Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Apr 12, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #1,366 of 4,839
Not a huge fan of black base gz34 , they seem too aggressive and hard at times. Also not liquid like the metal base version.

I would definitely agree with what you say about the black base GZ34 (although I've never heard a metal base), but I do like the forwardness/aggressiveness of the tube. Besides if I want a liquid/fuller/bigger sound, I use the S/P 274B, so its nice too have the different tubes depending on the genre/headphone I'm listening too, or the mood I'm in. Plus those metal based tubes are going for $800.00+, and I paid $860.00 for the WA6, so I just can't see it…plus I'm more than satisfied with the the amp/tubes that I have, and need too listen to them, and stop buying tubes for a while, which I've already said before, but…you know how that goes.

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #1,367 of 4,839
  I would definitely agree with what you say about the black base GZ34 (although I've never heard a metal base), but I do like the forwardness/aggressiveness of the tube. Besides if I want a liquid/fuller/bigger sound, I use the S/P 274B, so its nice too have the different tubes depending on the genre/headphone I'm listening too, or the mood I'm in. Plus those metal based tubes are going for $800.00+, and I paid $860.00 for the WA6, so I just can't see it…plus I'm more than satisfied with the the amp/tubes that I have, and need too listen to them, and stop buying tubes for a while, which I've already said before, but…you know how that goes.

I got it for $260 in an ebay auction but after watching ebay like a hawk for nearly 30-40 days for it, stopped bidding on some auctions as the price got too high, managed to get one in the end
rolleyes.gif
. It does that magical trick of producing extended highs but just stopping short of sibilant on the HD 800. The S.P does not have its magic in the highs IMHO.

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #1,368 of 4,839

I got it for $260 in an ebay auction but after watching ebay like a hawk for nearly 30-40 days for it, stopped bidding on some auctions as the price got too high, managed to get one in the end
rolleyes.gif
. It does that magical trick of producing extended highs but just stopping short of sibilant on the HD 800. The S.P does not have its magic in the highs IMHO.

Thats a pretty good deal! When I was looking, at the time they were going for $6-800.00.
Is it NOS?
Also this is why I like the Phillips Miniwatt, because it has nicer/clearer highs than the S/P, but I do enjoy the S/P very much also, and its nice to have a choice.

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #1,372 of 4,839
Hi, I'm encountering a frustrating issue with my WA 6SE. After not running it for a week or so, I warmed it up tonite, plugged in and am missing channels. If I pull the headphone jack out just a bit and hold it there, it sounds ok. But any variance, or actually push the jack in flush, I lose the left channel. I tried a few different headphones, low/high impedance jacks, all the same issue. Headphone jack plugged into the receiver directly works fine so it definitely seems to be within the Woo. Any suggestions?!
My tubes aren't to used up I don't think - Sylvania 6EW7 fats and an EML 5U4G Meshplate rectifier
Are there components in there that could lead to this? Argh! Many thanks for any advice.

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #1,373 of 4,839
Sure sounds like it is the headphone output, especially if you can move it and make a connection. I had this trouble with a pre-amp I use to own, so I opened it up and bent the contacts (closer), and the problem went away. I guess over time they had less pressure on them from being old/plugged/unplugged. I would suggest sending the unit back to Woo. It doesn't sound like a problem with the tubes at all, but I don't think this is a major problem at all. Good luck, everything will work out fine.

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #1,374 of 4,839
Hi, I'm encountering a frustrating issue with my WA 6SE. After not running it for a week or so, I warmed it up tonite, plugged in and am missing channels. If I pull the headphone jack out just a bit and hold it there, it sounds ok. But any variance, or actually push the jack in flush, I lose the left channel. I tried a few different headphones, low/high impedance jacks, all the same issue. Headphone jack plugged into the receiver directly works fine so it definitely seems to be within the Woo. Any suggestions?!
My tubes aren't to used up I don't think - Sylvania 6EW7 fats and an EML 5U4G Meshplate rectifier
Are there components in there that could lead to this? Argh! Many thanks for any advice.

try a different set of RCA cables on the amp.  A friend of mine had the same issue with his WA7 and sent it back to the mothership to find out it was his RCA cables.

Apr 13, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #1,375 of 4,839
  $260 sounds about right for the metal GZ34.  $600-800? Might as well grab a WE422A,  But I can't see myself spending that much for a tube.  DG, good to see you're back, so quiet lately?

Where do you see the metal base going for $260.00?
Here are a few, way more than that!
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xmetal+base+gz34&_nkw=metal+base+gz34&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #1,376 of 4,839

Sounds like bad connection, but surprised that it's on both hi/lo Z jacks.  The tip of the headphone jack is left positive, so if you want to open the amp to check solder points.  

For safety before you open the amp, leave the amp plugged in while power's off so that all capacitors can be discharged.  I usually leave it for ~30 min for the caps to discharge.      

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #1,377 of 4,839
I've got a question about the impedance switch on my WA6. My headphones are 40 ohm impedance. If I switch the amp toggle to high impedance 100-600 ohms, will performance be better? Will I damage the headphones?

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #1,378 of 4,839
I've got a question about the impedance switch on my WA6. My headphones are 40 ohm impedance. If I switch the amp toggle to high impedance 100-600 ohms, will performance be better? Will I damage the headphones?

I own the WA6/Grado's 32-Ohms, I've never switched the impedance to high, but you should have no issues if you do.
From what I understand from reading a little bit about impedance matching, you should match the impedance of the headphone.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #1,379 of 4,839
I think the high impedance switch will make your low impedance (40 ohm) louder so don't have the volume cranked up on a selection while throwing the switch.  You will have to decide if it sounds better or not.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #1,380 of 4,839
I own the WA6/Grado's 32-Ohms, I've never switched the impedance to high, but you should have no issues if you do.
From what I understand from reading a little bit about impedance matching, you should match the impedance of the headphone.

Ok thanks. I'll give it a try and see what happens. My headphones are the LCD3's. Right now I have stock tubes but I have ordered a Mullard GZ34, old stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back