Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
Jun 29, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #1,096 of 1,192
Re: SR Purple fuze......... "It's twoo, it's twoo, it's rweely troo." Madeline Khan, Blazing Saddles
Thinking the same thing about my Yggy. I think it voids the guarantee....I think I read that somewhere.
Any info would be appreciated.
I was thinking I’d be straight up with Schiit and email them. Perhaps I could buy a fuse and ship it to them with my DAC… we’ll see, but I need to wait until the holidays.

Jun 29, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #1,097 of 1,192
Here are my thoughts about Gungnir/Yggy warranty. I assume that on the back of each DAC is verbiage such as “no user serviceable parts inside”. That is, user - keep out! If you open up / unscrew the DACs to get to the fuse, that is an unauthorised ‘entry’. There goes the warranty…💸.

EDIT: The verbiage above did not deter me from putting SRP in Valhalla 2 and in Lyr 3 😏😄

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #1,098 of 1,192
Re: SR Purple fuze......... "It's twoo, it's twoo, it's rweely troo." Madeline Khan, Blazing Saddles
Thinking the same thing about my Yggy. I think it voids the guarantee....I think I read that somewhere.
Any info would be appreciated.
1656483407786.gif

Jun 29, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #1,099 of 1,192
Here are my thoughts about Gungnir/Yggy warranty. I assume that on the back of each DAC is verbiage such as “no user serviceable parts inside”. That is, user - keep out! If you open up / unscrew the DACs to get to the fuse, that is an unauthorised ‘entry’. There goes the warranty…💸.

EDIT: The verbiage above did not deter me from putting SRP in Valhalla 2 and in Lyr 3 😏😄
Yeah, thought so. Too bad cause I'd love to hear it with the SRP. Hmmmm...

Jul 10, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #1,100 of 1,192
Plugged two bargain 421A tubes into my WA2 today. Purchased them separately. Paid $240 plus shipping total. One of them has broken glass in it but right now, the way this amp sounds with these tubes in it, I don't care!

Jul 10, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #1,101 of 1,192
Plugged two bargain 421A tubes into my WA2 today. Purchased them separately. Paid $240 plus shipping total. One of them has broken glass in it but right now, the way this amp sounds with these tubes in it, I don't care!
Out of curiosity, what are the rectifier tubes and the driver tubes 🤔?

Jul 10, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #1,102 of 1,192
Out of curiosity, what are the rectifier tubes and the driver tubes 🤔?
I am reluctant to say but my driver de jour is the well broken in Phillips PCC 189. I am using a Telefunken rectifier.

Jul 11, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #1,103 of 1,192
I am reluctant to say but my driver de jour is the well broken in Phillips PCC 189. I am using a Telefunken rectifier.
Also out of curiosity, why are you reluctant to say your driver and rectifier tubes?

Jul 11, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #1,104 of 1,192
As long as they are working i guess they are fine.

Some years ago I bought some cheap gec6as7g.
They often have a slight hum that is audible when no music is playing or if I am listening to it in very quiet passages.
I am happy to deal with that as these 4 were bought cheap. And sound great.
Though i sometimes wonder what an NOS pair would sound like or how much better they might be. But then again I am happy to stick with what I have.
Ignorance is bliss.

Jul 11, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #1,105 of 1,192
Also out of curiosity, why are you reluctant to say your driver and rectifier tubes?
I am not at all concerned about the rectifier tube. There are old posts that criticize the use of the PCC189 in this application because of the variable µ.

Jul 11, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #1,106 of 1,192
If you were using GEs, your reluctance would be understood…🤣

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #1,108 of 1,192
I am wondering what the next step up in tube amps would be and if spending $2500 to $3500 is going to get me something that will sound significantly better than this amp running what would be considered to be very good tubes?

Jul 31, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #1,109 of 1,192
I am wondering what the next step up in tube amps would be and if spending $2500 to $3500 is going to get me something that will sound significantly better than this amp running what would be considered to be very good tubes?
Curiosity killed the wallet. 😂

Seriously though, two thoughts on this:

1. Is the synergy (apologies for the buzzword) great between your WA2 and your headphones? I find that my ZMFs mesh SO well with the WA2 that they are essentially alternatives to my Stellia, rather than “inferior” in musical enjoyment. The quality bar is ultimately the same to me, which leads me to think the benefit of a well-matched amp/headphone pair adds a significant percentage of quality/enjoyment to listening. Hence the question, as I find myself not wanting for more when listening to my ZMFs and the WA2. More music? Sure- always. More quality? No.

2. Are there other factors that might influence the quality/enjoyment of your system more? That could be higher-quality recordings, cleaner power, cabling or fuses (if you “believe in that sort of thing”- I do), source gear, etc. I’m of the firm belief that a WA2 that is maxed out with great tubes and an improved fuse and high-quality power cord represents a point where diminishing returns kick in HARD. That said, I may be deluded, as I’ve never heard a megabuck head-fi setup. But I HAVE heard a megabuck stereo speaker setup, and in timbre and frequency range (not in sound staging, obviously) my own system holds its own- and musical enjoyment follows suit.

[Quietly pushes soap box back into its storage space and backs away]

Jul 31, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #1,110 of 1,192
If you (for now) disregard the prices…..

for me the start of laying down great tubes for me has been the gec6as7g.

they are not cheap. The prices have gone up considerably since i bought mine 5 or so years ago.

these are the canvas or the foundation of what i build the sound on.

for me these are crucial and better than any others that i have used, including we421a and chatham/tung sols

after that you have (even more) personal options depending on what you want and your dac/hps re the 6dj8

for me the Holland pinched waist tubes. Or some better holland (around early 1960s) tubes - say e188cc red valvos (d getter from memory). Nice rounder tones with good detail.
or you can go authentic telefunkens e188cc for neutralish sound. Or siemens cca (from memory early to mid 60’s) for vibrant lively sound.

(i have not bought tubes for 4 or 5 years so i have forgotten most of what i knew when i spent one year purely tweaking my system through tube options)

but are they value? and will you like them? I don’t know.

i’m guessing the pinched waist and the gec6as7g pairs may total about $1600 usd.

for me these are great with my hd800. Better than any solid state that i have used and were food with my auteurs, that i later sold.

for me these tubes make a noticeable improvement. Absolutely.

I liked the stock wa2 tubes. Nothing special but pleasurable. When i tried the stock tubes after coming back from a holiday i enjoyed them. When i put the upgraded tubes back in the amp definitely improved

will you like them? i don’t know

one thing i say about tube rolling is quality over quantity.

for me, if i started again I would buy the gec6as7g, some very good holland tubes amd as a bonus to mix it up either the telefunkens or siemens depending on how lively or punchy i want it.

absolutely ymmv

this is just my 2c from my own personal experience and my own wallet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back