Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
Jun 25, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #1,081 of 1,192
The Tesla / Thomson-CSF / Telefunken lineup in post #1,077 casts spells on the Beyer DT-1770 (250 ohm): deep bass, limpid midrange and treble, great soundstage (for a closed back h/p, no less!). All possible, no doubt, because of the SR Purple fuse. My prior DT-1770 session preceded the SRP arrival…
6DAF4921-9A17-46E9-90D8-1C041E686C98.jpeg

Jun 25, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #1,082 of 1,192
I agree- I’ve got 6-8 hours with the WA2 post-fuse installation now, and am loving it.

I also meandered into adapter territory for input tubes, and rolled in 12AU7 Brimars (CV4003 1957 Footscray NOS units, sorry @jonathan c , not 12AT7s/CV455s- yet anyway).

DAMN. How can the detail level over a velvety-black background with rich, glowing mids be possible? The 7308s sound like very good solid-state (but solid-state nonetheless) in comparison.

And the air around instruments and voices… we’re not in Kansas anymore, Toto!

Set for tubes now, loving this combo… and a great Norne upgrade cable for my ZMFs arriving today. Getting close to a Nirvana-like harmony here.

(I guess I can remove the bookmarks on those spendy 5998s and such now… yay!)
Duck, I just passed 75 hours on my SR Purple fuse. It is an entirely different animal now than what you're hearing at 8 hours.
Buckle up my friend. The realism is incredible. By far the closest to "being there" that I've experienced on my rig. Total musical immersion.

https://highend-electronics.com/pro...h-purple-quantum-fuses?variant=39439459942518

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #1,083 of 1,192
Duck, I just passed 75 hours on my SR Purple fuse. It is an entirely different animal now than what you're hearing at 8 hours.
Buckle up my friend. The realism is incredible. By far the closest to "being there" that I've experienced on my rig. Total musical immersion.

https://highend-electronics.com/pro...h-purple-quantum-fuses?variant=39439459942518
That’s even better news! SR notes in their docs that 100-200 hours are needed for full burn-in.

I believe someone has noted here that the fuse carries a current (and is therefore being burned in) even when a signal is not being carried, which makes perfect sense- the amp is on, the fuse is being used.

Questions for you @billerb1 / @jonathan c - Woo recommends max consecutive run time of the W2 to eight hours, correct? Have you simply leaving you WA2s on for a few hours a day to accelerate the fuse burn-in?

Jun 25, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #1,084 of 1,192
I play music or long-duration 'burn-in' tracks off youtube....but I try not to go over 4 hours at a time. Usually allow for a half hour minimum cool down before continuing with the burn-in process. I've never just left it on without playing something. I'm not saying that won't work...it's just not what I do.
I think the SR Purple notes that I got from my seller said true burn-in was 200-300 hours.
Enjoy !

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #1,085 of 1,192
I play music or long-duration 'burn-in' tracks off youtube....but I try not to go over 4 hours at a time. Usually allow for a half hour minimum cool down before continuing with the burn-in process. I've never just left it on without playing something. I'm not saying that won't work...it's just not what I do.
I think the SR Purple notes that I got from my seller said true burn-in was 200-300 hours.
Enjoy !
Very helpful, thanks Bill!

Jun 25, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #1,087 of 1,192
That’s even better news! SR notes in their docs that 100-200 hours are needed for full burn-in.

I believe someone has noted here that the fuse carries a current (and is therefore being burned in) even when a signal is not being carried, which makes perfect sense- the amp is on, the fuse is being used.

Questions for you @billerb1 / @jonathan c - Woo recommends max consecutive run time of the W2 to eight hours, correct? Have you simply leaving you WA2s on for a few hours a day to accelerate the fuse burn-in?
I have not used the WA2 more than 4 hours at a time. The power transformers do get warm, as they should, in use. They cool off completely in sixty minutes. The tubes cool off completely in quite less: usually twenty minutes. I try not to accelerate the fuse burn-in. I enjoy the WA2 / music in the here / now with the added satisfaction of knowing that more improvements are on the way 😄.

Jun 25, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #1,088 of 1,192
I have not used the WA2 more than 4 hours at a time. The power transformers do get warm, as they should, in use. They cool off completely in sixty minutes. The tubes cool off completely in quite less: usually twenty minutes. I try not to accelerate the fuse burn-in. I enjoy the WA2 / music in the here / now with the added satisfaction of knowing that more improvements are on the way 😄.
Thanks Jonathan!

Jun 26, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #1,089 of 1,192

Bill I have not bumped into you or been here or the lyr3 rolling thread (particularly) for quite a while.
But what the hell is going on with this fuse talk re the wa2 ???

What’s the latest craze with you kids??

I am in 230v land in Australia, if that matters……………

Jun 26, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #1,090 of 1,192
Crow !!! I thought I heard some caw-ing going on out there. This purple fuse has improved what I hear from the WA2 to a higher degree than going from a stock 6dj8 to a holy grail tube. Comparable to a component upgrade. EVERYTHING is better. Depth, transparency, nuance, impact...the sheer weight of the instruments and voices is much closer to 'live.'
Talk to Alfred at highend-electronics at 760-490-2410. He will walk you thru what you need and what you can expect a helluva lot better than me. But I'll tell you what Crow, I'd never give up this little purple sob. Game-changer for under $200. That doesn't happen much anymore. You'll thank me later like I thanked Jonathan C.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/l...tum-fuse-brand-new-pre-orders-open-now-tweaks

https://www.synergisticresearch.com/fuses/purple-fuse/

1656262453632.png

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #1,091 of 1,192
Crow !!! I thought I heard some caw-ing going on out there. This purple fuse has improved what I hear from the WA2 to a higher degree than going from a stock 6dj8 to a holy grail tube. Comparable to a component upgrade. EVERYTHING is better. Depth, transparency, nuance, impact...the sheer weight of the instruments and voices is much closer to 'live.'
Talk to Alfred at highend-electronics at 760-490-2410. He will walk you thru what you need and what you can expect a helluva lot better than me. But I'll tell you what Crow, I'd never give up this little purple sob. Game-changer for under $200. That doesn't happen much anymore. You'll thank me later like I thanked Jonathan C.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/l...tum-fuse-brand-new-pre-orders-open-now-tweaks

https://www.synergisticresearch.com/fuses/purple-fuse/

1656262453632.png
Are there any other fuses to consider that bring other characters to the table?

Jun 26, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #1,093 of 1,192
• I have tried a number of other makes also: Audio Magic, HiFi Tunings, Telos Audio.
• SR Purple is it.

Jun 29, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #1,094 of 1,192
So as I can be impatient with tech and processes (though hardly ever with people, fortunately), I’ve run the WA2 with the SR Purple Fuse with a steady diet of music in four-hour blocks with at least an hour of cool-down time in between. In total the fuse has (only) about 15-20 hours of use so far.

I should preface the next statement with the fact that I am a believer in both break-in/burn-in periods, as well as cables and power accessories.

I note this because I EXPECTED a change, but at the same time I had limited expectations- both because the break-in time was limited so far, and also because I was a bit skeptical- it’s a FUSE, for Pete’s sake. And it was $ 200, which is a lot for a fuse, but not that much… I mean, we spend hundreds of dollars on cables, after all.

After about eight hours of not listening to my ZMF Eikons while they were running in, I plopped them on, thinking it might sound “pretty good”.

Nope. It was a MAJOR step forward. Almost jaw-droppingly (not a word, I know) so. I just put the Eikons on again, listening to Lorde’s “400 Lux” (from Pure Heroine), and the bass texture, detail, and depth is really amazing. I am a true believer now, and can only imagine how the sound will improve from here.

Bottom line (no pun intended): If you enjoy high-quality bass, getting an SR Purple Fuse is a must. It’s an incredible value with the WA2.

Obviously YMMV as everyone hears things differently, but with my setup (see “signal chain” below) my view echos @billerb1 ’s. EVERYTHING IS BETTER- especially the BASS.

Go ahead, feel free to call it snake oil, whatever- but with a resolving setup, I certainly recommend the fuse upgrade. I’m glad I did it so soon after I got the WA2, actually.

I might even see if Schiit might help me change the Gungnir’s fuse in the future…

Jun 29, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #1,095 of 1,192
Re: SR Purple fuze......... "It's twoo, it's twoo, it's rweely troo." Madeline Khan, Blazing Saddles
Thinking the same thing about my Yggy. I think it voids the guarantee....I think I read that somewhere.
Any info would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back