Will This Be Called The Westone "Epic" Tip?
Nov 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 207

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
[EDIT}  Scroll down to post 5 to see posted pic where Jant71 was kind enough to help out so you don't have to wait for file to open.

These are not yet released but I got my hands on a few pairs from Westone.  Not sure if they will be called "Epic" but in 10 years on Head-Fi I find it the best universal tip I have ever used.  At least for narrower nozzle IEM's (Shure, Westone, Ety, etc). What the heck took so long?  Leave it to Westone to continue to lead in the universal market.  The picture says it all.  Fit and sound is amazing!  Just another development to further dissuade me from ever buying a custom IEM again.  Keep checking Westone's Twitter and Facebook pages as these should be available soon.

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 207
Quote:
These are not yet released but I got my hands on a few pairs from Westone.  Not sure if they will be called "Epic" but in 10 years on Head-Fi I find it the best universal tip I have ever used.  At least for narrower nozzle IEM's (Shure, Westone, Ety, etc). What the heck took so long?  Leave it to Westone to continue to lead in the universal market.  The picture says it all.  Fit and sound is amazing!  Just another development to further dissuade me from ever buying a custom IEM again.  Keep checking Westone's Twitter and Facebook pages as these should be available soon.

Awesome, they look like the comfort and fit of a single flange silicon, combined with the insertion depth and isolation of a triple flange. Or at least I am hoping so, because for my W3's I find the single flanges to be too sibilant from shallow insertion, and I find the triple flanges slightly clumsy.

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 207

smile.gif

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #6 of 207
Jant71:  THANKS!

Difficult to see size perspective from angle of picture but the lowest bottom tip is also the same one shown on the W4 and is pretty much same size as a medium Shure olive.  Maybe a tiny bit larger.

As far as I am concerned these just obsoleted the grey flex sleeves for 2 reasons.  First, as you can see the flange as longer and straighter (not elongated inwards) for a superior seal (BASS) but most importantly the exit hole is large like a comply.  Been waiting for this for years.

In doing an A/B test with the Shure olive I was using, bass is identical but silicone provides an airier treble with no siblance.  Soundstage seems similar.

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 207
Quote:
[EDIT}  Scroll down to post 5 to see posted pic where Jant71 was kind enough to help out so you don't have to wait for file to open.

I know using a de-cored black olive to make the stem fatter in order to fit a Sony Hybrid tip was good, but not having to DIY tips is going to be nice.

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 207
Interesting. The flanges looks thicker than my liking though, but hopefully that's just because of the picture angle.

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #11 of 207
HFA - I never cared for the Sony Hybrids.  Found them too stiff and they would still slip out and weren't all that comfy to me.

ClieOS - It's pretty thin and piable.  IN FACT:  I just inverted a flange inside out and noticed that there are vertical striations (about 8 or 10 per tip) that aid in the tip conforming to your ear canal.  I will try to post a pic later.  Apparently some real thought went into these and me thinks they will have a patent on this feature.  This tips are shipping out with new product but not available as accesory until early 2013.

Inverted flange view below.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #14 of 207
it's just a long single flange tip isn't it? 

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #15 of 207
I've always had a hard time getting silicon tips to fit properly and give me a good seal unless they were triple flanges.  I wonder how these will fit and seal for me as compared to the Comply's I use.  Comply is super comfortable but I'd love to give these a try if only for durability.  The shape of these looks perfect for my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back