Windows Media Player video quality.. stunning??
Oct 20, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #17 of 30

Quote:
Ok, sorry to bother for non audio quality issues,

I`m using 7x64 with a Samsung 32'' HDTV,
I dont remember the time when I gave up using Microsoft WMP, in favor of more tweakable toys like KMPlayer or VLC,

But today I just clicked by mistake a 720p mp4 video file to play with WMP,
I was pretty sure I`d have the message "codec not supported", istead I had this stunning video quality much better than my KMPlayer or vlc,
I`m asking what renderer is using WMP so I can use it with my KMP,
currently I`m using KMP with Haali Renderer,

Don't really know about your stated config I will say that Windows Media Player, though having no other duty on my computer, *IS* my go to DVD player; that said, I use it in conjunction with the Nvidia Pure Video DVD codec and so, in reality, it's the Nvidia codec that looks/sounds so good. I've been using it for a long time and have never thought of changing.

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #18 of 30
Oct 21, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #24 of 30

Quote:
Although I like CCCP and use, I've had enough video/audio sync issues that I'm not going to recommend it.

That's why you need Reclock.

I stopped using CCCP a very long time ago.

Oct 21, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #26 of 30
I prefer MPC-HC over WMP as well, but I don't like VLC.  The colors are completely washed out unless you enable video RGB-Full on your video card.  And even if you do it makes the image a little too dark over washed out.

Only benefit of VLC is on demand viewing of any content that doesn't work on other players.  So its good to have in case of emergencies but otherwise I would never use it as my main player.  VLC is also good if you want to quickly view dvd's of other regions without any work.

WMP and MPC both support just about everything.  Problem with WMP is it doesn't have any real backend settings or rendering configuration.  In fact WMP sucks heavily in that regard, MPC-HC is much much better.

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #27 of 30
Does anyone have a good test video they use when comparing settings? And what would you guys suggest for Blu-ray playback?
I've been using VLC because of its ease of use, but I'm finally willing to spend some time and configure things up for maximum quality. 

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #29 of 30

Quote:
Does anyone have a good test video they use when comparing settings? And what would you guys suggest for Blu-ray playback?
I've been using VLC because of its ease of use, but I'm finally willing to spend some time and configure things up for maximum quality. 

AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray, HD DVD, & MP4 Calibration
Better choise for BD/DVD playback is  Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 now. If your HTPC is HDCP compatible of course. TMT3 allows playback from HDD (PDVD doesn't). With disk mode it provides untouched PVP video stream through videodriver - it's not possible to get better quality from HTPC now. 
If you have no modern AVR with HDMI 1.3/4, you may use free MPC-HC for "disks" and "files". In this case CyberLink PDVD 10 codec seems like best choise for HD video. With ATI card I prefer HAM profile (ATI Stream technology). For "small" video ffdshow H.264/xvid & madVR provide better possible quality. Hope it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back