Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
post-15464231
Post #3,466 of 3,475

acidbasement

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Visions Electronics has the NAD HP50 on sale for $108, 67% off. I ordered one online and it arrived within a day of shipping out - seems their warehouse is in Winnipeg. I had to wrestle a bit to get a proper seal, and I'm not sold on the comfort yet, but wow, they sound really good. Amazing stereo imaging (and they're closed!), and the bass goes wayyyy down, without being muddy or overpowering the mids and treble.

Reactions: dscythe
post-15464754
Post #3,467 of 3,475

rifi

Head-Fier
Reaction score
Yes, I have owned these before and have considered picking up another pair. They are a great sounding headphone and measure just as well. If you are looking for anything under 350$, they are a no-brainer. Their biggest drawback is the headband. They can create a pretty nasty hotspot during an even modest listening session. @acidbasement, did they have them in every colour?

post-15465098
Post #3,468 of 3,475

Armaegis

Modern Modder Man of Manitoba
HTML... uphill, both ways!
Reaction score
Somewhere in my buy/sell/trade madness years ago, I used to own a pair of those too. I thought they were sonically a smidge better than the Sennheiser Momentums I also had at the time, but yeah the comfort was not great. If they've revised it since then it might be worth another look, but I've been sold on the newer version of the Momentums for a while now.

post-15478899
Post #3,469 of 3,475

q2klepto

Member of the Trade: HiveMind Audio / DESKHERO
Reaction score
Website
www.deskhero.ca
Hey guys - just wanted to say that if youre looking for JDS Labs stuff - im the official exclusive retailer for Canada :)

Trying to get in contact with headfi admin now to become a sponsor here.

post-15509366
Post #3,470 of 3,475

rifi

Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hey guys - just wanted to say that if youre looking for JDS Labs stuff - im the official exclusive retailer for Canada :)

Trying to get in contact with headfi admin now to become a sponsor here.
Great to hear!

On another note, I am starting to realize how bright my Axiom speakers are in my current listening room. I was wondering if anyone had a measurement microphone I could borrow for a weekend to run some room measurements to get a better idea of what I am dealing with and how best to address it. equipment or any leads to find one in town much appreciated! I know you can buy them but I am hoping it doesn't have to get to that. Cheers

post-15518944
Post #3,471 of 3,475

Armaegis

Reaction score
The Apex220 is a cheap measurement mic: https://www.long-mcquade.com/1683/P...Omnidirectional_Test_Reference_Microphone.htm

Without a mic, you can find the problem frequencies by ear if you have an EQ that lets you sweep the hump back and forth. Turn the notch up, because it's easier to hear addition rather than subtraction, and keep it narrow. Sweep back and forth until the music sounds worse, then flip the notch downwards instead. Repeat for various peaks as necessary. Once you've identified the problem spots, you can adjust the width and relative levels.

The cheap yet surprisingly effective method to tame bright speakers is to tape a couple layers of toilet paper in front of the tweeter. Seriously. Although toilet paper is at a bit of a premium these days...

post-15520272
Post #3,472 of 3,475

rifi

Head-Fier
Reaction score
Thanks @Armaegis, I have tried some TP and am currently fairly satisfied with some dryer sheets in front of my tweeters. Ultimately, I think I should rephrase my concerns, while I think the tweeters are pretty aggressive I find I begin to miss detail if I dampen their volume much. I'm starting to think I might be actually looking for more mids so I don't have to listen at high volumes to get the level of mids I am looking for, which likely makes the small speakers sound bright in my large room. I have found that cupping my hands near my ears makes an imperfect but positive impact on the FR I am getting in my room. I probably need bigger speakers/drivers for my room but for now I am happy trying to maximize what I can get out of what I have.

Hope everyone is staying safe and this new reality has let you found a way to justify spending more time in a favourite listening chair.

post-15521339
Post #3,473 of 3,475

Armaegis

Reaction score
Small speakers in a wide shallow room is not the best combination. Tweeter energy is much more directional and additionally bounces off your rear wall and back to your ears. All the mid/bass energy spreads out and loses itself in the room. Putting the speakers a little closer together and aiming not directly at your head might help bring up the midrange, but then you'll lose some spatialness.

post-15527799
Post #3,474 of 3,475

Rubin

Head-Fier
Reaction score
I have an IK Arc mic that came with some IK powered speakers. The only thing is the mic needs a powered 48v input, and it may only work with the Arc software (they don't seem to provide calibration for other software). You can message me if you think that could work for you.

post-15535649
Post #3,475 of 3,475

rifi

Head-Fier
Reaction score
I have an IK Arc mic that came with some IK powered speakers. The only thing is the mic needs a powered 48v input, and it may only work with the Arc software (they don't seem to provide calibration for other software). You can message me if you think that could work for you.
Thanks for the offer @Rubin. I am already in touch with another Winnipeg Head-fier to pick up his mic. On another note, any progress on your headphone baffle 3-D prints? Cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)