Woo Audio WA-8
Mar 14, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #136 of 838
Then what is the alo cdm that I am using now? :thinking:. I'm pretty sure it is a battery operated vacuum tube amp with a Wolfson dac :sweat_smile:.

"The Continental Dual Mono is a “tube/SS hybrid” amplifier."

http://www.aloaudio.com/amplifiers/continental-dual-mono

We didn't remove your post nor have the ability to. Perhaps you should reach out to mods in PM for an explanation. 

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #137 of 838

Then the brochure needs to be updated to add in SET and with DAC to make the statement "correct".  Not that I give a cahoot if this is world's first or not, it's not like you guys are curing cancer.
Either way, agree that removing post was an inappropriate action.

thanks for your support.  Indeed, I owe and enjoy my portable battery operated Analog Square paper TU-05 ( NOT hybrid, only tubes) since... 2 years !  

Mar 14, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #138 of 838
My comment saying that the WA8 is NOT the "world first battery-operated vacuum tube headphone amplifier" has been removed !

Apparently it is not allowed here to contradict a Sponsor !!

VERY disapointing !
Your post was moderated cos you were spamming/showing off 6 of the repetitive photos of your A2P amp. Had you left your photos out your post wouldn't have been moderated.

If you wish to Invoke sympathy from the audience here you should at least be holistic & be truthful.

End of discussion about moderation.

Mar 14, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #139 of 838
Back to the subject....
Can anyone compare and contrast the WA8 with the WA7 fireflies (aside from the battery power and portability). If one was to only use it at home, which would you go with and why? Thanks.

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #140 of 838
Back to the subject....
Can anyone compare and contrast the WA8 with the WA7 fireflies (aside from the battery power and portability). If one was to only use it at home, which would you go with and why? Thanks.

I've only briefly tried a WA8 prototype, so I can't really compare similarities or differences in how each sounds. If you want to be able to move your headphone setup around the house, then maybe the WA8 is worth the cost. Otherwise, the WA7 is less expensive and offers more power, and possibly more ability to try out different tubes.

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #141 of 838
  Back to the subject....

mmmm....same same. It does not make sense (in desktop use scenario) if the WA7 performs at the same level or better than the WA8. But I suspect that the WA8 is the better performer, SQ-wise. But how much of a difference? In my case, I will be using the WA8 for on-the-go/transportable use with my big cans, while the excellent CDM will be for my iems/ciems/some headphones. Complementary/covering-my-bases thing and because I'm just a nutcase.

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #142 of 838
http://www.tcvblog.com/#!An-evening-with-Jack-Woo/cjds/55e9231c0cf29a3653c09a41

Blogger states:
".....after trying the WA8, the WA7 fell short of my expectations, and really isn’t the way I would go now if I were to purchase a tube amplifier (GET THE WA8 GUYS!)."

Keep in mind the WA8 was still a prototype at the time (6 months ago) and I'm not sure if the WA7 was original or a prototype of the just announced 2nd gen.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/801921/2nd-generation-woo-audio-wa7-fireflies-amp-dac

Looks like the 2nd gen WA7 now has same DAC chip (ES9018K2M) as the WA8 (old WA7 had a TI PCM5102A). WA8's battery and third tube may still make a big difference though.

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #143 of 838
  http://www.tcvblog.com/#!An-evening-with-Jack-Woo/cjds/55e9231c0cf29a3653c09a41

Blogger states:
".....after trying the WA8, the WA7 fell short of my expectations, and really isn’t the way I would go now if I were to purchase a tube amplifier (GET THE WA8 GUYS!)."

Keep in mind the WA8 was still a prototype at the time (6 months ago) and I'm not sure if the WA7 was original or a prototype of the just announced 2nd gen.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/801921/2nd-generation-woo-audio-wa7-fireflies-amp-dac

Looks like the 2nd gen WA7 now has same DAC chip (ES9018K2M) as the WA8 (old WA7 had a TI PCM5102A). WA8's battery and third tube may still make a big difference though.

My opinion listening to the prototype after the WA7 was identical.  WA8 all the way...

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #144 of 838
Has anyone heard both the WA8 and the ALO CDM? Any sound comparisons or impressions?

Need to make a final decision on which one to get. CDM still in the running due to balanced out but not sure it'll make a big difference. Woo (and even Chord) make mostly SE stuff so must be a good reason.

Will mostly be for home use so also considering iFi's Pro iCan and Retro 50.

All are in same price range but I just can't get my head around balanced or SE and subminiature vs. regular tubes.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #145 of 838
I've tried both briefly, but at different shows, not side by side, and only with my Noble K10 ciems. Both are very nice sounding units. Personally, balanced is nice, but not a must have for me. I have not seen anything definitive about tube rolling with the WA8, so the CDM may be a better option if that is a priority for you.
Edit: Did I mention that I ordered a WA8? :wink:

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #146 of 838
Tried a WA8 today at Audio Vision SF... sounds really spectacular (both the DAC and amp modules were in use). Very tubey, but in a good way -- this is not one of those tube amps that can be mistaken for solid-state. It's a beautiful looking and feeling unit, but that's to be expected from Woo. It does run very hot, so I would not keep this in a backpack or other container while playing. Due to the heat, and the size/weight, it's not really practical for listening in your typical airplane/bus/train environment. It's more for keeping in your luggage and using after you arrive at your destination when traveling. (Plus it resembles a comic-book chemical weapon bomb a little too closely to be worth the bother of taking this on carry-on through airports with paranoid security like Dubai/Israel/France/etc.) I don't travel enough to justify this purchase, but for those who do it's strongly worth considering.

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #149 of 838
mmm.....I briefly considered gold but I prefer black or silver. I'm leaning black. I'm just about ready to pre-order as well  as soon as the dealer confirms Fedex shipping rate to my country (no  Woo Audio dealer in the PH).  

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #150 of 838
Gold is the best. Just kidding...personally I like all three finishes. I preordered a gold one.

The gold is absolutely spectacular in person. Goes with the tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back