Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Apr 6, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #1,322 of 4,839
I am a very green tube amp user as you will see by my question.... I notice my WA6 has 9 pin holes for the power tubes. I also see that some highly recommended tubes have less than 9 pins. Do I need an adaptor to use these tubes in the amp?

Apr 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #1,323 of 4,839
  Thanks for your replies. I will give it some more time then. How many hours would you give them?

I would guess I used mine for about 15-20hrs and they sounded fine…but then again they sounded fine to begin with so maybe even less.

I am a very green tube amp user as you will see by my question.... I notice my WA6 has 9 pin holes for the power tubes. I also see that some highly recommended tubes have less than 9 pins. Do I need an adaptor to use these tubes in the amp?

Woo sells the tube adapters ($40.00U.S. each + shipping)…but you will not see them on the website sold separate (without tubes), you have to e-mail them to buy the adapters separate (without the tubes) if you are planning to purchase the tubes elsewhere. Here is the tube compatibility chart for the Woo amps;
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Ama6VqAKDF7adFlpSFh2ZDVMdnBfS2VpSUxfcEVpTnc&hl=en&output=html
I have the 6SN7>6DE7 adapters in my photos.

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #1,324 of 4,839
I went back to the chart, and I may be reading it wrong… there is no line separating the the WA6/WA6LE from the WA5/WA5LE…but the chart does show across from the WA6/LE "driver/power" with a (white) background…and across from the WA5/LE shows "300B power tube" with a (gray) background…but like I said they are not separating the amps themselves?

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #1,325 of 4,839
  I went back to the chart, and I may be reading it wrong… there is no line separating the the WA6/WA6LE from the WA5/WA5LE…but the chart does show across from the WA6/LE "driver/power" with a (white) background…and across from the WA5/LE shows "300B power tube" with a (gray) background…but like I said they are not separating the amps themselves?

There should be a line, a typo I assumed.  The WA5 has a driver tube section above (shared with WA22).

But some WA6 (not SE) tubes are used in WA5: 6SN7, 5692.

For any tube that is not on the list (less than 9 pins or even same 9 pins), ask Jack for adapters.  Even the tube has 9 pins, the pins arrangements may be different, you may fry the tube and/or your amp.  Consult with Jack for any tube that is not on the list...

Have fun! 

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #1,326 of 4,839

There should be a line, a typo I assumed.  The WA5 has a driver tube section above (shared with WA22).

But some WA6 (not SE) tubes are used in WA5: 6SN7, 5692.

For any tube that is not on the list (less than 9 pins or even same 9 pins), ask Jack for adapters.  Even the tube has 9 pins, the pins arrangements may be different, you may fry the tube and/or your amp.  Consult with Jack for any tube that is not on the list...

Have fun! 

Thank you for the info…I wasn't the one asking about this, I was replying to someone else's post. I'm very careful with my amp, I have several different rectifier/driver tubes, which I made certain were compatible with the WA6 prior to purchasing. I'm glad you also thought there should be a line between the two amp…it can lead one to believe the tubes are all compatible. Thanks.

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #1,327 of 4,839
I would guess I used mine for about 15-20hrs and they sounded fine…but then again they sounded fine to begin with so maybe even less.

Woo sells the tube adapters ($40.00U.S. each + shipping)…but you will not see them on the website sold separate (without tubes), you have to e-mail them to buy the adapters separate (without the tubes) if you are planning to purchase the tubes elsewhere. Here is the tube compatibility chart for the Woo amps;
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Ama6VqAKDF7adFlpSFh2ZDVMdnBfS2VpSUxfcEVpTnc&hl=en&output=html
I have the 6SN7>6DE7 adapters in my photos.

Thanks very much for the information. It helps a lot. The tubes I'm interested in are the Mullard GZ34. These seem to come highly recommended. I will definitely browse that chart and get acquainted with some of the tube numbers.

Apr 7, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #1,328 of 4,839
Thanks very much for the information. It helps a lot. The tubes I'm interested in are the Mullard GZ34. These seem to come highly recommended. I will definitely browse that chart and get acquainted with some of the tube numbers.

There is no need for an adapter for the GZ34 which is a rectifier tube…the only rectifier tubes which need adapters for the WA6 are the 274A-5Z3 and the 83.

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #1,330 of 4,839

There is no need for an adapter for the GZ34 which is a rectifier tube…the only rectifier tubes which need adapters for the WA6 are the 274A-5Z3 and the 83.

and the 596.

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #1,332 of 4,839
Apr 7, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #1,334 of 4,839

Users who are viewing this thread

Back