Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jan 8, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #3,556 of 4,839
I just received my WA6-SE. This is my first tube amp and I'm excited to get started. I have a couple of questions I haven't been able to find the answer to:

1. When I turn it on, the light blinks for a few seconds before it seems to kick on. Is this normal operation, and if so, what is the purpose for the delay?
2. Once on, I can hear a faint buzz/hum from the power supply side. Is this normal?

I appreciate any thoughts and look forward to jumping into this.

I recall my 6SE blinked too, and IIRC it signals from the rectifier that the output tubes are coming up to power, as is common on many tube amps. I wouldn’t worry. But I would look at upgrading the stock 5 U4G rectifier tube to either a Brimar (these used to be cheaper, maybe see Langrex tube store), RCA 5U4G (see tube depot) or if your feeling flush, a Sophia 274b. I was surprised that changes to this tube would be so audible but they were. Here is a longer thread about other potential substitutes that might work. I have the Brimar and Sophia and like both but the Sophia is prettier.

Probably need to describe the hum a bit - is it heard from the headphones or standing near the amp? On my WA5 there is a small screw pot that you adjust to eliminate the hum but I don’t recall the same on my previously owned WA6SE. Transformer hum is not uncommon but it usually is a sign related to either a tube or poor AC grounding. By chance do you have a dimmer switch on the same AC circuit feeding your amp? Those are known to cause hum too.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #3,557 of 4,839
He's referring to the two different versions of Gen 1, one which is pre-2010 and the other is from 2010-2017. The main difference is that some of the driver tubes that are compatable on the newer Gen 1 aren't compatable on the older one.

I'll just say that I got my amp (Gen 1, pre-2010) back from the shop last night, and with a pair of NOS 6EW7's and a Brimar 5Z4GY, I am in pure audio bliss! I'm pretty sure it's really all I'll ever need. Not really wondering about the 6FD7's at all.

I say that if you're gonna be kicking yourself the whole time asking what 6FD7's would sound like, hold off until you find one. But if you can put it out of your mind and just enjoy everything this amp has to offer, go with the pre-2010 version. You really can't go wrong.

This is correct, thanks a lot. Gen 1 pre 2010 is a bit different to Gen 1 post 2010. Gen 2 is 2017 - now. Hard decission:)

Jan 15, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #3,558 of 4,839
@RobertSM You were absolutely right about the Toshiba 6DE7s from Woo Audio! Very high price, but they easily beat all of my other 6DE7's I've found on ebay. I even prefer them over the 6EW7's from Woo Audio. You really can hear the quality. Either than or it's some really, really good placebo.

Jan 15, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #3,559 of 4,839
@RobertSM You were absolutely right about the Toshiba 6DE7s from Woo Audio! Very high price, but they easily beat all of my other 6DE7's I've found on ebay. I even prefer them over the 6EW7's from Woo Audio. You really can hear the quality. Either than or it's some really, really good placebo.

Glad you love them. I can't take too much credit. The Toshiba 6DE7's from Woo were a suggestion from Mike Liang at Woo Audio. I've learned to trust his opinion and he was absolutely right. When you get some time take a look at the construction of the Toshiba 6DE7's. To my eye they look to be on another level to any other 6DE7 that I've seen. Really a fantastic tube!

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #3,560 of 4,839
Glad you love them. I can't take too much credit. The Toshiba 6DE7's from Woo were a suggestion from Mike Liang at Woo Audio. I've learned to trust his opinion and he was absolutely right. When you get some time take a look at the construction of the Toshiba 6DE7's. To my eye they look to be on another level to any other 6DE7 that I've seen. Really a fantastic tube!
I wouldn't be surprised if they were. And yeah, Mike's the man!

Jan 19, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #3,561 of 4,839
My WA6-SE hums more or less depending on the rectifier. Even with a him it doesn't transfer to the headphones. I wouldn't worry about it.

Jan 20, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #3,562 of 4,839
Been doing some tube rolling. Latest is the Mullard GZ37 with some fat bottle Sylvania’s.

Attachments

• 1BE967F0-6082-4364-9413-0E1CA0BC6092.jpeg
    1BE967F0-6082-4364-9413-0E1CA0BC6092.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jan 21, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #3,563 of 4,839
I know it's generally a bad idea to run a transformer tube amp without a speaker or headphone load, but I would think it OK to briefly do so with a WA6SE in changing headphones or headphone cables (as long as volume is set to zero). Any comments?

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #3,566 of 4,839
I know it's generally a bad idea to run a transformer tube amp without a speaker or headphone load, but I would think it OK to briefly do so with a WA6SE in changing headphones or headphone cables (as long as volume is set to zero). Any comments?
This is something I did not know! What’s the danger?

Jan 21, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #3,570 of 4,839
I have the WA5LE and you can do it with that amp. But with the WA5 you must turn it off Or have it in low gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back