Will be awhile until amping... 250ohm or 600ohm with the DT990? I only own a FiiO E5 right now...
Sep 5, 2010 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

FliGuyRyan

Head-Fier
I really want the DT990. REALLY bad now... But, I am also REALLY struggling about the decision to go with the 250ohm instead of the 600ohm. At this point, I just don't know if I can get away with spending $250 on an amp. I have a wife and a little girl - there exist other priorities than a $250 amp. And $250 is the max I foresee spending on it - I can't justify more (preferably $150, even used). 

With that said... someone mentioned that the FiiO E5 would drive the DT990/250 decently to the point that I could listen to them with enjoyment. And please don't laugh, but would the FiiO with the 600ohm just be useless (same ? for the 250ohm)?

Can someone explain what it will sound like exactly if:

1. I listen to either of the DT990 (250 or 600ohm) without amping via my Sprint EVO 4G phone and Gateway laptop?

2. I listen to either of the DT990 (250 or 600ohm) with the FiiO E5 via my Sprint EVO 4G phone and Gateway laptop?

3. I listen to either of them with a dedicated amp/dac?

Also, while I'm at it... can you recommend the least expensive amp/dac with crossfeed that is portable that offers great sound and a rechargeable internal battery? Probably a Meier Move3 I suspect... but what else? Cheaper the better please! Also, if it is inexpensive and lacks features, but will drive either headphone (be specific about which ohm model) adequately, let me know please.

Thanks!
-Ryan

P.S. I'm really wanting a pair of these... if I have to buy them, live with less-than-optimal sound for a little bit, than so-be-it, just let me know what I'm in for that's all. And given that scenario, would it be best to just get the 600ohm?

Sep 5, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 14
You realize you're trying to pair a decent pair of mid range phones with a loudness button? To call the E5 an amp is like saying skull candy are real headphones. And your source is a mobile phone?

The 3move is a good portable unit, I had one, but was never designed to run power hungry phones. You simply can't throw all your money at good headphones and stinge out on all the things it connects to.

If its not in your budget to provide those phones with the back up they need - and that includes a decent source too - then stop burning a hole in your wallet and buy something easier to drive, where you'll get your money's worth.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 14
Why the 990?

Don't get me wrong, I think they are a fantastic pair of headphones and I own them myself, but what is it about them that makes you want them so much?  You might be able to find something that are easier to drive, but will give you the same satisfaction.  Have you heard them before?

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 14
before i settled on my 990/600, i had a pair of 990/250 for roughly 2 weeks, and i was using it with a E5, and source was my pc, watching movies and listening FLAC and CDs. after 24hrs straight burn in for those 2 weeks, i was really enjoying the headphone. initially i was not willing to spend more on amp or source for more than what my 990 costed me, hence the choice of E5.

after i exchanged my 250ohm for 600ohm ( that was asking for trouble lol ), at first i missed my 2 week burn in 250ohm lol, largely due to the burn in period difference and the 600ohm was obviously killing the E5, after 3 weeks of burn in ( it took longer than the 250ohm ), the kind of details and sounds i was expecting started coming in, and i am now a bit happier lol, but i understand to bring out the full potential of my 600ohm, i need to get a decent dedicated headamp and some good source later on.

so basically if you want 990 really bad, i would say E5 is ok for the 250ohm from my own experience, and later on if you have like a $200 budget it will make it better for sure. but if you are not ready to lay down a 1k budget on amp and source, don't touch the 600ohm lol.

as of now my amp budget has gone from $200 to $800. i was expecting more reviews and impression from the new schiit line of amps, but i'm done waiting, am moving on to source hunt.

lastly i'm as new to this stuff as you are, so take it with a grain of salt, but if you have a limited budget by choosing th 250ohm will serve you a lot better, so you probably won't hear yourself whispering "you aren't treating your 990 right buddy"

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 14
I have the 880/250. I can plug it into my iPhone headphone out and it can reach a volume that is ALMOST enjoyable. It's not something I do though, I just wanted to see how it would do. I would guess that the iPhone 4 headphone out is more powerful than the e5. With my PC, I can get away with no amp a bit more easily. With the Pre-amp function in most music players I can get more volume from the dt880 and hd650. I'm talking about volume, not audio quality.
If there's any portable amp that can drive the 990/600, it's the SR-71a or standard SR-71 RSA amps. A $450 portable amp...Or you could spend 200-300 and get a decent desktop amp that will drive them with authority. If you want the 990/600, get it. Just be prepared to experience them at 1/4 of their potential until you get a decent amp. But, it will all be worth it when you do get the extra cash to get an amp. Or, spend $200 on some Turbine Pro Golds and enjoy your music close to its full potential straight from your smart phone headphone out TOMORROW. That's my suggestion.

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 14
I will use the DT 880 (600 ohm) with the Sparrow B version from Audio-GD. It will cost less then $200 (shipping from China included), and the unit works as a DAC and AMP. It may not be THE option in amplification for beyers, but for a budget amp, it quite does its job, they say.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #8 of 14
Alright, so here's where I'm coming from...

I own a pair of Monster's Turbine Pro Copper in-ear monitors and I am in absolute love with them. They were the first (and hopefully last - because I'm perfectly content with them) IEM I will buy. But, there are times when I don't want things plugging up my ear canals and would like a little more relaxed listening environment. After doing lots of research, I bought a pair of AD700 and was awed with the soundstage and detail in the highs, but I couldn't live with the fact that they're seriously - deep - bass anemic (well, and they're purple, and feel like flimsy plastic compared to say, the M50). 

I've auditioned the AD700, the M50s, SRH840 and the DT770 Pro (80ohm). I REALLY liked the DT770, but at the time I wasn't seriously considering it because of it's price compared to the $88 AD700. Well, I've gotten over that a little and have decided to move up the price ladder a little. The FiiO amp serves it's purpose for adding a little clarity to my EVO 4G output which is all I wanted. Believe me when I say, I know that a $20 "amp" isn't going to help much when you have a high ohm headphone and didn't expect THAT much out of it. But, after reviewing several threads and comments, I thought I was going to go for the 880, but people have said the 990 are better for music. I'm not a basshead, but I enjoy clean, deep bass with the occasional slam such as Kanye West's Love Lockdown sounds through my Turbine Pro Copper. From listening to them, I've discovered good sound - they're amazing. If I can mimic their sound in a headphone that would be pure delight and I think the 990 would be it from what I gather with my research. I believe the 990 would be great because of soundstage (compared to the AD700, similar, but not perfect - understood) and better in the bass department of the AD700. This is what I'm looking for. I want to be able feel the bass - if only a little, not all the time like the 770 (or more-so M50). 

I didn't like the SRH840 as it sounded like the artists where right next to my ears and it sounded muddied compared to the DT770Pro. As for the M50s, well, it was great at first and I liked it a lot - until I heard the 770Pro. The clarity is just worlds apart. I can live without M50 bass to gain the clarity in the highs, soundstage, etc... I thought the 770 had a great sound, but I would like to buy the 990 and see what it is like in comparison. I can do this at Guitar Center and if the 990 doesn't fit the bill, I'll buy the 770, and enjoy the newfound bass.

Right now in my life I have the opportunity to spend about $200 on a pair of headphones. I will have to space the amp-buying out a little bit because my wife would leave me if I bought $500 in audio gear just to enjoy my music a little more. On the other hand, the 990 "sound" incredible from what people say about them. Yes... I understand that they need an amp. My concern is that if the 600 sounds SO MUCH BETTER that it's worth it to buy it now, and amp later, then I will. But, if I can get by on the 250 ohm model, then I'll try that. I will probably have a good soundcard in a few months, but until then, I don't have the money to keep buying and trading. This is my situation. My wife sees it as an expensive toy... and it is. I don't NEED a $500 headphone setup. I WANT a $500 audio setup. So please don't dismiss me and say, "Look elsewhere, don't even try it," because down the road, I'll probably be able to buy an amp, just never 15 different headphones to buy and sell.

And right now, at this very second, I'm looking for that "one headphone to end the hunt..."      -      -     -     for now at least. So that is why I'm going to try the 990. Is there an end-all, be-all headphone out there? No. At least not to the guy who will never be content. I don't want to listen to another IEM, because the Pro Coppers are EXACTLY what I was looking for after even more research than I've done for a headphone. That's why I paid what I did, and I believe they deliver for the $250 I bought them for brand new at OneCall.com. All I hear on this forum is, "Just try it. You won't know until you do." And some of you are saying, "Look elsewhere." Well... to those people, I kindly give the finger, but to those who actually had helpful, non-condescending comments, they're much appreciated. I had asked about what amp would be good to drive them in the $200 price range (give or take $100), but I got 1.5 answers... any suggestions on a desktop amp and any other practical portables?

I didn't see really anyone address the 32 (is that right) ohm model... is it bad? 

Anyways... interpret my post as you will, and if you have any more constructive things to say, I ask you to offer it up please. If not, don't waste my time telling me to look elsewhere. And if you do... tell me what I should try and might spark my interest based on what I've told you. I listen to rock, rap and sometimes melodic stuff like Over the Rhine, Sarah McLachlan and Evanescence. I appreciate accurate highs and the occasional deep slam if the song calls for it, but the music I listen to rarely has "deep slam" so proceed as you will. I'm going tomorrow to Guitar Center to order the 250ohm 990. We'll see how it goes I guess. At least they have a great return policy. 

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 14
I think you'll be happy with the 990/250. Do you maybe have a low end or mediocre A/V receiver at home that you could plug your laptop into? You could get more power behind them that way too. Until you got a decent amp at least. It's what I'm doing with my 880/250. Laptop+optical out to a 4 year old low end Yamaha A/V receiver. It drives them to high volumes at decent sound quality.

The main thing is, I think you'll get some enjoyment out of the 990/250, even with your low powered equipment. And when you get some extra cash to spend on a decent amp, you'll be all set. Does your PC have an optical out? If so, I'll suggest the Nuforce HDP. It's a DAC/amp combo for $500 new or around $400 or so used here on the FS forums. This will be great to run your laptop to when you get some cash to splurge with. It will be my next purchase for sure.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
I think you'll be happy with the 990/250. Do you maybe have a low end or mediocre A/V receiver at home that you could plug your laptop into? You could get more power behind them that way too. Until you got a decent amp at least. It's what I'm doing with my 880/250. Laptop+optical out to a 4 year old low end Yamaha A/V receiver. It drives them to high volumes at decent sound quality.

The main thing is, I think you'll get some enjoyment out of the 990/250, even with your low powered equipment. And when you get some extra cash to spend on a decent amp, you'll be all set. Does your PC have an optical out? If so, I'll suggest the Nuforce HDP. It's a DAC/amp combo for $500 new or around $400 or so used here on the FS forums. This will be great to run your laptop to when you get some cash to splurge with. It will be my next purchase for sure.

Cory,

Thank you for the backing... That's all I really want right now is more than decent. If they sound good, but not to their full potential fine - that's great. And if they sound better amped, then I'll amp them, but eventually. 

I'm sold... I'm ordering them tomorrow. 

Sep 7, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Cory,

Thank you for the backing... That's all I really want right now is more than decent. If they sound good, but not to their full potential fine - that's great. And if they sound better amped, then I'll amp them, but eventually. 

I'm sold... I'm ordering them tomorrow. 

Your source is still a mobile phone. That's like buying a Ferrari F40 and shoving a Fiat 500 engine in it.

Amping is only part of getting the best from phones that need it. The better the phones are, the less plug n play they are, and SQ is only as good as your worst component.

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #12 of 14
Drubbing,

While I do appreciate the advice - and I totally understand your example - I would rather have a good base (no pun intended) to start out with, and add other things like sources and amps later that's all. Like I said, I will probably pick up a Asus soundcard soon and then probably a desktop amp. 

Does anyone know of a good thread for desktop amp comparisons and/or a good warm amp that isn't too expensive that will drive these? I would like USB and non-USB (HT receiver, etc...) functionality as well as a DAC/AMP combo. 

Thanks for all the help!
-Ryan

Mar 9, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #14 of 14
I haven't used a DT990 but I have used an E5. I think you'd be better off with a used DT990 / 32 Ohm + the E5 for under $205. And then you can trade up once you get your finances in better order.
Hi I bought the dt990s in 32 ohm and 600 ohm. First the 600 ohm with the dragonfly red and then the 32 ohm because I thought the 600 ohm was too much a load for the dragonfly. For the 600 ohm I am planning to buy a Schiit Valhalla 2 who is fine with 600 ohm, after which I can grow/ save money towards the T1s. That is my plan. Best wishes Yoram

Users who are viewing this thread

Back