Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jan 13, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #4,802 of 4,839
You guys are too going to be dead if you think people are going to care about a $400 fuse when it's not even sex.
.... the object of all the gear (cables, components, AND fuses) is eargasm from music that we love .... 😂🤣😂🤣 ....

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #4,803 of 4,839
.... the object of all the gear (cables, components, AND fuses) is eargasm from music that we love .... 😂🤣😂🤣 ....
No, that's the joke can't tell. Mean people will want tell that usual joke about why you're an audiophile, stick to serious about not that. Stay away from drugs, too, although purity and all of it actually will help, too. But if we stick to talking about it properly, it can help us the way we want.

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #4,804 of 4,839
No, that's the joke can't tell. Mean people will want tell that usual joke about why you're an audiophile, stick to serious about not that. Stay away from drugs, too, although purity and all of it actually will help, too. But if we stick to talking about it properly, it can help us the way we want.
?? 🤔😳 ??

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #4,805 of 4,839
You guys are too going to be dead if you think people are going to care about a $400 fuse when it's not even sex.
Oh man I love these $200 fuses for real and attribute a reasonable value to them. The combined filtering of the fuses directly inside of the equipment plus the noise reduction outside of it allows me to have good sound even when the power is noisy during the day. I can't say they do much or anything though if the power was perfect all of the time. The sound has always been great late, late at night but gets worse and worse during the day. The fuses help get the clean power sound during the day but they are not the answer on their own either and must be combined with the rest.

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #4,806 of 4,839
Oh man I love these $200 fuses for real and attribute a reasonable value to them. The combined filtering of the fuses directly inside of the equipment plus the noise reduction outside of it allows me to have good sound even when the power is noisy during the day. I can't say they do much or anything though if the power was perfect all of the time. The sound has always been great late, late at night but gets worse and worse during the day. The fuses help get the clean power sound during the day but they are not the answer on their own either and must be combined with the rest.
Thanks, smartass. I will refuse to listen to any descriptions at this time, as the bigger problem is an interface to convert my usb to i2s is getting all the rave, $500 for the stock, or $1000 for the much better model with internal power regeneration, and it has an external clock port where even only a cheap $300 external clock will show you that all your tracks play along with an lousy metronome, and your current sound is actually not very analogue at all, because of that.

Jan 13, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #4,807 of 4,839
Thanks, smartass. I will refuse to listen to any descriptions at this time, as the bigger problem is an interface to convert my usb to i2s is getting all the rave, $500 for the stock, or $1000 for the much better model with internal power regeneration, and it has an external clock port where even only a cheap $300 external clock will show you that all your tracks play along with an lousy metronome, and your current sound is actually not very analogue at all, because of that.
Not intending to be a smartass or anything like that. Just enjoy talking about this stuff a bit too much to be honest. I just have to defend the fuse after the $400 fuse comment the way I took it, and fuses have value to me considering they are a fraction of the cost of the equipment. I wouldn't have bought a single fuse at $400. But given I have quite a bit invested into each piece of equipment I'm willing to invest 1/5 to 1/10 the average cost of equipment into these fuses on critical equipment only. I was crazy enough to buy a fuse before I even had a DDC or I2s and benefitted even to the of point smiling on and off for days about the effect of this thing. But yea obviously equipment is a smarter choice to invest in first and I'd have to recommend doing it that way to anyone else. I think I was a bit mis-focused related to your topic as the fuse topic distracted me.

*Edit* I must add, I completely agree with what your saying about equipment here. My DDC (gustard U18) is very susceptible to noise. It took very many things, much TLC to baby it and keep it safe and quiet. It's not a bad idea going for the most resilient equipment noise wise you can, especially if you don't have a power conditioner or are prepared to support the equipment. Seems like 50/50 of us has some extent of noisy power some of the time.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #4,808 of 4,839
Not intending to be a smartass or anything like that. Just enjoy talking about this stuff a bit too much to be honest. I just have to defend the fuse after the $400 fuse comment the way I took it, and fuses have value to me considering they are a fraction of the cost of the equipment. I wouldn't have bought a single fuse at $400. But given I have quite a bit invested into each piece of equipment I'm willing to invest 1/5 to 1/10 the average cost of equipment into these fuses on critical equipment only. I was crazy enough to buy a fuse before I even had a DDC or I2s and benefitted even to the of point smiling on and off for days about the effect of this thing. But yea obviously equipment is a smarter choice to invest in first and I'd have to recommend doing it that way to anyone else. I think I was a bit mis-focused related to your topic as the fuse topic distracted me.

*Edit* I must add, I completely agree with what your saying about equipment here. My DDC (gustard U18) is very susceptible to noise. It took very many things, much TLC to baby it and keep it safe and quiet. It's not a bad idea going for the most resilient equipment noise wise you can, especially if you don't have a power conditioner or are prepared to support the equipment. Seems like 50/50 of us has some extent of noisy power some of the time.
Yeah, thanks, it was after a joke that I introduced, I'm stopping now. How would you compare the difference in performance improvement between your fuses and DDC?

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #4,809 of 4,839
Because the fuse is the 'portal' that electricity faces when entering the amplifier (or other component), the ability of the fuse to provide surge protection - without generating spurious energy - allows 'downstream' circuitry to operate in 'optimal' fashion. This is where the perception of higher sound quality arises.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #4,810 of 4,839
Yeah, thanks, it was after a joke that I introduced, I'm stopping now. How would you compare the difference in performance improvement between your fuses and DDC?
No prob, thanks, I see that. The initial euphoric effect of adding the fuse was about the same as when I got my DDC but the lasting effect on the sound is not as much not to mention it doesn't even come close to the value equipment brings but it's also quite a bit less cost so it's hard to compare this stuff. Its value is with someone trying to add it all up and get to a very low noise. SQ comes from low noise and good timing in both the network and equipment. Every time I've added a fuse I hear a drop in noise with the typical effect on SQ but they are far from being a solution on their own as even my power conditioner is not the solution by itself. I'm not sure they would be audible at night time here. It unfortunately took so many things to beat the noise here and also bad network. I still need to improve more things and am still learning. Something way better than a fuse for someone whose still trying to get equipment is a $50 GS108E switch. Wow that thing was worth 3 fuses and showed me how bad my network was. All the fuses added up though make me feel good when the power is nasty, adding a tiny nano filter directly inside of equipment helps. I've seen a number of high tech filters work and not kill dynamics at this point but they will be invisible if it doesn't need it.

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #4,811 of 4,839
Condisering buying a WA6 SE either gen 1 or gen 2. If you can pick up a gen 1 for say $150 less than a gen 2 and they are both in excellent shape any compelling reason to buy the gen 2? Understood about tubes not being interchangable but from the chatter it sounds like there is not much sonic difference? Thanks for any advice!

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #4,812 of 4,839
Condisering buying a WA6 SE either gen 1 or gen 2. If you can pick up a gen 1 for say $150 less than a gen 2 and they are both in excellent shape any compelling reason to buy the gen 2? Understood about tubes not being interchangable but from the chatter it sounds like there is not much sonic difference? Thanks for any advice!
With Gen 1, 12A#7 --> 6DE7 adapters, from Xuling Audio Lab, can be used to vastly expand the list of eligible driver tubes: 12AT7 / ECC81, 12AU7 / ECC82, 12AX7 / ECC83. Also, Woo Audio and Xuling Audio Lab make 6SN7 --> 6DE7 adapters which allow for use of 6SN7 tubes. The Woo Audio adapters are gorgeous!

EDIT:
All the above, however, does not apply to SE versions - Gen 1 and Gen 2 😕.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #4,813 of 4,839
EDIT:
All the above, however, does not apply to SE versions - Gen 1 and Gen 2 😕.
This is hitting on the power of the diminutive WA6 especially in gen 1 form. Such a range of tubes to roll. Many remain very affordable and bring endless entertainment value. I got lost in my tube collection today and that seriously cut down on listening time... selected some cheap ugly ones and loaded up the 6. Having a blast with 2020 Utopia on Silver Dragons and going to move on to HD800. Woo WDS-1 on DAC duty. Aside from the McMurdo socket savers, pictured below, Woo has been able to put together adapters for every need I have had. Pricey, yes, but also flawless.

WA66FD75Z3.jpg

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #4,814 of 4,839
Using the Woo Audio 596 => 5U4 adapter and the Woo Audio 6SN7 => 6DE7 adapters, here is WA6 Gen 1 in 'combat mode'
D21804AD-B4FC-4363-ACB2-7E2C4AC30C28.jpeg
[Sixilla]

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #4,815 of 4,839
In more 'civilian' (?) garb, my favourite tube trio in WA6 Gen 1 is ....
9D2E6174-7D33-4106-AC15-0CBCCA39E962.jpeg
.... NOS Mullard GZ34 (7-notch plates, dual getters, copper lined supports) with pair of Telefunken ECC801S .... 🎼 🙂 🎶

Users who are viewing this thread

Back