube for the WA-6-- the Mullard GZ34.  Mine is a 1958, fat bottom plastic base.

The bass slams.  It's punchy, lacking finesse.  Soundstage is decent, but bass is blooming.  Compression sounding-- probably decent for pop or beats, but there's nothing gentle about this combo.  The precision jump from the Sofia to the GZ34 is replaced by an overpowering closed-in approach.

The 6EM7s marry better to the Princess-- the slamming property of the amp seems to focus the princess better.  Still-- a major disappointment.  Booming is still there, but there's some semblance of control.

Jumping back to the RCA 6CY7 things immediately open up and pull together under the GZ34.  Airy.  Spaceous.  All the detail is there immediately.

Switching back to the Princess with the 6GL7, the sound is tighter-- but more closed.  I judge this to be a negative.  There's a lack of ring in the reverb that the GZ34 6CY7 enjoyed and exploited.  Further listening and it appears the openness is getting cut off by the lower mids and bass frequencies.  But if you're looking for bass extension-- this combo offers up plenty.  But I'm afraid it's too thumping for my taste. 

The Princess with the 6GL7 is a palatable attacking combo, but nothing I'd seek out on my own.  The more I listen-- the more it sounds like a compressed FM stereo signal.  It's the sound I'd been searching to find in my living room in '78.  Unfortunately my taste has changed significantly over the past 30 years.  The sound is like a Guiness beer.  Thick and frothy.  Saturated.  Lots of bold flavor that exhausts me quickly.  Modern day, vintage wall of sound.  Switching to Jay-Z-- it's what you might really want!  Man-- too much for anything else.  Too much attack.  Woo claims greater clarity?  Not on these two tubes!

Selling them sooner rather than later.  Any takers?

Next up:  Just got my hands on a CV593 rectifier.  Pleasing out of the box.  Still needs evaluation.  Another tube to burn in!  I also see Woo is selling 6SN7s-- that's a legendary driver, and I want to try it.  Steep $$$ in tubes at the moment.  My wallet is steaming.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #114 of 4,839
@reeltime - What headphones were you using with the 6EM7's, and which brand tubes were they?

I definitely have found them to have a more closed in sound, although the Sophia helped to open things up a bit.  I found that I liked this punch with my orthodynamics, and didn't hear the same bloom you encountered, the low end being strong but tight.  In general I found them promising.  I am finding some better sounding tubes as I roll in more brands as well.  The Sylvanias seemed to be working better than the Lindals that Jack sent, but I've got a few more I need to roll through including GE, RCA, and Tung Sol.  I'm a bit stalled on rolling due to the Bay Area Meet this weekend.

On the other hand I did not like them at all with the HD-800 and T1, found them to be a little "overwhelming" on both ends for my taste.  Your "too much attack" comment about the 6GL7 is about right for me with the 6EM7's and these headphones.  

I didn't try them with any low impedance or highly efficient headphones as I figured it would not be a good combination.

I've just started to gather some 6GL7's but haven't listened to them at all yet... will be interesting to see what I hear.

I also just picked up a CV593, waiting for it in the mail now... 

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #115 of 4,839
My sole pair of hi-fi headphones-- the Sennheiser 650.  I'm plotting a purchase of LCD-2s but unfortunately Nikon derailed my plans when they released the new D800 this week.  Camera (work stuff) takes priority over play.  

Woo sent me Amperex 6GL7s with the adapter bases.  I just couldn't get them to work for me.  

I have on order from Woo the 6SN7GTs and adapter bases.  I'm hearing good things.  Currently I have stock RCA 6DE7s.  

Did you get your CV593 off of eBay?  There's a guy with a bunch of NOS '67s for sale at $100 each.  You are in for something REALLY special.  So far, I think it's a dream tube.  I'll post my thoughts here after they burn in, but I spent the entire night going back through my favorite tracks, which should tell you something.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #116 of 4,839
Yep, same guy with the Mullards.  I grabbed one while I continue my search for the right GZ34.  Now you're getting me all excited about it! 
biggrin.gif

One thing I didn't consider when I was reading your impressions was what subtle differences we are likely to hear when using the same tubes in the 6 vs. the 6SE?  Surely the same tubes are going to behave slightly different in the two amps, right?

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #117 of 4,839
Yeah, absolutely.  But I don't think the qualities of the tubes will differ much.  But you're going to have a definite edge in overall presentation, because you're packing more power and I'd guess moving the power to its own unit has some serious advantages, though the basics of the amp are relatively similar.  You're driving headphones that are more power hungry, as well.  

I stopped listening long enough to swap tubes.  I went back to the GZ34 (1958) after four hours on the CV593-- I forgot how good the GZ34 actually sounds.  I've been listening to the Sofia with the 6GL7s for a few days trying to find more to like-- and my ears were shocked for the second time tonight.  Man that Mullard company knows a thing or two about making tubes..  My first impressions on swapping back were the bass is more extended under the GZ34 and the soundstage wider than the CV593.  I've got more listening to do, but it's a good night at home!

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #118 of 4,839

Quote:
My sole pair of hi-fi headphones-- the Sennheiser 650.  I'm plotting a purchase of LCD-2s but unfortunately Nikon derailed my plans when they released the new D800 this week.  Camera (work stuff) takes priority over play.  

Woo sent me Amperex 6GL7s with the adapter bases.  I just couldn't get them to work for me.  

I have on order from Woo the 6SN7GTs and adapter bases.  I'm hearing good things.  Currently I have stock RCA 6DE7s.  

Did you get your CV593 off of eBay?  There's a guy with a bunch of NOS '67s for sale at $100 each.  You are in for something REALLY special.  So far, I think it's a dream tube.  I'll post my thoughts here after they burn in, but I spent the entire night going back through my favorite tracks, which should tell you something.

I wasn't crazy about the stock 6SN7s tubes that came with the adaptors from Woo.. I think they were RCAs, I actually preferred the stock setup, but if you can get your hands on some new old stock 6SN7GTs its supposed to be great (I searched a bit when I had my WA6 and they are pretty tough to find).

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #119 of 4,839

Quote:
 I forgot how good the GZ34 actually sounds.   Man that Mullard company knows a thing or two about making tubes..  

One thing to keep in mind is that early Mullard is going to be a different beast than the far more common Mullard GZ34s out there (small black base).  I found the latter to be pretty underwhelming, my miniwatt was heads and shoulders above and the early MIE Mullards are likely to be a derivative of that.  

This is mostly for the readers out there that just want to pick up a Mullard tube to try.  They're all decent tubes, but to really see what they can do you have to get an early one.

Tubeworld is a good source of info on these tubes, although their prices are otherwordly

https://www.tubeworld.com/5ar4.htm

All the links toward the top of this page (just under the metal based tube) will take you to info pages on the variants.  The ones you should focus on are in the top three links (metal and fat base tubes).

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #120 of 4,839

Quote:
I wasn't crazy about the stock 6SN7s tubes that came with the adaptors from Woo.. I think they were RCAs, I actually preferred the stock setup, but if you can get your hands on some new old stock 6SN7GTs its supposed to be great (I searched a bit when I had my WA6 and they are pretty tough to find).

Woo is actually selling NOS 6SN7GTs on their WA6 page as an upgrade right now.  They offer up tube upgrades from time to time depending on what's in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back