Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Nov 9, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #3,454 of 4,133
Nov 20, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #3,455 of 4,133
Hey all, just checking in to see if any one has spotted (or knows of) any good black friday deals coming up. I figured we could post them all here so no one misses out on something. Nothing on my radar yet but I'll post it here if I find anything.

Nov 27, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #3,456 of 4,133
Hello all, another Winnipeger here.
Wondering if anyone could give some system upgrade suggestions?

Currently I run a Bluesound Node 2i(Tidal) - Teac UD503 - 2BLP - HE6 (blu tack mod) setup.
Trying to decide on the next steps
1. DAC: upgrade the UD503 to YGG etc.
2. DAC/Source: upgrade the Node & UD 503 into streaming preamp all in ones
3. AMP: such as AHB2, NAD M22 etc.
4. Cables/Power: Currently everything is stock.

In terms of best improvement, which one should I take?

Nov 28, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #3,457 of 4,133
Hello all, another Winnipeger here.
Wondering if anyone could give some system upgrade suggestions?

Currently I run a Bluesound Node 2i(Tidal) - Teac UD503 - 2BLP - HE6 (blu tack mod) setup.
Trying to decide on the next steps
1. DAC: upgrade the UD503 to YGG etc.
2. DAC/Source: upgrade the Node & UD 503 into streaming preamp all in ones
3. AMP: such as AHB2, NAD M22 etc.
4. Cables/Power: Currently everything is stock.

In terms of best improvement, which one should I take?

I'm not familiar with that TEAC, but in general their previous products have not garnered much fanfare.

The Bryston 2B is a good amp to pair with the HE-6, and is my mid-tier pick. After that, I have the AHB2 and can heartily recommend it (I actually just got a second one... not sure if I should try dual monos yet lol). A good friend of mine used to have the M22 and also enjoyed it, saying it was a tossup between that or the AHB2.

For dacs, the Yggy is indeed fantastic, but if you're looking to not dump that much money into it right away then maybe the new Bifrost 2 would be better. Personally, I would sooner put a greater proportion of funds towards the amp. But I believe there's at least two Yggy's within our community if you want to try them out.

If you haven't already, open up the rear grills on the HE-6 and experiment with different pads.

Don't go chasing the rabbit hole of cables just yet, though at the least have a balanced cable so you have more options for playing with amps.

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #3,458 of 4,133
Thanks Armaegis!
How would you describe the improvement of AHB2 over 2B?

I removed the mesh of HE6 grill. Currently running Dekoni TH900 Hybrid pads. Vs stock velour the treble is less, but also bass light. Any good ones you experienced?

Dec 2, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #3,459 of 4,133
Thanks Armaegis!
How would you describe the improvement of AHB2 over 2B?

I removed the mesh of HE6 grill. Currently running Dekoni TH900 Hybrid pads. Vs stock velour the treble is less, but also bass light. Any good ones you experienced?

I feel like I'm writing such stereotypical prose, but the AHB2 is cleaner overall, while the 2B feels meatier and with a little more oomph down low but isn't as clean.
If you're curious, we can arrange a time to meet up to listen.

Dec 7, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #3,461 of 4,133
What do you think of the THX 789 Arm? I think it's great but don't have the He6se to try it with

Mt next hifiman will prob be the Ananda BT.. Just sold the Arya

I haven't heard any of the other THX amps aside from the Benchmark. I've read a few comments saying that the Monoprice one actually sounds better, and it's intriguing as an all-in-one solution for not much more $.

Right now I'm actually running dual AHB2 as monoblock amps on the HE-6 which is just stupid. Surprisingly not a hugely palpable different there, but on my Sennheiser HD25-13's it's quite noticeably better.

Dec 26, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #3,462 of 4,133
Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

I thought I'd mention this here before I try posting elsewhere, I got a Schiit Lyr 3 w/multibit a couple months back as part of a trade deal. It's nice, but ultimately not my thing. If anyone is interested or just wants to give it a try, let me know. Thanks.

edit: comes w/two tubes and also the LISST.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #3,463 of 4,133
Feb 12, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #3,465 of 4,133
Visions Electronics has the NAD HP50 on sale for $108, 67% off. I ordered one online and it arrived within a day of shipping out - seems their warehouse is in Winnipeg. I had to wrestle a bit to get a proper seal, and I'm not sold on the comfort yet, but wow, they sound really good. Amazing stereo imaging (and they're closed!), and the bass goes wayyyy down, without being muddy or overpowering the mids and treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back