Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jul 9, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #2,971 of 4,839
*update* so i got the extensions adapters and im finally able to use 6sn7 now! was well worth it. Got 4 pair to try out, really loving the Ken-Rad with Brimar 5r4gy so far, its clear, very clean bass, natural vocals and a sense of space ! i might do a comparision thread.. been switching rectifiers (RCA 5r4g, Brimar 5r4gy, Sophia 274b, RT 5R4GYS and Fivre 5R4gy) so far my favorites are the Brimar 5R4GY and the RT 5R4GYS, seems to always get back to those 2 for some reason, the Brimar has an obvious step up in vocals compared to the other Rectifiers! and the RT has a fairly linear frequency response with a nice organic grain sound with good bass!! I did like the RCA too, but i find it to be close to a solid sate sound, although very nice, sounded too dry and not engaging enough for me.

@filip sebastian
youll have to try out yourself! what do you listen to/ what are you looking for?
look for Brimar, Sylvania, Ken-Rad, RCA, Tung-Sol, GE.

IMG_4446.JPG
IMG_4445.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4448.JPG
    IMG_4448.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #2,972 of 4,839

Here they are on a black Woo WA5-LE if you zoom in they look pretty good.
That is one intimidating setup !
Much like sitting on my deck on a hot summer afternoon watching a wicked thunderstorm roll in.

Aug 18, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #2,973 of 4,839
I've got both a WA6 and Maxxed WA6SE right now (trying to sell the SE!) and I'm trying to trade for a black WA6.
JoeDoe or anyone else: (my apologies if was answered in the thread, but didn't find it easily)
1. How does the WA6 compare to the WA6SE? On the fence buying a WA6 (or WA6SE) and was wondering whether the difference is noticeable and worth the extra $$$...
2. I could probably buy for the same $$$ new (2nd gen) WA6 or used 1st gen WA6SE. Any thoughts on which would be a better buy? 1st gen SE or 2nd gen non-SE?
3. Did anyone compare the Cayin HA-1A MK2 to the WA6 (or WA6SE)? Currently on sale for $750... so same price as new WA6 or 1st gen WA6SE... Choices... Choices... :angry:

I have in my stable: HD600, Ether Flow (open), AEON (closed), ZMF Atticus, HiFiMAN Edition X v2.

Thanks in advance for any info, thoughts and opinions :)

Aug 19, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #2,974 of 4,839
JoeDoe or anyone else: (my apologies if was answered in the thread, but didn't find it easily)
1. How does the WA6 compare to the WA6SE? On the fence buying a WA6 (or WA6SE) and was wondering whether the difference is noticeable and worth the extra $$$...
2. I could probably buy for the same $$$ new (2nd gen) WA6 or used 1st gen WA6SE. Any thoughts on which would be a better buy? 1st gen SE or 2nd gen non-SE?
3. Did anyone compare the Cayin HA-1A MK2 to the WA6 (or WA6SE)? Currently on sale for $750... so same price as new WA6 or 1st gen WA6SE... Choices... Choices... :angry:

I have in my stable: HD600, Ether Flow (open), AEON (closed), ZMF Atticus, HiFiMAN Edition X v2.

This is dealt with in other posts. However my take on the WA-6, original version was not positive. The amp, even with tubes that cost more than the amp had frequency range and detail limitations. I would go with the WA6SE original version over the WA6. The benefits of a separate power supply are incontrovertible. That said the newer version uses 13 volt tubes that severely limit tube rolling. As for the Cayin I've not heard it.

Aug 19, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #2,975 of 4,839

Hey Z,

I mostly lean towards the SE for your purposes. It puts out way more power, and the 600, Ether, and Atticus all benefit from more power as opposed to less. Not to mention the SE has two outputs and is a bit more tube rollable than the 2nd gen 6. To my ears, the SE naturally has a slightly less euphonic sound than the normal WA6 which means it's a little less picky when it comes to pairings.

The 6 has the edge in cost, footprint, and a slightly warmer stock sound which pairs better with cans like Grados, Denons, and maybe the HD800. Less power on tap however, so that's something to remember.

I can't speak to the Cayin

Aug 19, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #2,976 of 4,839
This is dealt with in other posts. However my take on the WA-6, original version was not positive. The amp, even with tubes that cost more than the amp had frequency range and detail limitations. I would go with the WA6SE original version over the WA6. The benefits of a separate power supply are incontrovertible. That said the newer version uses 13 volt tubes that severely limit tube rolling. As for the Cayin I've not heard it.
I understand the Gen 2 with its 13V tubes limits rolling, but does it solve the frequency range and detail limitation of the 1st gen WA6 (non-SE)?

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #2,980 of 4,839
Hi! First time poster...

I am pretty new to this hobby, and I tried to start easy...but then jumped right in. My current setup is a Mimby to WA6SE (which I just got new from Woo last week). Having a Magni3 and WA6SE to directly compare has been quite interesting. The Magni3 was fine, but the Woo is definitely the better amp...although not 12x better. I am happy with my purchase. It definitely makes the Sennheiser HD6XXs sing. I am just a few hours in though so I am still trying new things!

I do have a question though. The 13DE7s glow nicely, but the rectifier doesn't glow at all. Is this normal? Seems like it isn't, but it does sound good.

I did email Woo, and I am waiting for a response. I've never used tubes before so it could be user error.

Thanks for your info,
jc

In case you were wondering, I am a bass guitar player, and I am into a ridiculously deep V-shape sound signature. It is unnatural, but it pleases me. I am trying to ween myself off of this, but if I can't hear every flap of the bass string...I am not happy!

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #2,982 of 4,839
If the rectifier were not working you wouldn't have any output. Some tubes don't glow as much as others because the heating element is hidden behind the structure. If it get's hot then it's glowing even if you can't see the glow.
That's what I figured. It does get hot. I was just expecting the glow!!!! I guess I'll have to get a Sophia 274B now! OK, maybe after I enjoy the stock setup for a while.

Thanks,
jc

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #2,983 of 4,839
Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #2,985 of 4,839
Just picked up a used WA6 in mint condition. Early impressions are not too bad with stock tubes, however i find the mids somewhat distant and soft.

Are there any driver tubes that address this specific sonic aspect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back