Will The MS-2's out shine my (redundant) HD650?
Aug 10, 2010 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

captian73

Headphoneus Supremus
My HD650's have been sitting on the sideline for months and my six months rule (if i haven't used them for six months they go) has come into effect. I jsut wondered if the Alessandro MS-2's will be a step up form the HD650 or more of a side step?

I have to say looking at the portable market, i'm also thinking of the beyer t50p but we'll skip that for now.

Aug 10, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 12
Source: mainly ipod, and iMac, amp RSA hornet.

Music: mainly fast moving, drum & bass, hip hop.

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 12
The RSA hornet may not have been enough to get the best out of the HD650s, but the ipod on it's own will do well with the MS2i and the hornet will improve it.

It's a very good set of headphones; it's one of the headphones I listen to the most. Excellent detail, tight fast bass, fantastic clear mids and an overall exhilarating sound sig. For me, they aren't better than the HD650, but it depends on your tastes, regardless of that they still get equal head time with me so that says a lot.

Are you familiar with the Grado sound? It's very different to the HD650. Grados (except for the jumbo pad varieties) have next to no sound stage and a very aggressive up front sound. You might find the two would work well together in tandem, or if you aren't liking the HD650 think about another circumaural to complement them.

I've got to say from your music tastes you might love them, I particularly like them for hip hop and faster music, but I feel if I only had Grados I'd miss the sound stage some music really needs to make it what it is.

For the MS2i, by the way, I would really recommend TTVJ Flats to go with them. You need them for the bass and general vibrancy of the sound. 

EDIT: Just spotted the "30 other headphones" in your sig so am guessing you must be familiar with Grados. Hopefully the info will help others reading the thread in future.

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
Have you tried driving the HD-650 with a desktop amp?

I find the HD650 good but a little ... lack luster. I haven't tried them with a desktop amp, but the hornet does a good enough job. my last Grado's were the 325i and i got rid of them after a few weeks, i thought they were hideous .. far to one dimensional, unlike the sr60 and 125. I've got the MS-1i and enjoy them far more than the 60's. 

but i want o use my headphones. sure i got quite a few headphones in my collection, but to be honest i just never use the HD650's enough. I do miss my ultrasone 750, and the 900 are a consideration .. i might put them up for a trade, but i really do like my ms-1's. 

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 12
How do you know the Hornet does a good enough job if you haven't tried them with a desktop?

While I haven't heard the SR325i, by all accounts they are very similar to the MS2i so you probably won't like them either. Did you use them with Flats or Bowls though, or both?

(EDIT: Although I have to say I find my MS2i leaps and bounds better than the SR125i I previously had)

Aug 10, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 12
I used them with flats and the pads from my hd25-1's for a laugh. the Alessandro's a find are warmer than the grado's, that's why i'm thinking of the ms-2's ... the 325i were too edgy and not suited to my music. 

Aug 10, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I find the HD650 good but a little ... lack luster. I haven't tried them with a desktop amp, but the hornet does a good enough job. my last Grado's were the 325i and i got rid of them after a few weeks, i thought they were hideous .. far to one dimensional, unlike the sr60 and 125. I've got the MS-1i and enjoy them far more than the 60's. 

but i want o use my headphones. sure i got quite a few headphones in my collection, but to be honest i just never use the HD650's enough. I do miss my ultrasone 750, and the 900 are a consideration .. i might put them up for a trade, but i really do like my ms-1's. 

Any chance you could get to a meet or hold a mini-meet to try out a desktop-style amp?

When I first bought a system, the HD-650 arrived before my amp did.  I also found the HD-650 lackluster out of iPods and other portable devices.  They got a lot better a few days later when the amp showed up.

Aug 10, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #10 of 12
The HD650 really sings with a nice, well-powered amplifier, man. People who complain about the 'Sennheiser Veil' are almost always those who don't have it well-amped. 

Aug 10, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
The HD650 really sings with a nice, well-powered amplifier, man. People who complain about the 'Sennheiser Veil' are almost always those who don't have it well-amped. 

well I've only owned 30+ Sennheiser's in my time, and although i think they're a good default headphone, i just wanted more. I tried the HD650's with cmoy amps, then went onto the hornet, which i think is a good amp. 

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #12 of 12
Hi, the Hornet is a small battery powered amp meant for driving IEMs and other portable easy to drive earphones/headphones.

The Sennheiser will give you enough volume from portable sources but will be sounding maybe 60 - 70% of it capability.

I would implore you to at least try listening to your HD650s from a reasonably high powered desktop amp of a fellow head-fier or at a store that lets you audition amps and see if they make a difference. If you still dont like them then you can get rid of them and get something that better suits your sound preference.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back