Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Aug 9, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #2,672 of 4,839
  That's my current setup (AKG K812 and a WA6). I do like it quite a lot, however I've got very limited experience with other amps and headphones so I don't quite have the knowledge base to make a fair comparison!

A great pairing. We would love to see a pic or two. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #2,674 of 4,839

I am pretty much bed-ridden at the moment, and have had the WA6-SE hooked up to my Naim Uniti 2 so that when I can't sleep I can listen to some quality notes. The combination is making the HE-500 sing nicely. Nocturnal bliss.

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #2,678 of 4,839
TUBE SUGGESTIONS FOR RHYTHM FOCUSED CRITICAL LISTENER

Hi,
I am a newer WA6SE owner. I love music, and I am particularly drawn to the rhythm section of songs (and have been to my entire life).  This crosses genre boundaries: Jazz, Classical, Country, R&B, Hip-Hop, etc.  To be clear, I am not talking about bass for bass' sake, or being obsessed with the "beat" of music.  Cello, Bass, Drums, and even voices, all have a lower frequency component.  If a system can't reach low enough or under emphasizes the lower spectrum too much, I lose a bit of the enjoyment I seek.

I absolutely adore my WA6SE and its a great match for my Audeze LCD 2.  The one area where I am struggling a bit, is in the lower frequencies (as described above).  In particular (20-50hz).  I know that you cannot hear 10hz, and that below 80 hertz, you typically can't localize the sound, but it is there and its absence impacts my listening.  According to the Ken Rockwell Review, there is a steep frequency response drop on the WA6SE starting at about 50hz and moving down to 15hz.  This mirrors my own experience.  You can experiment with your system using the following test: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php

For comparison sake, I also have an Audeze Deckard and a Chord Mojo. Neither exhibits this same characteristic with the same source, music and headphones. In the WA6SE, I am currently using the upgraded Sophia Rectifier and the stock driver tubes. 

Q: Is there a tube combination that mitigates the lower frequency response drop off, without sacrificing the quality of the sound across the remainder of spectrum?

Thank you! 

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #2,679 of 4,839
TUBE SUGGESTIONS FOR RHYTHM FOCUSED CRITICAL LISTENER

Q: Is there a tube combination that mitigates the lower frequency response drop off, without sacrificing the quality of the sound across the remainder of spectrum?

Thank you! 

6FD7's have the most bass of all the various driver tubes I've tried (6DE7, 6EW7, 6DR7, 6FD7). A bit too much for me, personally. Am using AKG K712's. Best sounding/balanced driver tube for me is 6EW7.

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #2,680 of 4,839
6FD7's have the most bass of all the various driver tubes I've tried (6DE7, 6EW7, 6DR7, 6FD7). A bit too much for me, personally. Am using AKG K712's. Best sounding/balanced driver tube for me is 6EW7.

The 6FD7 (Big Bottles) do have nice tight bass which can be purchased through Woo, otherwise they can be hard to find.
The 6GL7/6EM7's (adapters needed) also have a very heavy overall bass presence IMO/IME, which were not to my liking, but @LoganRoss may.

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #2,681 of 4,839
Even though I have a listing up, I am still a bit on the fence about selling my WA 6SE. It is a great sounding amp with single ended sources.

I purchased a WA22 about two months ago to take advantage of my balanced Sony HAP1-ZES digital player. The reviews of the Sony player all said that using an amp with balanced inputs was essential for maximizing the quality of that player. After a month of listening, I agree that the WA22 is a better pairing than the 6SE for balanced sources.

When I compared the balanced (RCA) inputs using the same player, the WA22 had more defined detail (especially in the bass) and was more dynamic than the 6SE. This came at the cost of a slight loss in volume - loud on the SE6 is at the 11 o'clock position, while the same volume on the WA22 is at the 1-2 o'clock position. But there was less noise and no hum with the WA22. The 6SE is more lush and warm sounding in comparison.

But comparing only single ended inputs, I'd say is either a tie or a slight nod to the 6SE, which sounds a little more lush and musical, whereas the WA22 is a tad brighter. This is highly tube dependent, and the WA22 seems way more sensitive to tube rolling than the 6SE. I'm not convinced I've found the right tube pairing yet with the WA22.

I compared unbalanced outputs on both amps using only the Sony - I've not yet done a straight comparison using my vinyl setup (a VPI Prime table with an Ortofon 2M black. I'd guess they would be similar.

While I could sell the 6SE, one option is to keep it and run only my vinyl setup into it, and reserve the WA22 for balanced digital. They share the same rectifier, so tube rolling would be fun for both amps.

Another option is to upgrade my phono stage to one with a balanced output, and take advantage of the WA22's better treatment of balanced sources.

I suppose a third option would be to chuck both the WA22 and 6SE and find a used WA5, but I am a bit put off by the very high prices for the 300B tubes, and the WA5 is a good jump up in price. That's an option for another day and another dollar.

What would you do? Money is not the main priority, but I'd like to recapture some of the cost of my recent turntable upgrade.

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #2,682 of 4,839
Hello WA6-ers! Once upon a time WA6SE owner checking in, offering a question to the panel:

Anyone out there lay ears on an Icon HP8 mkII? That's my current amp and I'm curious to know how they compare. If anyone has experience with both, please chime in!

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #2,683 of 4,839
Alrighty then, new line of questioning for you tube junkies: anyone have experience with this 5Z4?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272412949928

Been doing quite a bit of reading in this thread, and I've got a couple inexpensive rectifiers en route. Was considering pulling the trigger on this guy just for fun.

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #2,684 of 4,839
Alrighty then, new line of questioning for you tube junkies: anyone have experience with this 5Z4?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272412949928

Been doing quite a bit of reading in this thread, and I've got a couple inexpensive rectifiers en route. Was considering pulling the trigger on this guy just for fun.

I have this 5Z4 with the steel cover and from what i can remember when i first put in the amp it ran very hot i could smell burning paint contacted Woo and they say it was ok..Dont remember how it sounded                                                                                                                                                                        

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back