Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jan 15, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #4,816 of 4,839
I am loving 13DE7 and Sophia Princess 274B these days which were my least favorite before. I've noticed 274B and my feelings about it have transformed completely twice along the way. I noticed somewhere along the way, a while back, that the 274B no longer had a somewhat strange metallic timbre anymore that made it my least favorite of the rectifiers and this was with a few hundred hours on it. From what I can tell now I think it was just noise related what that was. Later on and after some improvements I started to really pay attention to the 13DE7 274B combo as Jack Woo recommended it. So I've been using it on and off for about a month or two for easy listening with 13DE7 (less punchy softer experience), and it was quite unique with a sweet musicality that I considered special, and I liked it quite a bit at that point. After the high amperage power cable that unique musicality changed completely to a warm leaning sound like every tube I've tested since getting this power cable. Bass is just rippling from this thing as well even with 13DE7 and lack of punch doesn't exist. The sound of every single tube combo reminds me of the clarity, warmth, and punch of the 13EM7/U52 without a doubt. Had no idea a high amperage cable could do this to a tube amp. I keep wondering if the tube amp will overheat from all of this juice but it's just fine, seems it's maybe even cooler on average now.

Jan 16, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #4,817 of 4,839
Using the Woo Audio 596 => 5U4 adapter and the Woo Audio 6SN7 => 6DE7 adapters, here is WA6 Gen 1 in 'combat mode' D21804AD-B4FC-4363-ACB2-7E2C4AC30C28.jpeg [Sixilla]
That has got to be as good as it gets for a WA6.
Here follows a much more humble version of "combat mode". Perhaps the toughest built rectifier to be had along with some JAN drivers that look rather civilian except for the markings... I suspect the drivers were made locally, back in the day. This hobby would be very different were it not for wartime stocks.

WA61953Hytron.jpg

Jan 16, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #4,818 of 4,839
That has got to be as good as it gets for a WA6.
Here follows a much more humble version of "combat mode". Perhaps the toughest built rectifier to be had along with some JAN drivers that look rather civilian except for the markings... I suspect the drivers were made locally, back in the day. This hobby would be very different were it not for wartime stocks.

WA61953Hytron.jpg
That looks good, you show that black would have been a good choice for me, too.
:thumbsup:

Jan 20, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #4,819 of 4,839
This amp looks very similar to a chinese one that doesn't exist anymore, Hifitu TI :

cPREMDl.jpg

I heard of it just by coincidence and had a short listen, was very pleased and searched for one on-line, but they disappeared, apparently they were sold on aliexpress around 180 euros.

Does anyone knows if there's any connection between the two? However, they don't use the same tubes.

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #4,820 of 4,839
This amp looks very similar to a chinese one that doesn't exist anymore, Hifitu TI :

cPREMDl.jpg

I heard of it just by coincidence and had a short listen, was very pleased and searched for one on-line, but they disappeared, apparently they were sold on aliexpress around 180 euros.

Does anyone knows if there's any connection between the two? However, they don't use the same tubes.
With that big block at the back also, it does look like someone in China made a cheap knockoff.
The truth will be in the details, though. Right away, I bet that's not an Alps power switch. Is he point-to-point wiring everything in there?

Jan 20, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #4,821 of 4,839

cPREMDl.jpg

Normally I just lurk here, but the fact that the power switch on this amp has an "off" and "no" position makes me need to chime in. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence:joy:

Jan 21, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #4,823 of 4,839
I guess that's the real issue regarding cheap Chinese knockoffs. What is the best design to modify into a much cheaper unit?
Also the CE sticker on top looks kind of weird to me. Would be really interesting if the unit was officially tested.

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #4,824 of 4,839
That was also my first thought, I can't find anything relevant online except for two photos.
Like everybody else, I'm assuming that it's a knockoff and not the other way around, even most of tube amps come from China and they are highly regarded: Xduoo, Little dot, Cayin, Willsenton and many others.
Also many designs like Vincent audio or Primaluna are made in China, we have to give them credit for that.

Jan 21, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #4,826 of 4,839
Although it might kinda look like the WA6, there really is nothing else remotely similar: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32423797220.html

and I'm still not sure if I would trust it not to burst into flames the first time I turned it no :laughing:

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #4,827 of 4,839
With Gen 1, 12A#7 --> 6DE7 adapters, from Xuling Audio Lab, can be used to vastly expand the list of eligible driver tubes: 12AT7 / ECC81, 12AU7 / ECC82, 12AX7 / ECC83. Also, Woo Audio and Xuling Audio Lab make 6SN7 --> 6DE7 adapters which allow for use of 6SN7 tubes. The Woo Audio adapters are gorgeous!

EDIT:
All the above, however, does not apply to SE versions - Gen 1 and Gen 2 😕.

I did pick up a Gen 1 WA6 SE. So I've ben reading through this and the actual WA6 / WA6 SE thread and am a little confused as to which adpaters would make the most sense to pick up for prospective tube rolling if any. I had almost ordered a couple of the 12A#7 --> 6De7 but fortunately saw the reply in time saying the two adapter above won't work for the SE Gen 1. But are there any others that would make sense are worth the bang for the buck? Thanks for any advice!

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #4,828 of 4,839
I did pick up a Gen 1 WA6 SE. So I've ben reading through this and the actual WA6 / WA6 SE thread and am a little confused as to which adpaters would make the most sense to pick up for prospective tube rolling if any. I had almost ordered a couple of the 12A#7 --> 6De7 but fortunately saw the reply in time saying the two adapter above won't work for the SE Gen 1. But are there any others that would make sense are worth the bang for the buck? Thanks for any advice!
For WA6SE Gen. 1, the Woo Audio 6EM7/13EM7 => 6DE7/13DE7 adapters ($70 USD each) will work. The 6DE7 and 6EM7 tubes are 'unequal triode' tubes. The gain for the 6DE7 triodes are 17.0x, 6.0x; the gain for the 6EM7 triodes are 64.0x, 5.4x. The higher gain, overall, for the 6EM7 might raise the noise floor - possibly audible with no music / soft passages.

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #4,829 of 4,839
As @phoneslave86 suggested, I’ll go back to basic drivers for a few days. Cleaned a couple RCA 6DE7 and combined with one of my favorite rectifiers, Mullard CV378. Texture, touch, depth, acoustic bass especially alive.

Attachments

• IMG_2057.jpeg
    IMG_2057.jpeg
    367.2 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back