Woo Audio WA11 Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
May 20, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #736 of 774
Agreed the Empyreans work well with the WA11. I do wish they had a medium gain. I prefer low for most listening, the sound is more laid back, natural and nicely balanced. The attack and dynamics feel forced on high. YMMV and all a matter of personal preference.

I use mine with the HD800S

The Diablo, whilst capable in its own right - I prefer the organic sound of the WA11. Soundstage and seperation felt somewhat congested and muddy on the Diablo compared to what I’m used to when I very briefly auditioned it. i plugged in Trailii so wasn’t the IEM!

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #737 of 774
I was driving LCD-X's with my Woo and it was pretty good. But moving to Meze Empyrean really show off this amp IMO. Very silky and smooth with nice image and stage and when the music calls for it, punchy. About the only thing I think I'm missing is sub-bass. Does the WA11 roll-off bass below 50Hz? I haven't been able to located a frequency response graph. Using a LG V30+ as source device, playing FLAC. Balanced Pentaconn to the EMpyrean.
So glad I decided to keep my WA11.
Also tried the Diablo and Signature and to my ear the Woo is the more refined and enjoyable. Woo also has great PRAT coupled with the Empyrean.

just wondering If you prefer low or high gain with the WA11?

May 22, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #738 of 774
High gain

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #739 of 774
I've just come back to the WA11 Topaz having plonked on a couch with my laptop. Plugging in the included USB C 2.0 OTG -> WA11 into my MacBook Pro. 4.4mm stock cable into the HD800S. Low gain which I actually much prefer to the high gain, that I feel is too high for my headphones.

I very much still enjoy this pairing. There's a musical, organic warmth to the WA11 Class A Solid state amp. With acoustic music (Boyce Avenue, Cover sessions 6) there's a fullness to the sound. There is still adequate detail, layering and soundstage which are the HD800S strengths. I'm not noticing any significant audible distortion (ROON / QOBUZ). As this is not a MQA decoding DAC, ensure if you do hear distortion on low gain that you're not listening to a MQA and retest with a FLAC or other lossless file.

Do I enjoy this as much as my Cayin C9 ; Hugo 2/2Go or Naim Headphone Edition? Yes. I think I do.

I agree with the comparisons between the Hugo 2 and WA11
https://www.headfonia.com/woo-audio-wa11-review/5/

I do rotate my sources around depending on my mood.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #740 of 774
So just to bump an old issue (or feature, however you like to look at it). Took my WA11 to the local cafe along with my V-Moda M100 Master (single end terminated), and my WA11 wouldn’t power on. Digging through this thread, it’s claimed to be a safety mechanism - but note that I wasn’t switching from balanced to SE nor vice versa as I only brought one pair of headphones with me (and it was naturally off until I tried to power it on).

As I’m using this with my iPad Pro, a nifty little way to reset the power is just to move the lighting - USB-C interconnect from the DAC to Charge port. However it’s it’s a little strange that this safety mechanism is so easily triggered even I’m not switching between SE/Balanced.

Aug 27, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #741 of 774
Anyone here has some experience with the WA11 paired with the Audeze LCD-2 Classic?

I'm currently using them via my A&K SR25 line out and a Schiit Vali 2.

I'm looking for something which will give me a similar sound, yet is transportable.

Curious as to the tuning I'll get with this pairing. I like a dark/laid-back sound but not overly so.

As replied by Woo Audio, power shouldn't even remotely be an issue, my main interrogation is the sound coloration/tuning aspects of things.

Thanks in advance

N.Eve

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #742 of 774
I have the WA11 paired with w/ the LCD-2. Everyone's sound profile however might be a little different. I enjoy listening to more classical jazz which gives that dark sound but again everyone's sound profile is different on what they think.

Mar 2, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #743 of 774
looking at a demo wa 11, outercover is a little bit loose. can slide it from L to R. is that normal?

Attachments

• DSC01871.jpg
    DSC01871.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 24, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #747 of 774
Was always curious about this item....

May 7, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #748 of 774
I've been reading through this entire thread having just purchased a used WA11. The answer must be in here somewhere but I can't find it. Is the USB A to USB C cable that came with the WA11 an OTG cable? It looks like a cable that Woo makes themselves, no markings on it other than nomenclature on the wire itself. I assumed it was the charging cable only but I tried it as a connection between both my desktop to WA11 and laptop to WA11 (both USB A only) and it seems to work as on OTG. I just don't want to screw anything up. Also, I was looking on the Woo website for the custom cable set for the Sony WM1A where you use both headphone outs, one is the ground. I don't see it listed for sale but maybe I'm not recognizing the description? Thanks!

May 8, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #749 of 774
Any USB to USB-C cable should work just fine. The only issue is for USB-C to USB-C cable, which requires OTG.

Aug 3, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #750 of 774

Users who are viewing this thread

Back