Will This Be Called The Westone "Epic" Tip?
Mar 17, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #151 of 207
Well, I have no idea whether this shop is legit, but I just ordered some of these tips, sight unseen (I've never seen these tips in person much less actually use them).  I'm just assuming I need the largest size b/c that's the way it tends to be for me...this shop purports to offer the kit w/ all sizes, or you can order 10 piece sets of any single size--color coded.  It looks like they're based in Columbus, Ohio, and I submitted payment via PayPal...a bit pricey w/ shipping: not quite $25USD for 5 pairs of the orange Star tips.  Hoping they work for me on my SM64 b/c fit has been a PITA for me

---->http://www.geartechs.com/store/catalogsearch/result/?q=westone+star+tips

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #152 of 207
I just picked up a pair of Westone 4's from amazon and was pleased to find that the new star tips were included in the box.  As reported above, they are extremely comfortable, sound great and come in two different lengths, as well as different diameters.  I've tried them all, and the medium shorts seem to give me the most balanced response (and the best bass) of the included options.

After a few days of listening, I would say I defeinitely prefer the feel (and sound) of these to my old IE8's with sony hybrids - but it is hard to tell how much of this to attribute to the shape of the housing.  As expected, the Westones don't quite match the IE8's in mid-bass impact or soundstage, but I like them better in every other respect (extension, detail, fr, transparency, coherence).  Really pleased with this purchase overall.  

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #154 of 207
Quote:
the bores for the tips look pretty small
has anyone tried putting these on larger bore iems, eg. jvc fxz200 or gr07?

I just tried fitting the FXZ200. There's no way. The tip is too small and the nozzle too big.

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #155 of 207
Quote:
the bores for the tips look pretty small
has anyone tried putting these on larger bore iems, eg. jvc fxz200 or gr07?

Not the ones you're asking about, obviously, but the bores of the Earsonics SM64 are also a tad bit too thick for the Star Tips as well.  I can get them on, but it seems to constrict the opening of the tips.  I lose top end detail & the low end almost disappears.  So, they sound like Bose gear w/ these tips!  =p

Seriously, I'm disappointed.  I was really hoping these would be the solution I was looking for.  Gonna have to stick w/ the not-so-optimal use of Sony Hybrids on the cores of Comply tips for now.  I've spent (w/ shipping included) about $75 so far in trying to find a non-Franken-tip solution.  I'll just chill for awhile & see if I can stumble across something down the road.

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #156 of 207
Quote:
Not the ones you're asking about, obviously, but the bores of the Earsonics SM64 are also a tad bit too thick for the Star Tips as well.  I can get them on, but it seems to constrict the opening of the tips.  I lose top end detail & the low end almost disappears.  So, they sound like Bose gear w/ these tips!  =p

Seriously, I'm disappointed.  I was really hoping these would be the solution I was looking for.  Gonna have to stick w/ the not-so-optimal use of Sony Hybrids on the cores of Comply tips for now.  I've spent (w/ shipping included) about $75 so far in trying to find a non-Franken-tip solution.  I'll just chill for awhile & see if I can stumble across something down the road.

Haha, I've spent almost as much on various tips as I have on the cost of one of my Westones. I've accepted such losses as part of this  hobby. I'm super glad the Star tips work out for me on the UM3X and W4. Was tired of shelling out for the T100 Comply tips which are pretty much disposable tips notable only for their superior isolation. The Star tips are otherwise their equal or better in terms of sound presentation in my opinion. Time will tell for sure. As of now, my personal preference follows thusly: star tips > comply > olives.

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #157 of 207
How do they compare to Shure black olives?
I prefer these to comply, which just don't last

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #158 of 207
They are better.  Fullness of sound (bass impact) is pretty much the same but you get some added treble clarity without much of any siblance.  It's a win-win IMHO.

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #159 of 207
Yeah, I've always been a comply fan for their comfort but I've happily switched to the star tips. They sound great and are as comfortable as comply. Only downside is a bit less isolation.

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #160 of 207
I'm planning to buy a set of the Star tips for my UM3X IEMs. If I purchased a set of 10 directly from Westone the total price is $21.24 shipped to Texas.
Is there a better deal out there?

Thank You,

Milan

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #161 of 207
I must be the only person on head-fi that swears by the stock large grey silicone which I have substitute for the Shure large grey silicone. Yes I use an amp but not an equaliser. 
Bass- Stellar
Detail - Stellar.

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #162 of 207
My new W4R arrived and had star tips included. They are excellent tips, using orange currently which isolate well.

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #163 of 207
[EDIT}  Scroll down to post 5 to see posted pic where Jant71 was kind enough to help out so you don't have to wait for file to open.

These are not yet released but I got my hands on a few pairs from Westone.  Not sure if they will be called "Epic" but in 10 years on Head-Fi I find it the best universal tip I have ever used.  At least for narrower nozzle IEM's (Shure, Westone, Ety, etc). What the heck took so long?  Leave it to Westone to continue to lead in the universal market.  The picture says it all.  Fit and sound is amazing!  Just another development to further dissuade me from ever buying a custom IEM again.  Keep checking Westone's Twitter and Facebook pages as these should be available soon.

[ATTACHMENT=235]DSCN0125[1].JPG (4,862k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Spyro,

Many thanks. As an owner of the Shure 535 reds I have tried the stock tips, and every Comply tip available (yes all) finally settling on the P series as I have a bend in my right ear that a deep tip slips past. After three months of discomfort and trial and error I cannot say how happy I am with the new Star tips from Westone. I agree with your reaction that the Star tips have open the soundstage with only a slight loss in isolation and the comfort is unbelievable. I also think you are dead right when you found that with the Star tips one size smaller than usual was the right fit. I used the mediums P series from Comply (with the small tips i lost a lot of sub bass) and found the small blue tips from Westone to be the perfect fit. Thank you for your review and recommendation.

May 8, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #165 of 207
I wear the Shure large olives (have 3 dots on them). Medium olives are too small for me. Based on feedback in this thread, should I get the medium/black or red star tips? (one size down). Or could the large/orange work? Anyone have both Olives and Stars to compare sizes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back