Wire getting hot on headphones?
Jul 20, 2010 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

1000+ Head-Fier
I know this is technically about a pair of portable headphones, but this would apply to headphones on the whole.
The thing is I've never heard of this happening, and never personally had this issue, but my friend recently purchased a pair of KOSS PortaPros, and is complaining that the wire is getting hot.
Is this normal?

I'm just kinda worried..

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 24
Sounds a bit odd, unless they are being put near something hot...

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 24
yes. very abnormal and strange.

maybe the amp doesn't agree with him?
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 24
x2, I have never heard of, or experienced a headphone cable getting hot, or even changing temperature at all during listening.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 24
The wire is burning in.  Literally.

I kid.  Yeah, this is not normal. If this is really true and not simply psychological or something, then I'd encourage the friend to send it back to Koss for inspection (don't forget, they do have lifetime warranty).

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 24
She has tried them with her computer, radio, phone and iPod.
The phone makes it the hottest, the iPod isn't as much as the others.
What could be causing this? (Considering that she has tried 4 sources with the same effect).

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 24
what part of the cable is getting hot?

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 24

Quote:
She has tried them with her computer, radio, phone and iPod.
The phone makes it the hottest, the iPod isn't as much as the others.
What could be causing this? (Considering that she has tried 4 sources with the same effect).

It'd be best to email Koss for that, I think. 

Have you seen it personally and notice it as well?  I'm having a hard time believing this would actually happen, but if it is true then it's best to just get it repaired.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 24

Oh- SHI

The wire is turning Super-Saiyan

SuperSaiyan.jpg

more people please chim in, and give the owner more tips/ tricks before things get really out of control.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 24
It's over nine thous.... nevermind. 
tongue.gif

P.S: For safety, I hope that the drivers are inert.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #11 of 24
Yeah, probably something wrong with them then.  Koss is supposed to have pretty awesome customer support, so I'd go that route.  Maybe some wires are connected up wrong?

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #12 of 24
Thanks.
Apparently it's from the splitter to the plug.
The headphones themselves and the wires after it splits to L/R are fine.
She says she hasn't had this issue with any other headphones.
To be honest it doesn't make a lot of sense to me either, but I felt it was worth letting you guys know, and seeing what you thought in case there was an actual defect in the headphones.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #13 of 24
It's a power level, that surpasses nine thous, it goes beyond its unimaginable strength

OH SHI-

Super_saiyan_by_lycress.jpg

too late now. Op's friend is long gone.  I warned him.  I F'ing warned him.  Damnit
frown.gif

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
It's over nine thous.... nevermind. 
tongue.gif

P.S: I hope that the drivers are inert.

I see what you did there...

As for the wires running hot, it's not supposed to. Actually, I've never ever heard about headphone wires running hot before!
It's either a defect in the product (wrong wires, bad cabling) or your friend is doing something really wrong. Like plugging it in a 120\220 volt outlet or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back