Woo Audio WA-8
Oct 9, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #91 of 838
Thanks fotomeow great info.  It will be really interesting to read impressions of the final production units when they start rolling in.   I wonder if those at the most recent CanJam were the final version. 

Oct 11, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #92 of 838
Really nice looking. I guess I missed it somewhere, but what tubes is it using? 

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #94 of 838
I forgot to follow up on this tread. When I met up with Jack in Tokyo a few months back he mentioned that this planned to be ready for CanJam (which is now done). What's the update on the WA8?

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #95 of 838
I follow someone on Instagram who just posted a pic of themselves listening to an LCD-4 out of a WA8, so I hope that means it's getting close...

FWIW they said this combo sounded amazing

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #96 of 838
Was able to check out the wa-8 at the recent TAVES (Audio Video) show in Toronto with a variety of summit-fi cans the guys from Woo Audio brought to to the show (He-1000, hd800, Audeze lcd3F, Abyss, th900, Berydanamic T1 to name a few). What was remarkable was how well the wa-8 worked with each unit, not to impose its own signature in an obvious manner, but to seemingly enhance the best attributes of each. This trait was extended beautifully to my own Lawton modified th900.

I'm not very good at describing sound signatures, but will just note that in each case there was a sense of ease to the presentation combined with dynamics and detail that at times seemed almost parodoxical given the smoothness of the presentation across the audible range. A good analogy would be the same sense you get from driving a finely tuned sports car in an environment that barely tests its capabilities. Of course this is my opinion based on listening under show conditions.

My impressions after speaking to the guys was that they were really driven more by a sense of personal accomplishment than a specific business requirement to get this exactly right and would take as much time as they needed to ensure this was the case. I think they are close, but are still continuing to refine for production.

To say I was impressed would be an understatement. Really looking forward to the release of this unit!

Nov 20, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #97 of 838
No activity on this thread for over a week, so here is a little something:
Woo has a couple new ads on their Instagram page.
The first one said, paraphrased: "Stay tuned for something very exciting to be shown in 12 hrs"
12 hours later, a new post stating that all Woo electronics will be %10 off b/w Nov 20-30th. 

So maybe the WA8 won't be on sale soon, but at least 10% off is better than a stick in the eye!

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #98 of 838
Any availability date ?  Any comparaison with ALO's CDM ? 

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #99 of 838
  Any availability date ?  Any comparaison with ALO's CDM ? 

My questions exactly. Now that I have received my ALO CDM, 
I'm ready for the dual to begin

Dec 5, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #100 of 838

My questions exactly. Now that I have received my ALO CDM, 
I'm ready for the dual to begin

Well you know already that the WA8 is single ended. So the ALO has some advantage in soundspace with balanced input and output. But the WA8 may be more tubey with a third tube? Will it be as clean as the Alo which is a very neat and capable amplifier and DAC, very well designed, smaller and lighter than WA8,  where tube rolling does not have major effects (subtle differences)... 

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #101 of 838
It's good that Woo is taking their time to get the WA8 just right. Most companies would have said "enough is enough" eight months ago and put out something decent but unremarkable. I'm sure when it appears it will be incredible.

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #102 of 838
  It's good that Woo is taking their time to get the WA8 just right. Most companies would have said "enough is enough" eight months ago and put out something decent but unremarkable. I'm sure when it appears it will be incredible.

Thats what I'm afraid of! The more time they take to improve it, the more I worry that I won't be able to afford it!

Dec 5, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #103 of 838
I hope it sticks near that $1500 price point that was rumored earlier and that has sort of been insinuated by the CDM.  Also would love to hear more impressions, even if they're just prototype units.  Sounds like they're working hard to get this one right.

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #105 of 838
Yes. I have verified with Woo Audio.

No issues here since more time for me to save and Woo Audio to refine ... also I've already spent my Christmas budget!

Nevertheless I'm sure they understand that the longer the wait the greater the expectations for the finished product. If they are able to improve from what I heard last fall we're in for a treat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back