Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Feb 17, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #2,448 of 4,844
In the package I got when I bought this SE, there is a box of various tubes. In it I have some adapters from woo for 6GL7-6DE7. The other 8 pin tubes I have are: 6EM7, 6DN7 and 6EA7. Can I use that same adapter for these other tubes?

The 6EM7/6GL7 will work with the same adapter. Not sure about the others, why don't you e-mail Woo and ask them? 

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #2,449 of 4,844
I got my  Brimar 5Z4G today.  So far it seems a bit "tinny".  Do these need a lot of break in time.  I have noticed the bass is cleaner and more pronounced though.  I need to give it some serious listen time :)

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #2,450 of 4,844
  I got my  Brimar 5Z4G today.  So far it seems a bit "tinny".  Do these need a lot of break in time.  I have noticed the bass is cleaner and more pronounced though.  I need to give it some serious listen time :)

That's a nice tube you've got I also have a pair of them  I've also got a pair of mullard 5z4g's early 1940's that imo is far nicer sounding. there hard to find but very much worth it..Enjoy

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #2,452 of 4,844
OK I need help!  I went to listen to my turntable today which I have running through a Schiit Mani preamp and then into my peachtree Decco out to my WA6.  Before I qued my record I put my headphones on and could hear music in the background.  It was some christian station NOT the Stone temple pilots I had on the TT.  So I turned the turntable off and could still hear it.  I unlugged my headphones from my WA6 and plugged it into my Peachtree and it was DEAD silent.  Plugged them back into the WA6 and there was the christian station again.  I turned of the peachtree and there was nothing but silence.  HOW is this possible!!!  When I turn off the MANI it goes away also.  Could the Mani be picking something up.

UPDATE

I took the mani out and put in my $30 ART DJ pre II and it was DEAD silent.  Could the MANI be defective

Feb 21, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #2,453 of 4,844

Congrats on your new tube! Hope it burns-in well for you. Sure read a lot of nice reports on that bad boy.  Enjoy!

I am curious. Did you receive any communication from the vendor prior to your package arriving?  My accounts were debited from the 11 February, but I as yet to have the courtesy of any type of order acknowledgement..  I did follow up and they have not the decency to respond. Since I am aware of my infinitesimal tolerance threshold for rudeness, arrogance and poor business practices, I thought it would be prudent to learn if you had a similar experience of no communication prior to delivery... I am aware that sometimes these small mom and pop operations do not follow established business norms.  It could be I am expecting too much from them and thus do not want to precipitously reverse the payment claiming fraud. I look forward to your response.

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #2,454 of 4,844
Congrats on your new tube! Hope it burns-in well for you. Sure read a lot of nice reports on that bad boy.  Enjoy!

I am curious. Did you receive any communication from the vendor prior to your package arriving?  My accounts were debited from the 11 February, but I as yet to have the courtesy of any type of order acknowledgement..  I did follow up and they have not the decency to respond. Since I am aware of my infinitesimal tolerance threshold for rudeness, arrogance and poor business practices, I thought it would be prudent to learn if you had a similar experience of no communication prior to delivery... I am aware that sometimes these small mom and pop operations do not follow established business norms.  It could be I am expecting too much from them and thus do not want to precipitously reverse the payment claiming fraud. I look forward to your response.

I will jump in as I have completed two orders with the vendor this month. I also placed orders last year. In setting up my orders I got very fast responses to my queries. After being invoiced I decided to up the quantities and each time the invoice was adjusted in minutes. When the invoices were paid I received a thank you and indication when the tubes would ship. I paid the standard shipping and the tubes arrived in one week or two weeks when customs opened the package. No tracking but you can pay extra if you want that. On one transaction I did receive a defective tube. It was one of a pair. A simple email and with zero hassle a replacement pair was sent to me. Of the many vendors I have tried this vendor is one of only two that fully met my expectations in terms of product shipped and responsiveness. Hang tight as your tubes are probably about to arrive. The Brimar is a tremendous performer for the price.

Feb 21, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #2,455 of 4,844
I will jump in as I have completed two orders with the vendor this month. I also placed orders last year. In setting up my orders I got very fast responses to my queries. After being invoiced I decided to up the quantities and each time the invoice was adjusted in minutes. When the invoices were paid I received a thank you and indication when the tubes would ship. I paid the standard shipping and the tubes arrived in one week or two weeks when customs opened the package. No tracking but you can pay extra if you want that. On one transaction I did receive a defective tube. It was one of a pair. A simple email and with zero hassle a replacement pair was sent to me. Of the many vendors I have tried this vendor is one of only two that fully met my expectations in terms of product shipped and responsiveness. Hang tight as your tubes are probably about to arrive. The Brimar is a tremendous performer for the price.

Thank you for jumping in with your experiences and reassurances.  There are always aberrations in systems. The probability of two, back to back, is pushing my buttons.  Will hang tight per your suggestion and shared experiences. Again, thank you.  Cheers...

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #2,456 of 4,844
Hey there - have had my WA6SE for close to 3 weeks now, probably close to the 100hr mark.  I have the Sofia Princess rectifier and the 6GL7 power tubes that I ordered initially.  Based on the feedback of this forum, I've ordered the 6FD7 and the Brimar rectifier tube... but that said... listening to the stock tubes up against my upgraded ones, I have a hard time finding fault with the 6GL7/Sofia?  I think the combo has a very large soundstage, the separation is great, the bass is punchy and after some breaking in, the 6GL7's have lost the initial edge I could complain about, and just seem uber airy to me now.  Am I missing something?  People have called them muddy -- but I disagree entirely.  

Maybe it's just my different headphones or DAC?

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #2,457 of 4,844
  Hey there - have had my WA6SE for close to 3 weeks now, probably close to the 100hr mark.  I have the Sofia Princess rectifier and the 6GL7 power tubes that I ordered initially.  Based on the feedback of this forum, I've ordered the 6FD7 and the Brimar rectifier tube... but that said... listening to the stock tubes up against my upgraded ones, I have a hard time finding fault with the 6GL7/Sofia?  I think the combo has a very large soundstage, the separation is great, the bass is punchy and after some breaking in, the 6GL7's have lost the initial edge I could complain about, and just seem uber airy to me now.  Am I missing something?  People have called them muddy -- but I disagree entirely.  

To each his own, but I tried the 6GL7 and did find it to be muddy with my RS1i and it just wasn't for me, so I returned it. I have several different tube combos I use in the WA6 including the SP which is nice for a change every once in a while. I prefer the UE-596/Brimar-5Z4G rectifier tubes and NOS NU-6F8G/NOS Sylvania 6SN7WGTA/NOS Westinghouse 6FD7 (big bottle) power/driver tubes which have a real nice gain to them. With the 6FD7 I can barley turn the volume past 9:30-10:00 O,clock. These are hard to find but Woo sells them at the bottom of the page under the WA6-SE product information on their site if your interested. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #2,458 of 4,844

Thanks for sharing your experiences.  I too am breaking in a new unit and agree with you that the stock tubes are producing a very nice and pleasant sound. The first couple of hours were tough, but it has gotten better and better each hour.  Like you, I did not understand all fuss on how bad the stock tubes seem to some. Maybe the latest batch of stock tubes are of a higher quality? At least, that is what was coming to mind.

Again, like you, I did order SP and some additional drivers at the time of WA6SE purchase. I have as yet to use them. Reading Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!  I went searching and had success discovering some of the tubes listed there with good reputations. Thanks DSG. In addition, Brimar 5Z4Gs are on the way because of high recommendations on this thread. I also took time to peruse the compatibility chart and have ordered others as well.

To cut to the chase:  Last night, at about 48 hours into Amp burn-in, I stuck in a MULLARD GZ32 CV593 NOS - the tube had been Cryo treated and was so strong on the get go that additional copies were ordered within a couple of hours.  Today, I elected to try a military tube. This is not a sexy coke bottle shape, in fact it is butt ugly. Just a black metal cylinder...however the sound this tube provides puts a smile on my face.  Had I not purchased a few, I would be ordering backups of this as well. Four hours in and it shows great promise. JAN-CKR-5Z4 VT-74 GE RCA NOS.

I have noticed very different sound signatures between these three rectifiers. Sadly, it is not fair for me to make ultimate judgements on tubes without letting them have at least a 50 to 100 hour burn in as confirmed by others and also Mike at Woo.  Like a good wine, it improves with age!  Now for a Woo plug: Mike also mentioned that they can offer 1m Norodst Blue Heaven RCA for $365 and 1.5m Nordost Blue Heaven power cable for $262.

So to sum up, I agree, the stock tubes are not bad, The issue is that other valves, or valve combinations have particular sound signatures and characteristics that many listeners desire and the nice sounding stock tubes do not deliver, or not to an adequate degree.

This new JAN 5Z4, only a few hours into break in, has a HOT signature!  Or is bright and it is really kicking ass big time on acoustic guitar. I am really liking this tube and listening to a live acoustic recording of Neil Young that always was nice but never rang my chimes, well this tube is making those chimes ring!

Well those are my experiences at this part of the journey. And as you have discovered, YMMV.  But that is half the fun.

Happy listening...

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #2,459 of 4,844
Well those are my experiences at this part of the journey. And as you have discovered, YMMV.  But that is half the fun.

Happy listening...

Thanks for the long feedback mr bug! Indeed rolling can be fun as well as frustrating at times. I do have to get de net cables now, but Nordost seems insanely expensive for me at least.

The Westinghouse 6FD7's came today, and I may have to eat my hat on this, They may ultimately be better than the 6GL7's for me. Have 20 minutes of burn in, but can see the differences immediately. Very lively. The 6GL7's sound more 3D and I like the separation... But willl see how it goes. Will be hard to do side by side comparisons since the 6FD7's are quite hot.

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #2,460 of 4,844
The Westinghouse 6FD7's came today, and I may have to eat my hat on this, They may ultimately be better than the 6GL7's for me. Have 20 minutes of burn in, but can see the differences immediately. Very lively. The 6GL7's sound more 3D and I like the separation... But willl see how it goes. Will be hard to do side by side comparisons since the 6FD7's are quite hot.

Your welcome for the suggestion.

To each his own, but I tried the 6GL7 and did find it to be muddy with my RS1i and it just wasn't for me, so I returned it. I have several different tube combos I use in the WA6 including the SP which is nice for a change every once in a while. I prefer the UE-596/Brimar-5Z4G rectifier tubes and NOS NU-6F8G/NOS Sylvania 6SN7WGTA/NOS Westinghouse 6FD7 (big bottle) power/driver tubes which have a real nice gain to them. With the 6FD7 I can barley turn the volume past 9:30-10:00 O,clock. These are hard to find but Woo sells them at the bottom of the page under the WA6-SE product information on their site if your interested. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back