Will This Be Called The Westone "Epic" Tip?
Jun 4, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #181 of 207
If only Westone would make the star tips for bigger nozzle sizes it'd be heavenly (Wishful thinking) 
tongue.gif

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #182 of 207
Interesting, definite improvement with the star tips vs the stock grey silicone tips, but surprisingly like the black tips the most so far with the shorter nozzles. Definitely less sibilant and has good bass and better treble extension so the wider tip opening definitely has a benefit.

I was expecting to the like the blue tips very much as they insert deeper into the ear which works very well with the triple flanges, but so far they seem to alter a sound signature a bit too much for my liking, will see whether that changes with time.

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #183 of 207
The clear westone w4r tips (not sure if they come with the regular w4) imo are the best. the tip has a flare to it that imo gives height and airiness feeling to the mids and highs.

i found the star silicone tips to effect the mids and highs, also the height of the soundstage. they are comfortable and soft and great asthetically pleasing however, they dont seem to offer any improvements in sound quality over the westone clear silicone tips.

i feel like 21.00 wasted but its whatever.

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #184 of 207
The clear westone w4r tips (not sure if they come with the regular w4) imo are the best. the tip has a flare to it that imo gives height and airiness feeling to the mids and highs.

i found the star silicone tips to effect the mids and highs, also the height of the soundstage. they are comfortable and soft and great asthetically pleasing however, they dont seem to offer any improvements in sound quality over the westone clear silicone tips.

i feel like 21.00 wasted but its whatever.

Mooses9,

Did your W4r come with the clear silicone tips because the newer ones only come with the Star Tips, the triple flange and the True Fit tips. I looked on Westone's website and they only list the Star and True Fit tips for sale as accessories.

Any idea where to purchase them?

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #185 of 207

yes my w4r did come with the westone clear tips.  the westones look exactly like the shure flex ea810's  from shure, they also look exactly like the shure e2c, however the differences i see is the westones are frosted where the shure's are more clear..they are probably the same thing

here are a picture of the tips im talking about 

Jun 14, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #187 of 207
Quote:
Yes, Westone and Shure use that same clear tip.  Worst tip I have ever put in my ear next to Ety gliders.  They are too rigid and hard IMHO

i agree, and im suprised i like them because they do have a bit of rigidity to them. but i think its the design that i favor so much. im guessing the flared tip is what is enhancing the mids and highs, also giving height and airiness to the sound.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #188 of 207
Quote:
Yes, Westone and Shure use that same clear tip.  Worst tip I have ever put in my ear next to Ety gliders.  They are too rigid and hard IMHO

Yes agree, the worst tips my ears have ever hears!

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #189 of 207
I actually found those tips gave the best sound but the absolute worst comfort known to man. I'm surprised anyone can tolerate them. I lopped the stems off of one of my pairs and now use Brainwavz R1 dual-flanges over them while I wait for the Stars. Great sound, my ears don't find it incredibly comfortable. Better than the Westone tips, though.

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #190 of 207
Quote:
I actually found those tips gave the best sound but the absolute worst comfort known to man. I'm surprised anyone can tolerate them. I lopped the stems off of one of my pairs and now use Brainwavz R1 dual-flanges over them while I wait for the Stars. Great sound, my ears don't find it incredibly comfortable. Better than the Westone tips, though.

you talking about the frosted clear silicone westone tips?

Jun 15, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #191 of 207
you talking about the frosted clear silicone westone tips?

Yep.

I did get my star tips today, though! Seems like black is my preferred size. They give good sound and, thankfully, decent fit. Isolation isn't great, but it's nice to finally have a fit I don't have to fiddle with every couple of minutes. I think that, Comply foams aside, this might be a first for me. Sound is good, though I daresay I enjoyed the R1 dual flanges on the snipped-off stems more. I haven't A/Bed and I have used each tip with a different source, so it isn't exactly a fair comparison at the moment. Comfort it definitely worthwhile over past tips I've tried.

I am interested in giving the foams a shot now that I know what the new Westone sizes are. I do enjoy the Star tips for sure, this is just a question of pushing isolation now.

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #192 of 207
Just to set everyone's heart aflutter, I'd like to confirm that it IS possible to put these on larger-nozzled IEMS with some stretching. I've never had Shure olives, but I imagine it's a similar method. I currently have the black star tips on my Brainwavz R1s. It's the first time I've managed a proper seal with the R1s without them creeping out rapidly. It's the best I've had them sound.

Here are some caveats: the tips have popped off of the stems more than once, although I've currently had them sitting securely for a while. I'm stretching some other sizes out to see if a longer stretch beforehand will make them more likely to grip on more happily later.

The longer tips are not working well for this - I think the extra length of the tip stems creates additional pressure that results in them popping off more easily. I have only had any degree of success with the shorter versions of the tips. The R1s do have very short nozzles with minimal grooves for tips to attach to, so YMMV depending on the IEMs. I also found that cleaning the inside of the tips as well as outside the nozzles with surgical spirits (rubbing alcohol) just before attaching them gives them much more stick.

My version of the R1s did not have protective mesh in the nozzles that the new version now comes with. This means it was easier for me to transfer the tips from a skewer to the nozzles by actually sticking them into the nozzles and forcing them with some twisting motions. Again, depending on the design of your IEMs, YMMV.

Maybe some other people could give it a try and report their results on different IEMs. So far, for me, the black star tips are a success on the R1s.

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #194 of 207
They give an excellent fit for me which is really half the battle that I, and many others, have with IEMs and s also the main culprit for unsatisfactory sound. I can't fairly compare sound vs the larger nozzled tips because they've never given me a good fit with the R1s and hence sound was always compromised to some degree anyway.

Like I say, YMMV depending of what you use. The narrower opening may be better for some IEMs and worse for others. People can but try, I'm just here to confirm that it is possible to put these on larger nozzles since a few people have lamented the fact they can't use them on their other IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back