Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jan 21, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #3,571 of 4,839
I know it's generally a bad idea to run a transformer tube amp without a speaker or headphone load, but I would think it OK to briefly do so with a WA6SE in changing headphones or headphone cables (as long as volume is set to zero). Any comments?

I've always heard/thought that it was OK to leave a transformer-coupled amp (like the WA6) with no load, but you shouldn't leave an OTL (output-transformer-less) amp (like the WA3) running with no load. I have a WA6 and a WA3 and for both amps I turn the volume all the way down before unplugging and plugging in headphones. I also leave the volume all the way down when the amp is on with no headphone connected. No issues so far with either amp.

Jan 21, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #3,572 of 4,839
I've always heard/thought that it was OK to leave a transformer-coupled amp (like the WA6) with no load, but you shouldn't leave an OTL (output-transformer-less) amp (like the WA3) running with no load. I have a WA6 and a WA3 and for both amps I turn the volume all the way down before unplugging and plugging in headphones. I also leave the volume all the way down when the amp is on with no headphone connected. No issues so far with either amp.
So I've actually been haing some problems with my WA6-SE recently, and I just emailed Mike at Woo Audio with this question. He just responded that it's important that any tube amplifier have a load when powered on, that otherwise it might cause damage to the amp. He didn't mention anything about transformer-coupled vs OTL. I think I'm just gonna play it safe from now on.

On the other hand I used to have a DarkVoice that I left on without headphones plugged in...and I definitely had a couple problems with it! Glad to finally know why!!

Jan 21, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #3,573 of 4,839
So I've actually been haing some problems with my WA6-SE recently, and I just emailed Mike at Woo Audio with this question. He just responded that it's important that any tube amplifier have a load when powered on, that otherwise it might cause damage to the amp. He didn't mention anything about transformer-coupled vs OTL. I think I'm just gonna play it safe from now on.

On the other hand I used to have a DarkVoice that I left on without headphones plugged in...and I definitely had a couple problems with it! Glad to finally know why!!

That's nice to know. I've regularly let my WA6 warm up for 10 to 20 minutes before listening.

Jan 21, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #3,574 of 4,839
Thanks. Most specifically, if the volume control is set to zero there is no signal at the first stage tube input. Wouldn't it be all right to operate the amp without a headphone load for a few minutes?

Theoretically yes, but as a guitar amp tech once told me, you never know what's going on outside of our auditory range. A small oscillation can become a big problem very fast under those circumstances and we'd never even know it.

Jan 23, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #3,575 of 4,839
He's referring to the two different versions of Gen 1, one which is pre-2010 and the other is from 2010-2017. The main difference is that some of the driver tubes that are compatable on the newer Gen 1 aren't compatable on the older one.

I'll just say that I got my amp (Gen 1, pre-2010) back from the shop last night, and with a pair of NOS 6EW7's and a Brimar 5Z4GY, I am in pure audio bliss! I'm pretty sure it's really all I'll ever need. Not really wondering about the 6FD7's at all.

I say that if you're gonna be kicking yourself the whole time asking what 6FD7's would sound like, hold off until you find one. But if you can put it out of your mind and just enjoy everything this amp has to offer, go with the pre-2010 version. You really can't go wrong.

I am joining to the club with Wa6se 1st gen i have bough with Westinghouse 6FD7, Sylvania 6EW7 and Sophia. Delivery seems slow nowadays and i do not have it yet, but hope it will be delivered within a couple of days. Will also look for a nice pair of 6de7.

i can not wait to listen to it with Empyreans. Hope it will be dynamic enough for meze:)

Jan 24, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #3,576 of 4,839
WA6-SE, Indian Almond Aeolus, and "My Sweet Lord." Ok guys, I think I'm all set!
IMG_4080.jpeg

Jan 29, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #3,578 of 4,839
WA6-SE, Indian Almond Aeolus, and "My Sweet Lord." Ok guys, I think I'm all set!
IMG_4080.jpeg

I’m a big fan of ZMFs and the WA-6SE. Yup, you’re all set.

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #3,579 of 4,839
Was hoping someone here might be able to help me as I'm waiting to hear back from Woo.

Looking at the manual for the WA6 & WA6 SE v1 it says that some of the tubes, like the 6SN7 "For WA6 Only. A 8-pin to 9-pin adapter is needed." Does that mean that the 6SN7 is not compatible with the WA6 SE?

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #3,580 of 4,839
Was hoping someone here might be able to help me as I'm waiting to hear back from Woo.

Looking at the manual for the WA6 & WA6 SE v1 it says that some of the tubes, like the 6SN7 "For WA6 Only. A 8-pin to 9-pin adapter is needed." Does that mean that the 6SN7 is not compatible with the WA6 SE?
I think it’s more that they are compatable, but not at all recommended. At least that’s what I remember Mike saying. I have a feeling they significantly lower the output power of the amp.

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #3,581 of 4,839
Mostly for @Barnstormer13, but open to anyone:

I see in your sig you have the BF2, WA6-SE & Lyr3 with some ZMF and Focal headphones. I also have a BF2 and have been looking at the Lyr3 or WA6 SE to go with my Atticus (on order) and Elegia and Elex (as well as LCD-2C). From what I can gather, the Lyr3 should have a smaller sound stage and less variance due to tube rolling vs the WA6, but was curious what other differences you've noticed? I listen to about 50/50 hard rock/metal and jazz/classical.

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #3,582 of 4,839
Mostly for @Barnstormer13, but open to anyone:

I see in your sig you have the BF2, WA6-SE & Lyr3 with some ZMF and Focal headphones. I also have a BF2 and have been looking at the Lyr3 or WA6 SE to go with my Atticus (on order) and Elegia and Elex (as well as LCD-2C). From what I can gather, the Lyr3 should have a smaller sound stage and less variance due to tube rolling vs the WA6, but was curious what other differences you've noticed? I listen to about 50/50 hard rock/metal and jazz/classical.

For the ZMFs and the Elex (I gave away my Elex about a month ago) the Woo is awesome. For the Clear, not so much. The Clear’s lower impedance (50 ohm) makes the bass kind of loose. I think the Elegia also has a lowish impedance too so I would check that.

Re comparison to the Lyr 3: The Lyr 3 is more flexible with it’s SS output stage so it works great with ZMFs, Focals, or pretty much any headphone. The Woo works best when pushing against a high-ish impedance. Low impedance planars work, but you lose a lot of bass I think because the transformer isn’t so good at delivering lots of current at low frequencies. Your LCD-2C should be fine at 72 ohms though.

The biggest advantages of the Woo are a more euphonic sound, more air and enhanced imaging- The woo gives the sense you’re sitting farther away from the stage, but it sounds more real. The factory rectifier blows greasy chunks. It’s pretty much a must do to replace it if you want the Woo to really shine. The driver tubes make a difference as well, but not as much as the Rectifier (dunno why).

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #3,583 of 4,839
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Was hoping that the WA6-SE had enough to properly drive my lower impedance headphones which seem far more common now. Even the latest Focal Celestee (like my Elegia) is down in the 30's so even lower than your Clear. I know the Lyr3 will drive everything I have properly, but was hoping for decent-ish sound stage & imaging- which obviously my closed backs are going to struggle with, but need something closed for the WAF.

For the price, maybe I should just get the Lyr3 and a cheaper OTL amp for the Atticus. Probably not the DarkVoice (although tempting since it's $200 on Drop right now) but maybe I could build a Crack+SB. Or just bite the bullet and go big and get both like you did. WA6-SE would definitely look a lot more at home next to the BF2 & Lyr3 than the DV or Crack would and we all know that's the important part. :ksc75smile:

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #3,584 of 4,839
Looks definitely matter :)
A0DE4E49-3703-4CE3-8F61-E9B1CFF1C378.jpeg

The WA6 has plenty of power, it’s more about what happens with the damping factor and what happens to the output voltage with changing impedance, which you may like. Also, there are tube amps with lower output impedance than the WA6-SE, though they aren’t cheap. DNA starlet comes to mind.

Also, it’s not that the Lyr does a bad job with soundstage and imaging. It’s quite good. Just not as good as the Woo.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #3,585 of 4,839
Looks definitely matter :)
A0DE4E49-3703-4CE3-8F61-E9B1CFF1C378.jpeg
The WA6 has plenty of power, it’s more about what happens with the damping factor and what happens to the output voltage with changing impedance, which you may like. Also, there are tube amps with lower output impedance than the WA6-SE, though they aren’t cheap. DNA starlet comes to mind.

Also, it’s not that the Lyr does a bad job with soundstage and imaging. It’s quite good. Just not as good as the Woo.
What a setup!! I'm about to go a similar route, and while my WA6-SE is getting checked out by Woo Audio, I'm picking up a Valhalla 2 to see how it compares. Got mostly 300-ohm headphones anyway, and I live so close to the Schiitr, so why not!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back