Woo Audio WA11 Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 25, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #721 of 774
I have a quick question regarding the cables necessary for the wa11 operations, I hope someone can find the time to answer. Does it need a particular OTG cable all the time for data transmission, or simply when using a phone or not even then ? And is it the same for the charging cable, does it need to be a special one ?

Apr 25, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #722 of 774
The WA11 is only USB 2.0 compatible. Whilst I disagree (strongly) with the Woo Audio decision to implement USB 2.0 rather than USB 3.0, they state they did so for compatibility reasons. That however has created a whole new compatibility problems if you have a USB C cable. The A&K SP2000 for instance is USB-C 3.0 compatible.

You can use any USB A -> USB C cable as they are USB 2.0 standard.

You can ONLY use a USB 2.0 compatible USB C -> USB C cable. These are termed 'OTG' cables. Fiio make one.

The charging cables are USB 2.0 compatible.

I hope that makes sense.

Personally, the ESS DAC implementation and the unbalanced quarter inch port are the weakest link with the WA11. The WA11 amp however (subjectively) is relatively clean and for a transportable solution, good especially from the 4.4mm balanced port. I haven't compared it to the C9 as I don't have one but the amp (alone) is better than the iSD diablo. The best results I've had with the WA11 are using the 4.4mm analogue out of the SP2000 with the balanced output or the USB-C connection.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #723 of 774
The WA11 is only USB 2.0 compatible. Whilst I disagree (strongly) with the Woo Audio decision to implement USB 2.0 rather than USB 3.0, they state they did so for compatibility reasons. That however has created a whole new compatibility problems if you have a USB C cable. The A&K SP2000 for instance is USB-C 3.0 compatible.

You can use any USB A -> USB C cable as they are USB 2.0 standard.

You can ONLY use a USB 2.0 compatible USB C -> USB C cable. These are termed 'OTG' cables. Fiio make one.

The charging cables are USB 2.0 compatible.

I hope that makes sense.

Personally, the ESS DAC implementation is by far the weakest link with the WA11. The WA11 amp however (subjectively) is clean and for a transportable solution, very good. I haven't compared it to the C9 as I don't have one but the amp (alone) is better than the iSD diablo. The best results I've had with the WA11 are using the 4.4mm analogue out of the SP2000 or a quality DAC with a balanced output.
Thank you. It is all now very clear ! I'm also mainly buying this for the analog input, so it is a bit less of an issue, still, being limited to using special cabling with some devices is a pain...

Apr 25, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #724 of 774
Thank you. It is all now very clear ! I'm also mainly buying this for the analog input, so it is a bit less of an issue, still, being limited to using special cabling with some devices is a pain...

The unit will only charge with a USB 2.0 cable also. Not a problem if you have USB-A -> USB-C but if you use a modern USB-C <-> USB-C that isn't one of the OTG USB 2.0 cables it won't charge.

Apr 25, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #725 of 774
I lost my long reply, lol, so I'll try to keep it short this time. Be aware that not all DAPs utilize the Pentaconn ground. Astell & Kern DAPs require you to use a special balanced cable that has an additional "pigtail" to connect to the 3.5 mm output for ground. This may also be true for the Sony Players. You will damage the WA11 without it. Woo makes a cable but it is pricey.
https://wooaudio.com/accessories/wooaudio-specialty-cables

If in doubt, please contact Woo directly. It's not worth risking shorting out the input buffer in the WA11.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #726 of 774
Yes, If using a 4.4mm interconnect ensure it is appropriately grounded.
I use the iFi 4.4mm interconnect and the Effect Audio connector for the SP2000 which uses the 3.5mm port as a ground.

Apr 25, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #727 of 774
The USB 2.0 only compatibility is rather annoying, I have been using USB-C exclusively on all of my devices and yet I need a separate OTG cable to work with WA11. I hope they will reconsider this when they make a successor.

May 6, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #728 of 774
It has enough juice to drive these cans, that's for sure. You might take a look our red newcomer positioned above iDSD Signature:)

As a transportable device, iDSD Diablo needed something mechanically more robust than USB-C.
Maybe, but since my laptop, DAP and iPad are all UCB C, that decided me for the Topaz which I've just ordered. (As well as such small things as Topaz coming with international pins for its power supply while the iFi international pins can't be bought in the US except with an additional power supply.)

May 13, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #729 of 774
Received my Topaz a couple of days ago. Does the sound change with burn-in? Listening via Audirvana on Mac, using Sony MDR-Z1R phones, the sound was fairly horrible until I upsampled to DSD - pianos sounded nothing like, violin was a screaming pain. With upsampling much better, although even with Audiervana's extreme audio setting I'm getting blips with notifications and such, which I would have expected the extreme setting to turn off. I've also tried using the Sony NW-ZX507 via USB and that was plain awful, the sound was completely scrambled. Somewhere I read a post by someone very happy with this combo, and I'd be interested to hear of what might work - the 4.4 headphone jack as line-in?

May 14, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #730 of 774
Received my Topaz a couple of days ago. Does the sound change with burn-in? Listening via Audirvana on Mac, using Sony MDR-Z1R phones, the sound was fairly horrible until I upsampled to DSD - pianos sounded nothing like, violin was a screaming pain. With upsampling much better, although even with Audiervana's extreme audio setting I'm getting blips with notifications and such, which I would have expected the extreme setting to turn off. I've also tried using the Sony NW-ZX507 via USB and that was plain awful, the sound was completely scrambled. Somewhere I read a post by someone very happy with this combo, and I'd be interested to hear of what might work - the 4.4 headphone jack as line-in?
Quick update in case anyone read this and shuddered. Fiddling with the dreaded Mac MIDI setup, turning on Do Not Disturb, upsampling to DSD and I'm getting something that's blossoming (there is definitely a burn-in effect). With any luck the Audirvana major update in two days' time will help with the remaining occasional choking (which is weird as even upsampling, Audirvana is using less than 2% of CPU). I'll go on trying to track down the culprit. Using Roon on my stationary headphone system means I had forgotten all the fiddling needed to make a system connected directly to a computer work flawlessly.

May 16, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #731 of 774
@sarnhelen are you using the 4.4mm output [recommended for best sound] to drive the MDR-Z1R?

I prefer the HI level setting for most full-size headphones, LO level setting for IEMs only.

Connect USB cable directly to Mac, don't use any USB hub or connect to monitor.

In Audirvana settings, we recommend the following:

- turn ON "Exclusive Access".

- for DSD setting, use "DSD over PCM 1.0".

- Audio volume at 100%

- turn OFF Signal Processing and Upsampling

May 16, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #732 of 774
@sarnhelen are you using the 4.4mm output [recommended for best sound] to drive the MDR-Z1R?

I prefer the HI level setting for most full-size headphones, LO level setting for IEMs only.

Connect USB cable directly to Mac, don't use any USB hub or connect to monitor.

In Audirvana settings, we recommend the following:

- turn ON "Exclusive Access".

- for DSD setting, use "DSD over PCM 1.0".

- Audio volume at 100%

- turn OFF Signal Processing and Upsampling

May 16, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #733 of 774
Thank you. Yes, I do use the 4.4mm, with exclusive access and have turned off the upsampling, and it all sounds wonderful now, although the Hi setting won't work for Z1Rs - owing to their sensitivity, volume has to be set to the tiniest advance on zero, and any slightest nudge blasts my eardrums. The popping is evidently some computer process interfering with Audirvana, but I'm not getting it this morning which should help me to track down the culprit.

May 16, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #734 of 774
Thank you. Yes, I do use the 4.4mm, with exclusive access and have turned off the upsampling, and it all sounds wonderful now, although the Hi setting won't work for Z1Rs - owing to their sensitivity, volume has to be set to the tiniest advance on zero, and any slightest nudge blasts my eardrums. The popping is evidently some computer process interfering with Audirvana, but I'm not getting it this morning which should help me to track down the culprit.
And by the way, I have never heard Campfire Cascades sound better than with the W11.

May 20, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #735 of 774
I was driving LCD-X's with my Woo and it was pretty good. But moving to Meze Empyrean really show off this amp IMO. Very silky and smooth with nice image and stage and when the music calls for it, punchy. About the only thing I think I'm missing is sub-bass. Does the WA11 roll-off bass below 50Hz? I haven't been able to located a frequency response graph. Using a LG V30+ as source device, playing FLAC. Balanced Pentaconn to the EMpyrean.
So glad I decided to keep my WA11.
Also tried the Diablo and Signature and to my ear the Woo is the more refined and enjoyable. Woo also has great PRAT coupled with the Empyrean.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back