Will the upgrade from the Westone UM1 to the Westone UM3X RC or Westone 4R be dramatic?
May 22, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 17
Going from entry level to top tier universal will always be a very noticeable upgrade technically. But it might be a downgrade to your ears if you hate the sound signature of what you are upgrading to.

May 22, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:
Going from entry level to top tier universal will always be a very noticeable upgrade technically. But it might be a downgrade to your ears if you hate the sound signature of what you are upgrading to.

It seems like the UM3X and the 4R are highly praised. I wonder what the odds are that I'll hate the sound signature of either IEMs?

May 22, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

X2. I had the 4R's for a week or so. The sound was balanced, open, and very clear. But to me it was not exciting. I wanted lush and warm and fun and colored. The 4R's were perfect, but boring to me. As always, YMMV.

May 23, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 17
This post reminds me the time when I upgrade my W1 to UM3X two years ago, the world has changed forever..... 
basshead.gif

Now planning to upgrade from W4R to ES5 
wink_face.gif

May 25, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

+2. even if you hate the sound sig at first, im sure it will grow on u.

i cant imagine many ppl going from w1 to w4 wanting to go back to 1.

May 25, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

I am not sure thats a good explanation!  UM1 produces the full spectrum of sound surely.

Uhh... No, it doesn't.  Until you hear a triple driver you won't understand.

My first hi-end IEM  (10 years ago) was the heralded (single driver) Shure E4 and it seemed to cover the whole spectrum pretty well.  After SE530 came out it clearly put that argument to rest.  Like night and day.  Like thinking your Honda Accord V6 is fast then racing it against a Shelby GT or ZR1 Vette.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back