Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jan 11, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #1,068 of 4,845
  Well - my first replacement of tubes will be a pair of NOS RCA 6GL7's and a NOS Mullard GZ32. Here's hoping it sounds good with my T90.

the GZ32 is a very nice tube. don't know how they will pair with the 6GL7 though. i'm actually surprised the gz32 is still so readily available and cheap, it sounds almost as good as the U52, maybe a little less airy, but the tonality and transparency is really good.

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #1,070 of 4,845
I would choose 6FD7 or 6GL7, i did not try the GZ32 with WA6-SE unfortunately.

I would still overall choose the 6FD7 though. the 6GL7 is a unique tube that is one of the better sounding for the WA6-SE, but its best paired with the 596 since it adds bass and smoothens the sound a bit. it can be a little muddy and dark at times though cause its a colored sounding tube, i do not know how it will pair with GZ32. 

the 6FD7 is the most neutral and has the most balance out of all the WA6-SE tubes, I would consider that one the best. with the 6GL7 being possibly better depending on the setup.

other than that, the only other tube i would consider is the 6EW7, smooth huge soundstage and good clarity, warm forgiving tube, but does have rather light bass at times. this one is my next favorite.

i do not care much for 6DE7 (warm but lacking control and depth) or 6DR7 (shouty and too warm with weak bass)

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #1,072 of 4,845
nop just sylvania fat bottle my experience with the wa6-se drivers shows that RCA tubes sound a little different but the rest seem to all sound the same.

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #1,073 of 4,845
Just got these from my friend who, a long time ago, moved to something much-much-much better (a better amp).

Now I'm using the Princess with RCA 6EW7. My friend said these Raytheon sound a lot better. Will swap them in to see if I like them better than my current setup. BTW, the phones is LCD-X with Silver Dragon cable.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #1,074 of 4,845
he gave u a free metal gz34? 
blink.gif

btw the raytheon 6ew7 sounded similar to sylvania but i think the raytheon was slightly better. i used them alot when i had sophia for rectifier and it worked very well for pretty much every headphone except audeze (6FD7 for these!)

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #1,075 of 4,845
  he gave u a free metal gz34? 
blink.gif

btw the raytheon 6ew7 sounded similar to sylvania but i think the raytheon was slightly better. i used them alot when i had sophia for rectifier and it worked very well for pretty much every headphone except audeze (6FD7 for these!)

LOL it's not for free, but he gave it to me so I can try first. If I happen to like it, he would then sell it to me for about 200$.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #1,077 of 4,845
  I'm finally able to post a photo. Meet my WA6SE! Nothing fancy, just stock tubes for now. I thought I'd post one to keep thread burning. Will try post more soon.

Happy viewing! 
wink.gif

Beauty.  Congratulations!

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #1,078 of 4,845
Hi guys,

Quick question, can both headphone jacks be used simultaneously?  Any degradation in performance?
I plan to hook up LCD2 and DT880.

Thanks.

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #1,079 of 4,845
Hello,

Trying to get a metal base GZ34 from eBay and I came across a Valvo brand NOS GZ34 tube that was manufactured in Holland with a date code of rS1 55D.  Isn't this basically the same tube as the Mullard?  There seems to be a substantial difference in price between the Valvo and the Mullard/Philips NOS tubes, and would like to understand why that would be the case...

Many thanks in advance for your guidance.

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #1,080 of 4,845
  Hi guys,

Quick question, can both headphone jacks be used simultaneously?  Any degradation in performance?
I plan to hook up LCD2 and DT880.

Thanks.

The output jacks were designed for a high and low input and will work as you described but you may notice some degradation in performance. The amp was designed to be used with a single headphone ahs each input has different gain. So the short answer is yes they will work together and more than likely the performance will drop form a single headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back