Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Sep 10, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #3,796 of 4,839
Hello!

On monday I will buy a Woo Audio WASE 2nd gen tube amp, my question would be the following:

- Does the RCA cable will improve / decrease the sound quality? If improve, then any recommendations (low-med-high end)
- My DAC is a BursonAudio Conductor 3REF which operates as a DAC/AMP. Anyone tried out this combo before?
- What are those tubes which greatly increase the sound quality / stage / everything on the amp? There is any "good all-rounder" combo, or it's totally depends on our own taste?
- Is there a website which helps me with the possible compatible tubes except what I could find on the woo audio website? There is a good and reliable website which delivers Tubes to Europe (Hungary) ?

Thank you the help guys!:)

Regards,
kebcy

Sep 11, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #3,797 of 4,839
- What are those tubes which greatly increase the sound quality / stage / everything on the amp? There is any "good all-rounder" combo, or it's totally depends on our own taste?

I think it partly comes down to taste, your ears, placebo, trying new things and narrowing your preferences over time.

Although having said that, I thought the stock rectifier was disappointing and anyone would benefit from upgrading it. I'm glad I ordered a Sophia 274B when I purchased the amp.

Right now I'm using a Linlai E274B rectifier and still using the stock 13DE7s. I've put 30 hours into it and I'm very happy with it. It definitely has more body and separation than the princess and most importantly the bass is a lot cleaner.

I still have a GZ32 CV593 incoming as well as a pair of NOS 13FD7s and NOS 13DE7s so once those come in (if ever) I feel i'll have a better opinion of the linlai.

Sep 11, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #3,798 of 4,839
I think it partly comes down to taste, your ears, placebo, trying new things and narrowing your preferences over time.

Although having said that, I thought the stock rectifier was disappointing and anyone would benefit from upgrading it. I'm glad I ordered a Sophia 274B when I purchased the amp.

Right now I'm using a Linlai E274B rectifier and still using the stock 13DE7s. I've put 30 hours into it and I'm very happy with it. It definitely has more body and separation than the princess and most importantly the bass is a lot cleaner.

I still have a GZ32 CV593 incoming as well as a pair of NOS 13FD7s and NOS 13DE7s so once those come in (if ever) I feel i'll have a better opinion of the linlai.
Yeah, i figured this out myself as well, just I heard a lot of bad things about the stock tubes (rectifier and driver tubes) and this is why I would like to change it down asap, also of course to try out the tube rolling "hobby" if we can call this to a hobby.

Sep 11, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #3,799 of 4,839
Yeah, i figured this out myself as well, just I heard a lot of bad things about the stock tubes (rectifier and driver tubes) and this is why I would like to change it down asap, also of course to try out the tube rolling "hobby" if we can call this to a hobby.
I think the stock drivers are decent, though IMHO the amp does sound a little better with 13FD7s. The biggest and most obvious difference comes from changing the rectifier. A 5AR4 or GZ34 NOS seemed to work best for me, but really everything I tried sounded better than the stock rectifier.

Sep 11, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #3,800 of 4,839
@kebcy

I'm not sure if you have been on the thread 'Dubstep Girl's Massive Rectifier Review'

Tons of useful stuff, worth checking out..

Sep 11, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #3,801 of 4,839
This is my first foray into tubes and tube rolling as well. It's just over a month now and my wallet is a little lighter too 🙃 but my ears are loving it.

Like other interests there's something about dialling in your gear to just how you want it.

Sep 13, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #3,802 of 4,839
So I just recently ordered my WA6SE 2nd gen from AudioMonkey with a Sophia Electric driver tube, and actually in here Hungary I found a good webshop which sells 5AR4 and GZ34 NOS rectifiers as well, so I look forward to roll some tubes!

Mostly I listen rock/jazz/new-retro-wave genres, and actually lot of them have vocals. There is any "vocal oriented" tubes?

@strider1007

I will check it out! Massive thank you!​

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #3,803 of 4,839
Here in Hungary I found a good webshop which sells 5AR4 and GZ34 NOS rectifiers as well, so I look forward to roll some tubes!

@strider1007

I will check it out! Massive thank you!​

It is my prediction that you are going to enjoy your new toys a lot !

Any chance you could post a link to the webshop you mentioned? One can never have enough hobby-links in one's browser.. :L3000:

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #3,804 of 4,839
It is my prediction that you are going to enjoy your new toys a lot !

Any chance you could post a link to the webshop you mentioned? One can never have enough hobby-links in one's browser.. :L3000:
Hey!

For sure!
https://stageshop.hu/hu/erosito-alkatreszek/elektroncsovek/high-end-hifi-elektroncsovek

https://audiophile-szalon.hu/termekkategoria/erositok/csovek-kiegeszitok/

https://kytary.hu/gitarok/gitarkombok/elektroncsovek/

https://www.thomann.de/hu/ruby_gleichrichterroehre_gz34.htm

On the kytary I found the 5AR4 on a relatively good price, I thought these tubes are much more expensive, but seems like it depends on the company who made, also if these tubes are NOS or not NOS ones..

These tubes needs some kind of expanding slot, or how do I know that they will going to fit well into my WA6SE?

Sep 14, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #3,805 of 4,839
Hello!

On monday I will buy a Woo Audio WASE 2nd gen tube amp, my question would be the following:

- Does the RCA cable will improve / decrease the sound quality? If improve, then any recommendations (low-med-high end)
- My DAC is a BursonAudio Conductor 3REF which operates as a DAC/AMP. Anyone tried out this combo before?
- Is there a website which helps me with the possible compatible tubes except what I could find on the woo audio website? There is a good and reliable website which delivers Tubes to Europe (Hungary) ?

Thank you the help guys!:)

Regards,
kebcy
Hello there,

I am new to WA6 SE (2nd Gen). I use Burson 3XP on the RCA out, driving the HEDDphone on the high-Z output. The imaging of this combo is spectacular. I use LP Slow on the filter settings

I purchased 5U4GB-RCA from Watford valves in the UK for 45 GBP. got some Brimars 5R4GY coming soon, as it is well-rated in this forum. I bought these for 20 GBP from the same place

I noticed immediately from upgrading the stock tubes is that it is a lot less congested (better separation, soundstage and imaging) and transients are a lot smoother. This is comparing a fully burned in stock tube vs. my RCA tubes which only have 6 hours at the time me writing this.

You do not need to spend 200 USD on the princess, even though they look really pretty and is also a well-rated tube.

Sep 14, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #3,807 of 4,839
Hello there,

I am new to WA6 SE (2nd Gen). I use Burson 3XP on the RCA out, driving the HEDDphone on the high-Z output. The imaging of this combo is spectacular. I use LP Slow on the filter settings

I purchased 5U4GB-RCA from Watford valves in the UK for 45 GBP. got some Brimars 5R4GY coming soon, as it is well-rated in this forum. I bought these for 20 GBP from the same place

I noticed immediately from upgrading the stock tubes is that it is a lot less congested (better separation, soundstage and imaging) and transients are a lot smoother. This is comparing a fully burned in stock tube vs. my RCA tubes which only have 6 hours at the time me writing this.

You do not need to spend 200 USD on the princess, even though they look really pretty and is also a well-rated tube.
Hey!

How does the RCA works for you? I mean the default burson RCA? I do think it has a good performance, tho I really did not used it so I am just guessing right now. Does the filter settings change the sound signiature a lot or it's just personal preference? This depends mostly on the listening source, right?

I am thinking about to get the 5AR4 or GZ34 but the chances are literally limitless.
Do I have to use any kind of extender or something for the tubes? How do I know if the tube (later) what I will buy it will going to fit inside the amplifier? What about voltages?
Is that true, that before I would listen any kind of music, I do have to warm them up, for like 5 minute or more? What happens when I turn on my PC then 1 minute later, the AMP which is connected to my DAC and Headphone? It will damage it?

Sep 14, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #3,808 of 4,839
Hey!

How does the RCA works for you? I mean the default burson RCA? I do think it has a good performance, tho I really did not used it so I am just guessing right now. Does the filter settings change the sound signiature a lot or it's just personal preference? This depends mostly on the listening source, right?

I am thinking about to get the 5AR4 or GZ34 but the chances are literally limitless.
Do I have to use any kind of extender or something for the tubes? How do I know if the tube (later) what I will buy it will going to fit inside the amplifier? What about voltages?
Is that true, that before I would listen any kind of music, I do have to warm them up, for like 5 minute or more? What happens when I turn on my PC then 1 minute later, the AMP which is connected to my DAC and Headphone? It will damage it?

Hey sorry for not being clear, I mean RCA output of my Burson 3XP and plugging it into the RCA input of the WA 6SE. Filter changes are very subtle. AP Fast tends to have faster decay and better separation as well as soundstage. I chose LP slow for more decay and bass bloom, in exchange for less separation and narrower soundstage.

I usually let them warm up for about 30+ mins before I listen to them or else things sound a bit muffled. I do not judge the tubes until after 50+ hrs of burn-in. Shouldnt be any damage for turning it on too early. The warm-up period is mainly to get the tubes to sound at their prime. Woo audio advises you do not to leave the amp running without any HPs plugged in though to prevent damage.

You do not need extender/adapter for most aftermarket rectifiers with the exception of a few. Download the manual from Woo Audio which tells you which ones are compatible and if you need an extra adapter for that specific rectifier model. Woo audio sells the adapter like for the USAF 596 and the 13EM7 upgrade tubes.

Look at this thread for advice on the tubes:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dub...mparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread.694525/

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #3,810 of 4,839
Hey sorry for not being clear, I mean RCA output of my Burson 3XP and plugging it into the RCA input of the WA 6SE. Filter changes are very subtle. AP Fast tends to have faster decay and better separation as well as soundstage. I chose LP slow for more decay and bass bloom, in exchange for less separation and narrower soundstage.

I usually let them warm up for about 30+ mins before I listen to them or else things sound a bit muffled. I do not judge the tubes until after 50+ hrs of burn-in. Shouldnt be any damage for turning it on too early. The warm-up period is mainly to get the tubes to sound at their prime. Woo audio advises you do not to leave the amp running without any HPs plugged in though to prevent damage.

You do not need extender/adapter for most aftermarket rectifiers with the exception of a few. Download the manual from Woo Audio which tells you which ones are compatible and if you need an extra adapter for that specific rectifier model. Woo audio sells the adapter like for the USAF 596 and the 13EM7 upgrade tubes.

Look at this thread for advice on the tubes:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dub...mparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread.694525/
Hey!

Now it makes more sens! Thank you that you clarified this for me! :D

I fiddled back then on my Burson Audio Conductor 3REF with the filters, but I did not noticed any kind of change, right now I am using on MP_SLOW, but I definitely will give a try to it again.

As it seems, I will receive it when I am working, so if I put it together where I work, and I turn it on to warm-up a little, is this a good or bad idea?
So I won't gonna damage the amp or the tubes if I turn it on, and like a min later I will start to listen music or play games? Is that right? I have some experience with the warm-up period, back then, when I ordered my Conductor with the S6 opamps, after 250 hours the sound started to feel much more "alive" and "precise" for me.

Thank you! I already looked after the rectifiers, I just wanted to be sure if I can screw it up, or no! :D

I already checked that thread, and I do think, maybe I can get a western electric 422 or Mullard, but I need some time to figure it out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back