will i hate myself if i won't go for a Grado ?!
Aug 20, 2010 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

stoneshadow

100+ Head-Fier
ok, here i go...i know that  this ''help me choose threads'' really annoys u...but i did some research before posting
and most of the people ask if.... the headphones that they heard that are good, and wanna buy, suits their tastes...i'll do it vice-versa
biggrin.gif

i mostly listen to rock/metal/alternative....and as i heard the Grado is the best for rock...and i have the ksc75 that supose to have the ''grado''-signature...so i allready know that they will suit my tastes...

my question is :

How do the grado Overall Sound Quality... compare to other products on the market???...like Senns, Ath, etc

becouse i fell like i will loose a lot if i won't try them... if they are so good with rock...but i want and SQ beside compatibiliy with my music

and what model from grado will be the best bang for the buck?...and a really noticeble upgrade from ksc75???

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 32
You'll lose nothing, they're easy to sell if you don't like them. And only you can tell if you will like them- somebody else's opinion means little.

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 32
Generally regarded to be the most explosive/quid Grado model is the SR225. I can't personally vouch for the relative performance, I don't have much experience other than a couple minutes at meets with the SR225, SR325, and the HF2. Most threads about Grados usually focus of the SR225, though. Apparently the SR325 is a bit of a sidegrade when compared to the former.

And Supersleuth is absolutely right, Grados are especially easy to resell, particularly if you're open to selling internationally. International consumers pay a hefty premium for Grado gear, IIRC, so I'd imagine that our other friends are always happy to see some at a reasonable price.

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 32
Take the safe route - pick up a SR-60i first to see if you like them.  I don't know if the KSC75 sounds like a Grado, however, I can guarantee that the KSC75 doesn't sit on your head like a Grado.  Some people love the fit and some hate the fit.  I get on well with the design, but it makes some miserable.

So grab a SR-60 and see if you like the sound and the way they sit on your head.  If you love them, save up and go straight for the RS-1.  I know it's a big jump, but they're fairly reasonable used.  The reason you should is because if you love the sound, you won't stop upgrading until you get a RS-1, so you're better off going to one.

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 32

Quote:
Take the safe route - pick up a SR-60i first to see if you like them.  I don't know if the KSC75 sounds like a Grado, however, I can guarantee that the KSC75 doesn't sit on your head like a Grado.  Some people love the fit and some hate the fit.  I get on well with the design, but it makes some miserable.

So grab a SR-60 and see if you like the sound and the way they sit on your head.  If you love them, save up and go straight for the RS-1.  I know it's a big jump, but they're fairly reasonable used.  The reason you should is because if you love the sound, you won't stop upgrading until you get a RS-1, so you're better off going to one.

My kind Uncle, how much do you generally see RS-1s going for on the FS section? Someday I will try Grados, and since I love you and your advice so much, I need to know how much to save (distant future stuff).

EDIT: I've answered my own question, and they are far more affordable than I had thought.

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 32
Good idea! Start with the cheapest ones from Grado, to find out if you love the sound signature of them. If so, move forward to the next models. 

Aug 20, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 32
Thank u all for the help, very much
beerchug.gif

but my primarily question wasn't answered...it was about how do the SQ of grado products compare to other on the market?

I'M 99% SURE THAT I'LL LIKE THE SIGNATURE...i'm interested in overall soud quality...and built quality

and if i understand corect...mainly choises will be sr60...then sr225...and rs1
popcorn.gif

THX AGAIN !
o2smile.gif

Aug 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #8 of 32
Probably not!
I regret going Grado in the first place, instead of going straight to Stax back then. Not that it necessarily a bad route, but there sure are many other routes as well..

Aug 20, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 32

Quote:

How do the grado Overall Sound Quality... compare to other products on the market???...like Senns, Ath, etc

Hard to say, every brand has its own sound signature. Each of them, excels in a particular aspect. 
Its a matter of personal preference. 

Aug 20, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 32

Quote:
Hard to say, every brand has its own sound signature. Each of them, excels in a particular aspect. 

+1

Different strokes for different folks. The only real way is to try them yourself, the opinions of others are simply a proxy.

Aug 20, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 32

Quote:

Seconded.  There are those who love the Grado sound, so to them the sound quality is excellent.  I personally don't care for the sound, so I would be on the other side of the fence throwing small objects from the other yard.

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 32
Yes, try SR60 or 80 first to see if you like it.

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #14 of 32
Aug 20, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #15 of 32
The 225 is better imo. The 325 is more painful because of the heavy metal cups weighing the chafing pads on your ears. The treble is also very extreme

Quote:
So would most of you say the SR325 isn't a very big upgrade from the SR225?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back