Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Dec 16, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #1,786 of 4,839
It's just fine. I wish I had that choice. Just got one pair of RCA's.

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #1,787 of 4,839
Hi, everyone. I'm new here, just bought a wa6se two days ago. May I ask a question?

For the driver/power tubes on wa6se, can I use same model number but different brand?

For example, I have two 6FD7 tubes, one is GE and another one is Sylvania. Can I use both of them on my wa6se?

If I could, is that good or bad?

Thanks in advance. (*^ω^*)

so you have two 6fd7, of which one is GE and the other Sylvania?

well it's gonna work but i'm pretty sure they are badly unmatched compared to a matched pair when ordered from woo

i've two matched pairs of 6ew7, one pair is westinghouse the other sylvania and the sound is quite different, even the gain is noticeably different

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #1,788 of 4,839
Personnally ive never match tubes except for brand and type and im just richer for it because i never heard a difference anyway .But thats me .

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #1,789 of 4,839
  Personnally ive never match tubes except for brand and type and im just richer for it because i never heard a difference anyway .But thats me .

I'm with you. I have several sets of 6DE7, 6EW7, and 6FD7's by different makes for my WA6. I only match the brand and vintage. I personally have't heard any mismatch between right and left balance or sound quality. But then again, my ears aren't as sensitive as a young person's. I guess it's a good thing :)

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #1,790 of 4,839
I'm with you. I have several sets of 6DE7, 6EW7, and 6FD7's by different makes for my WA6. I only match the brand and vintage. I personally have't heard any mismatch between right and left balance or sound quality. But then again, my ears aren't as sensitive as a young person's. I guess it's a good thing :)

Never hurts to have them as identical as possible, but I've also been just fine with the same brand/vintage left/right in my WA6.

I think it's more critical in my speaker amps, with multiple output tubes in each channel, to have all the tubes in each channel as a matched set.

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #1,791 of 4,839
Never hurts to have them as identical as possible, but I've also been just fine with the same brand/vintage left/right in my WA6.

I think it's more critical in my speaker amps, with multiple output tubes in each channel, to have all the tubes in each channel as a matched set.

I agree with you logic on that front. I only buy matched sets for my PrimaLuna Prologue 2 integrated amp even though they claim you can use unmatched. Whether or not I can hear a difference is another story..

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #1,792 of 4,839
Help. I just bought some bad boy 6SN7's based on the bad boy reputation. However, they sound terrible in my WA6SE. I have the 6DE7 adapters in use. Did I do this wrong? How can I utilize the bad boys in this amp?

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #1,793 of 4,839
You can't use the 6SN7's in the 6-SE…unless you have Glenns *special adapters*.
This was the reason I sold my 6-SE and re-purchased the WA6.
Do you have the Glenn adapters???
BTW, I also have the "Bad Boys" in my WA6 and they are fine.

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #1,795 of 4,839
How do I get these glen special adapters? I want to keep my bad boys and SE

You don't…unfortunately.
Glenn no longer makes them, and Jack doesn't make them either, and Jack also says even with the *special adapters* (which I believe have resistors in them to work with the 6-SE) not to use them anyway. Like I said, I owned a WA6 and loved the 6SN7 tubes, so I up-graded to the 6-SE and after receiving the 6-SE realized I couldn't use the 6SN7's and I was (disgusted) and past the re-turn policy date, so I sold the 6-SE and re-purchased the WA6 so I could use the 6SN7 tubes…they are my favorite tubes, and my WA6 sound amazing with them too me.
Whatever you do, do not use them in the 6-SE!
Sorry to inform you of this.

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #1,796 of 4,839
About the 6SN7, does anyone know offhand how much Glenn charges for his adapters? I have a WA6, would love to start trying new tubes. I think I have stock driver tubes, and one of the middling rectifiers, and with a few of the supposedly-amazing Brimar 5Z4GY's on the way, now is the time I guess to get into the 6SN7. Woo is selling them for 90 a pair, and that just seems steep, though I'm sure they're well made. Money is unfortunately a pretty big factor to me, being a student, not like some of you with your WA234s :)

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #1,797 of 4,839
  About the 6SN7, does anyone know offhand how much Glenn charges for his adapters? I have a WA6, would love to start trying new tubes. I think I have stock driver tubes, and one of the middling rectifiers, and with a few of the supposedly-amazing Brimar 5Z4GY's on the way, now is the time I guess to get into the 6SN7. Woo is selling them for 90 a pair, and that just seems steep, though I'm sure they're well made. Money is unfortunately a pretty big factor to me, being a student, not like some of you with your WA234s :)

Glenn no longer makes them, he is much too busy making amplifiers.
Buy the 6SN7>6DE7 adapters from Woo, they are very well made. I paid $40.00 (each) so the price seems to have gone up $5.00 (each) but is definitely worth it.

Dec 25, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #1,800 of 4,839
Glenn no longer makes them, he is much too busy making amplifiers.
Buy the 6SN7>6DE7 adapters from Woo, they are very well made. I paid $40.00 (each) so the price seems to have gone up $5.00 (each) but is definitely worth it.
I use the Woo adapters on my WA6 for the 6SN7's and they're great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back