Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Apr 7, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #1,336 of 4,845

Actually, mine says it was last updated 4/1014 at the bottom of the page on the left hand side;
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Ama6VqAKDF7adFlpSFh2ZDVMdnBfS2VpSUxfcEVpTnc&hl=en&output=html

Maybe I should compare lists.  Perhaps it's so rare now that it's not worth listing.  I bought mine from him over a year ago.

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #1,337 of 4,845

Maybe I should compare lists.  Perhaps it's so rare now that it's not worth listing.  I bought mine from him over a year ago.

I was thinking the same thing when I didn't see the 596…that it wasn't available anymore.
I would like to see the chart that you have also, can you post the link for me please? Thanks.

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #1,338 of 4,845

I was thinking the same thing when I didn't see the 596…that it wasn't available anymore.
I would like to see the chart that you have also, can you post the link for me please? Thanks.

Don't have a link.  It would be on the Woo site but he prolly took down the old list.

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #1,339 of 4,845
596 is good to go on the WA6/SE, just need an adapter from Jack or 2359glenn.  I have one used on WA6SE with glenn's adapter.

596 is so rare, may be that's why it's not on the list? 

Another crazy expensive rectifier tube is the WE422A (ask DubstepGirl, she knows all about the rectifiers) that is not on the list. 

Cheers...

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #1,340 of 4,845
bbophead, The only Woo amp that I see on the chart that I have which comes close to a 596 is for the WES "phase splitter", which is a 5963…otherwise I don't even see any other amps that state they take a 596.

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #1,341 of 4,845
  596 is good to go on the WA6/SE, just need an adapter from Jack or 2359glenn.  I have one used on WA6SE with glenn's adapter.

596 is so rare, may be that's why it's not on the list? 

Another crazy expensive rectifier tube is the WE422A (ask DubstepGirl, she knows all about the rectifiers) that is not on the list. 

Cheers...

Thanks for the info.
How much does a 596 + adapter go for anyway?
Also what type of sound signature does it carry, or what other tube is it close too in character? Thanks.

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #1,344 of 4,845
  IMHO - it's about 80% rectifier, 20% driver in terms of noticeable change in the sound.

You see, what I've got too stop doing is changing both rectifier/driver-power tubes at the same time, and just change one or the other and listen for a while. I had the S/P274B and the Sylvania 6SN7WGTA's in, but last night I switched to the Mullard-GZ34 and the GE-6FD7's. Tonight I'm going to put the 6SN7's back in with the GZ34 and hear how much of a difference there is between the driver-power tubes.
Are there any facts that you/anyone know of about this? Thanks.

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #1,345 of 4,845
  You see, what I've got too stop doing is changing both rectifier/driver-power tubes at the same time, and just change one or the other and listen for a while. I had the S/P274B and the Sylvania 6SN7WGTA's in, but last night I switched to the Mullard-GZ34 and the GE-6FD7's. Tonight I'm going to put the 6SN7's back in with the GZ34 and hear how much of a difference there is between the driver-power tubes.
Are there any facts that you/anyone know of about this? Thanks.

I review audio equipment semi-professionally and have been doing so for about 6 years. I try to test extensively and A/B as best I can. All my impressions are based on SPL calibrated listening levels (as levels change with diff. driver tubes) and a 20 minute warm-up, on a reference set of FLACs I use in reviews.

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #1,346 of 4,845
Thanks, now that I know that you do this semi-pro, your opinion makes a difference (not that it didn't before). I also experienced the different volume levels with different tubes immediately, and also let the amp/tubes warm up 20-30 minutes before listening…keep in mind I'm a casual listener, but sometimes can get critical. You've got me thinking that I should start with changing the rectifier tube for comparisons first and keeping the same driver-power tubes in exclusively for a while, I mainly use the S/P and the 6SN7's…so I think I will just put the 6SN7's back in tonight being I'm very familiar with them, this away I can base the difference on the rectifier tube, thanks.

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #1,347 of 4,845
Has anyone tried the Mullard GZ34/5AR4 'new production' rectifier?

The Mullard GZ34 is an ultra efficient indirectly heated dual diode, full-wave vacuum rectifier. Providing a mere 10V drop in B+ (plate voltage) at full current demand, this rectifier insures a strong, dynamic response to your sound. An excellent and reliable choice, the Mullard GZ34 comes with a classic "coin" shaped octal base, dual getters for a more pure vacuum, dual mica spacers and full 30mm length internal plate structures. This tube is an excellent replacement of any GZ34 and 5AR4 rectifier tube.

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #1,349 of 4,845
Different rectifiers will give give different voltage drops (GZ34 least drop and others the drop increases). This in turn will operate the other tubes(pre / power) at different voltages and therefore different positions on their operating curves. Add to this the fact that everyones mains voltages are also different shows quite how many variables there are. My 250v is very different from others 220v but both are legal here. There are lots's of variables here on how we drive the pre / power tubes long before we even look at makes / types which themselves will also interact with the voltages being given by the rectifiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back