Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jan 21, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #1,097 of 4,873
Thanks to DG for selling me her custom made Glenn 6SN7 to 6DE7 adapter. Finally got hold of myself of a nice pair of RCA grey glass 6SN7 for $55 on eBay (pretty decent I must say)

First impression I've got from listening to my LCD3 was the soundstage improvement over the 6FD7 and 6GL7 (this infact sounded more closed than 6FD7) and smooth from any grain in the higher frequency. Will have to give this a try on the HD800 to see the results.

Will have to listen to this combination longer and so far it's great!

Jan 21, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #1,098 of 4,873
do 6SN7 work well in 6se?, I have never tried them as manual says for WA6 only. Does this need updating and do I need to make an adapter?
wink_face.gif

Jan 21, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #1,099 of 4,873
its not the same adapter as the one the WA6 uses. this one also has some internal components (a resistor and a capacitor i believe). its a custom made by 2359glenn. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #1,100 of 4,873
damn you guys-  this thread makes me miss my wa6 with SP274B mesh and 6fd7 + hd600 so bad that I am considering buying one again after so many years as my second rig - now even being compatible with best tube ever made when it calls for harmonics & tube magic - 6SN7 (wa6se didn't support this tube at the time, still 6EM7 was the best tube in my opinion when I was tube rolling across 6de7, 6ew7, 6fd7 - my revision did support this tube)

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #1,101 of 4,873
  damn you guys-  this thread makes me miss my wa6 with SP274B mesh and 6fd7 + hd600 so bad that I am considering buying one again after so many years as my second rig - now even being compatible with best tube ever made when it calls for harmonics & tube magic - 6SN7 (wa6se didn't support this tube at the time, still 6EM7 was the best tube in my opinion when I was tube rolling across 6de7, 6ew7, 6fd7 - my revision did support this tubeI saw you email.

The  WA6 SE is not compatible with the 6SN7 and is not recommended for use in that amplifier. The WA6 can use the 6SN7 with an adapter.

Please use the recommended tubes or tube combinations on out tube compatibility page available on the Woo website.

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #1,102 of 4,873
  Thanks to DG for selling me her custom made Glenn 6SN7 to 6DE7 adapter. Finally got hold of myself of a nice pair of RCA grey glass 6SN7 for $55 on eBay (pretty decent I must say)

First impression I've got from listening to my LCD3 was the soundstage improvement over the 6FD7 and 6GL7 (this infact sounded more closed than 6FD7) and smooth from any grain in the higher frequency. Will have to give this a try on the HD800 to see the results.

Will have to listen to this combination longer and so far it's great!

6SN7​
Yes​
For WA6 only. A 8-pin to 9-pin adapter is needed.
On our website on the tube compatibility page it says 6sn7 for the WA6 only. I spoke with Jack and he said you cannot use the 6SN7 in the 6SE and eventually it will cause an issue with the 6SE and using incompatible tubes will void the warranty.

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #1,103 of 4,873
  do 6SN7 work well in 6se?, I have never tried them as manual says for WA6 only. Does this need updating and do I need to make an adapter?
wink_face.gif

Do not use the 6Sn7 in the WA6 SE it is not compatible and will void the warranty if there is any issue with the amplifier. Jack said no way should those tubes be used,

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #1,104 of 4,873
Silent One used the same adapter and never had an issue. its not the same adapter as the woo audio one that simply changes the pin layout, that one is for WA6. theres other components inside of it to make it compatible with WA6-SE, and to not burn out the tubes (from what i've heard, using the 8 to 9 pin would shorten the tubes lifespan, thats why glenn made the custom adapter).

only downside is theres slightly less gain.

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #1,105 of 4,873
Jack said specifically eventually there will be an issue with the tube because the 6SE was not designed nor should it use those tubes. If there is an issue with  the amplifier the warranty will be voided. The amplifier was not designed for that tube. Unlike the WA6 which has much lower gain than the 6SE.  I spoke in detail about this with Jack. If people decide to use it just remember the warranty is voided.

Woo will repair the amps but will charge for the repair and shipping for international customers can be expensive. Please use the tubes that are recommended on the the website.  That is the correct information I just posted so if the owners of a WA6SE wants to use the tube it's up to them and use it at their own risk.  Woo does not recommend using 6SN7 on the WA6SE

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #1,106 of 4,873
I know it's not compatible, I never wrote it was - the only tube is somehow similar in wa6se is 6em7 (I had original tube sockets when I was in possession of my maxxxed 6se) and this is indeed the best combination in this amp IMHO, still don't like 6se comparing to normal 6 version

what email ? I guess you answered to wrong person :D

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #1,107 of 4,873
  I know it's not compatible, I never wrote it was - the only tube is somehow similar in wa6se is 6em7 (I had original tube sockets when I was in possession of my maxxxed 6se) and this is indeed the best combination in this amp IMHO, still don't like 6se comparing to normal 6 version

what email ? I guess you answered to wrong person :D

Sorry if you though it was directed at you but I was answering DG 

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #1,108 of 4,873
Hey guys, i just got a LCD-2 to pair with my WA-6 and Rega DAC. Pretty happy with the combo so far but, i am finding it a tiny bit to warm with quiet a few recordings, some sound perfect (to my ears) i guess its the way they are mastered? I'm running the stock driver tubes and an old, but not nos Philips black base 5AR4 rectifier. Is there any driver tubes out there that might make the amp a little colder sounding? or less lush might be the word I'm looking for. I'm thinking of saving up for the WA-6SE because i read earlier in the thread that Jack Wu says the WA-6SE is colder and less lush than the WA-6. Any advice would be awesome! :)

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #1,109 of 4,873
  Hey guys, i just got a LCD-2 to pair with my WA-6 and Rega DAC. Pretty happy with the combo so far but, i am finding it a tiny bit to warm with quiet a few recordings, some sound perfect (to my ears) i guess its the way they are mastered? I'm running the stock driver tubes and an old, but not nos Philips black base 5AR4 rectifier. Is there any driver tubes out there that might make the amp a little colder sounding? or less lush might be the word I'm looking for. I'm thinking of saving up for the WA-6SE because i read earlier in the thread that Jack Wu says the WA-6SE is colder and less lush than the WA-6. Any advice would be awesome! :)

The WA6-SE are colder and less lush than the WA6, but they aren't a colder and less lush WA6. 

If you just want the latter, may I suggest the 6SN7? It offers a more neutral sound that definitely complements the WA6. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #1,110 of 4,873

The WA6-SE are colder and less lush than the WA6, but they aren't a colder and less lush WA6. 

If you just want the latter, may I suggest the 6SN7? It offers a more neutral sound that definitely complements the WA6. 

Cheers for the reply :) By that do you mean they have a different overall signature to each other? Any recommendations on brands/nos or new with the 6SN7 tubes? If i can get a better synergy with my WA-6 and LCD-2 by tube rolling for the time being that would be awesome! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back