Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jan 23, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #1,111 of 4,873
Cheers for the reply :) By that do you mean they have a different overall signature to each other? Any recommendations on brands/nos or new with the 6SN7 tubes? If i can get a better synergy with my WA-6 and LCD-2 by tube rolling for the time being that would be awesome! :)

No worries. Yes, that is what I mean. The whole WA6 name thing is misleading.

6SN7s are cheap, common and plentiful with lots of threads already written about the various options. Currently I am using a pair of NOS brown bottomed Sylvanias and they are the best I have heard so far. I encourage you to do your own research and splurge a little (6SN7s aren't ridiculously overpriced yet). Tube-rolling is half the fun of purchasing a tube amp.

One note, the 6SN7s will need an adapter from Woo and also won't work with the WA6-SE if you do plan on getting the SE in future.

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #1,112 of 4,873
 Thanks again. Yep I'll be doing my research that's for sure 
wink_face.gif
it took me about 4 months to decide what $1000+ headphone i wanted lol.

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #1,113 of 4,873

The open-back 1350 now pairs well with the WA6-SE.  I know it is an overkill to amp such an easy-to-drive Beyerdynamic.  But the result is actually quite addictive.

Mainly though, the Woo is paired with the HD800.

Jan 26, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #1,114 of 4,873
I currently pair my LCD-2 with a WA6-SE, EML 274B and EML 5U4G mesh with 6FD7 fat bottle, people whine about that LCD-2 is not a good match for the WA6-SE, but in my opinion it's awesome! I have it with a NAD D 1050 DAC, which is pretty warm compared to other "neutral" DACs. I find it fits perfectly with the LCD-2s and WA6-SE. It's a "fun" DAC and it's great so far.
At the same time it's sexy as hell! And it has balanced outputs so it will go perfectly with the ELAC AM 180 active speakers I am getting :D

http://www.elac.com/en/products/Active/AM_180/

I was out with a friend this weekend and listened to the KEF R300 paired with a NAD C390, jesus that setup was amazing!
http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C-390DD-Direct-Digital-Powered-DAC-Amplifier
http://www.kef.com/html/en/showroom/hi-fi_series/r_series/fact_sheet/bookshelf/r300/index.html

I am not sure yet but I think it has the same integrated DAC that I use for my LCD-2.

Oh and I have a pair of silver dragon 3 from my HE-500s which I bought before they costed a **** ton, I am going to change the connectors and put them on my LCD2-s. The stock LCD-2 cable is pretty bad in my opinion, it's very weak in construction.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #1,115 of 4,873
Jan 26, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #1,117 of 4,873
Jan 26, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #1,119 of 4,873

I thught so.  Must work on my photo skills, or, not.

LOL.... I shot the Woo in near total darkness.  No light in the room save for the glow emanating from the WA6-SE.

You may want to give it a try.

Thanks.  While I'm at it, I'll work on my spelling skills.

Jan 31, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #1,122 of 4,873
  in my case woo6SE was the greatest mistake I have made - comparing to wa6 almost no bass, lost all euphonic, saturation and ultra smooth, warm sound, bigger width but crappy depth, not engaging emotionally at all - sold it and never regret it

I had maxxxed version of both 6se and 6, was using them with hd600/650 when searching for ultimate solution for hd600 some time ago ...

I think I could go back to hd600+wa6 (even stock) combo and be really happy no matter the price, killer synergy though always a bit of humm/buzz which has to be sloppy design (wires leading, ground etc I guess), EVEN WA6SE got small amount of it (although I asked manufacturer to check this twice precisely), no matter the tubes I tried, in this price range this is just crazy especially when buying from abroad and paying hardcore extra money (shipping, VAT, customs etc)

from many years of my experience when you don't like something from the beginning you will spend some time convincing and fooling yourself it sounds good but inside you will be very unhappy and in the end you will sell it losing nice amount of your money for tube rolling etc

things that you liked from the beginning are most missed after selling (usually only because of searching something different)

I agree totally Magicman - I am in same position - bought the Wa6se maxxed and never completely fell for it - a wide soundstage but thats about it it --- not engaging at all to me personally,  and especially for the 2K+ i paid for it.    I tried selling it locally NYC for less than 1K (not willing to deal with shipping) and no luck.  So I put it away for a while.  I just pulled it back out today to see what I can do tube-wise to make it sound better  Im thinking I might even offer it for trade for a wa6.   I'm using 701s and Ultrasone Ed8's.   Any suggestions welcome ! 

Jan 31, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #1,123 of 4,873
  I agree totally Magicman - I am in same position - bought the Wa6se maxxed and never completely fell for it - a wide soundstage but thats about it it --- not engaging at all to me personally,  and especially for the 2K+ i paid for it.    I tried selling it locally NYC for less than 1K (not willing to deal with shipping) and no luck.  So I put it away for a while.  I just pulled it back out today to see what I can do tube-wise to make it sound better  Im thinking I might even offer it for trade for a wa6.   I'm using 701s and Ultrasone Ed8's.   Any suggestions welcome ! 

I like the Sophia 274B coupled to the RCA 6FD7's.  Have you tried these?

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #1,125 of 4,873
  i have Sophia with 6EW's   will try the FDs.   What about the Mullard GZ37 for the rectifier ?  I see them NOS for $99 at  the tubestore 

Don't know the GZ37.  I quit rolling after the Sophia and the 596.  Using an RCA 5R4GY at the moment, no great shakes.  I've heard the EML 274 is a winner but too rich for my blood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back