Woo Audio WA11 Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 5, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #751 of 774
I've been reading through this entire thread having just purchased a used WA11. The answer must be in here somewhere but I can't find it. Is the USB A to USB C cable that came with the WA11 an OTG cable? It looks like a cable that Woo makes themselves, no markings on it other than nomenclature on the wire itself. I assumed it was the charging cable only but I tried it as a connection between both my desktop to WA11 and laptop to WA11 (both USB A only) and it seems to work as on OTG. I just don't want to screw anything up. Also, I was looking on the Woo website for the custom cable set for the Sony WM1A where you use both headphone outs, one is the ground. I don't see it listed for sale but maybe I'm not recognizing the description? Thanks!
You can get this kind of cable made by many cable companies. I use one for my AK SP1000: 2.5mm balanced out/3.5mm out to 4.4mm balanced (into a headphone amp); mine is made by PW Audio. Not sure if I hear any major differences compared to not using it but the theoretical advantages make sense.

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #752 of 774
You can get this kind of cable made by many cable companies. I use one for my AK SP1000: 2.5mm balanced out/3.5mm out to 4.4mm balanced (into a headphone amp); mine is made by PW Audio. Not sure if I hear any major differences compared to not using it but the theoretical advantages make sense.
The USB-C to USB-C is an OTG cable and I think you need to ensure that it is to work.

The USB-A - USB-C - that format is compatible so any cable usually works.

Not sure if I would overthink it. The amplifier on the WA11 is very nice with lots of power. The DAC is it's weak point. YMMV. It's a portable/transportable solution so not quite at the level I would split hairs trying to get the utmost out of the chain. YMMV.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #753 of 774
The amplifier on the WA11 is very nice with lots of power. The DAC is it's weak point. YMMV. It's a portable/transportable solution so not quite at the level I would split hairs trying to get the utmost out of the chain. YMMV.
Agreed. The WA11 works well when fed by a nice DAP. I also use a small tube Oriolus BA300s in between and it adds a nice tubey quality to the sound. I like it. I use it when traveling or at work.

Oct 9, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #754 of 774
Hello, Ì have the WA11 and had a bad experience with it.
I wanted to use it for a transportable use. I wanted to plug with an iphone with the lod I bought from Woo Audio (ligthning - USB-C). So the goal were to plug my Iphone XS Max on the DAC usb-c DAC in the WA11. But it doesn't work The XS Max doesn't want to recognize the Woo Audio as a DAC.
So I tried with the Iphone 13 of my wife, and the Iphone 13 recognize the Woo Audio !
So I decided to buy the new Ihpne 14 Pro Max , I recevied it right now and unfortunately, the Iphone 14 doesn't recognize it , contrary to the 13.
So here I am with my new Iphone 14 but impossible to use it with my WA11.
I think I will have to change my Dac/amp and take one with Bluetoth...
So for the record, be careful if you want to use the WA11 with an Iphone 14...

Oct 9, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #755 of 774
Hello, Ì have the WA11 and had a bad experience with it.
I wanted to use it for a transportable use. I wanted to plug with an iphone with the lod I bought from Woo Audio (ligthning - USB-C). So the goal were to plug my Iphone XS Max on the DAC usb-c DAC in the WA11. But it doesn't work The XS Max doesn't want to recognize the Woo Audio as a DAC.
So I tried with the Iphone 13 of my wife, and the Iphone 13 recognize the Woo Audio !
So I decided to buy the new Ihpne 14 Pro Max , I recevied it right now and unfortunately, the Iphone 14 doesn't recognize it , contrary to the 13.
So here I am with my new Iphone 14 but impossible to use it with my WA11.
I think I will have to change my Dac/amp and take one with Bluetoth...
So for the record, be careful if you want to use the WA11 with an Iphone 14...
Try the official Apple Lightning to USB dongle, that one should work.

Oct 9, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #756 of 774
Mine is working Woo Audio’s Lightening - USB Type C cable. Try to change cable. It should work.
5656A2AE-4953-4065-A15C-7C417C670534.png

Oct 9, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #757 of 774
Hello Burrak,
Thanks for your answer and help Burrak and Elira...
@Burrak, what cable lightning usb-c do you use withe your Iphone 14 please ?
I took the woo audio's lod cable because i was searching a short angled lod for portable use. But peharps another one could work...

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #761 of 774
I have had the wa11 for some time and had put it away in my draw..I tend to listen to my hugo 2 but I took it out and set it up and listened last night and I was very surprised how much I enjoyed it...very laid back tube like sound...not as detailed as the hugo 2 but the amp is better and it has a more lively presentation...a nice package that I will be using more

Jan 13, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #762 of 774
Mine is on its way to pair with a Hiby RS6 and DCA Aeon2with balanced cable..and of course bypassing the internal ESS DAC. I had a Burson Soloist but sold it as I was out and about. The RS6 amp is good but the DCAs need power!! This chain is going be muusssssicaaallll !

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #763 of 774
Hi, I just got a WA11 and have been trying to connect it with the Sony WM1AM2 and with my Mac for last 30 min without success.

So, I connected the WA11 to the Sony DAP with the provided cable, with the DAP being the OTG Host. When I do that, the WM1AM2 says "Allow Music Player to access WooAudio?" I hit OK, and then hit USB DAC button in the Sony Music Player app to enable the USB DAC mode. But here is when the probelm starts... It says "No Signal in Input", and "Connection with playback device could not be confirmed. Select USB DAC in the USB settings displayed while trying to connect."

I also tried to connect it to my Mac. I can find WooAudio from my Sound Output, but when I connect my headphone via 4.4mm balanced port, sound comes out for a few seconds and only noise afterwards.

I tried two OTG USB cables including the one Woo Audio provided, two headphones for both balanced and unbalanced output, and no succcess.

Am I doing something wrong in either cases? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't consider myself a tech novice, but this is very frustrating!

Attachments

• 20230501_175954.jpg
    20230501_175954.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230501_180010.jpg
    20230501_180010.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230501_180027.jpg
    20230501_180027.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #765 of 774
Hi, I just got a WA11 and have been trying to connect it with the Sony WM1AM2 and with my Mac for last 30 min without success.

So, I connected the WA11 to the Sony DAP with the provided cable, with the DAP being the OTG Host. When I do that, the WM1AM2 says "Allow Music Player to access WooAudio?" I hit OK, and then hit USB DAC button in the Sony Music Player app to enable the USB DAC mode. But here is when the probelm starts... It says "No Signal in Input", and "Connection with playback device could not be confirmed. Select USB DAC in the USB settings displayed while trying to connect."

I also tried to connect it to my Mac. I can find WooAudio from my Sound Output, but when I connect my headphone via 4.4mm balanced port, sound comes out for a few seconds and only noise afterwards.

I tried two OTG USB cables including the one Woo Audio provided, two headphones for both balanced and unbalanced output, and no succcess.

Am I doing something wrong in either cases? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't consider myself a tech novice, but this is very frustrating!
make sure the cable is connected the correct way, it is directional. Also, make sure the correct app is using the connection as audio will not play from any source but the one that you replied to the prompt on. I also have this device and used it with my mac and pixel 7 pro. The arrows on the cable show you which direction it needs to be. Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back