Why the Sennheiser HD598s are considered the best headphones in the world. Sennheiser HD598 review.
Feb 18, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #286 of 355
Quote:
Another question as these are open, how they behave in the office? The only "open" can I have is a PX-80.

Open 'phones are often a bad idea in that type of environment.  They let lots of sound in which will usually make you crank the volume and other people will beable to hear what you're listening to.

Personally I find the tish-tish-tish sound that leaks from most open headphones more annoying than if the person was just using speakers.  I wouldn't use them unless the environment was fairly quiet and there wasn't anyone nearby who would complain about the leakage.

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #287 of 355
Quote:
Open 'phones are often a bad idea in that type of environment.  They let lots of sound in which will usually make you crank the volume and other people will beable to hear what you're listening to.

Personally I find the tish-tish-tish sound that leaks from most open headphones more annoying than if the person was just using speakers.  I wouldn't use them unless the environment was fairly quiet and there wasn't anyone nearby who would complain about the leakage.

Thanks for the quick reply. I used the PX-80 in a plane.. haha then I realized how annoying it was for other people.

The Shure 940 is really cheap here at around 230 usd while the 598 is rather expensive at 280 usd. I really like the aspect of the 598 and wanted to try an open can, something different. I don't really like the Shure's shape but I do like that the cable is not that long and ends at 3.5 mm.

I hope someone can give me more insight into this decision.

I will be using this to listen to music (not electro) and playing the piano. I would like to use them at work but maybe I will just use the px-80 or the etys MC5 that I own.

Thanks!

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #288 of 355
My klipsch s4 wire on the left speaker got cut and now I'm debating using the 598's in public at the very least outside around campus. Anyone with good or bad experience using these in a public place? My main concern is what to do with all that wire?

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #289 of 355
Quote:
My klipsch s4 wire on the left speaker got cut and now I'm debating using the 598's in public at the very least outside around campus. Anyone with good or bad experience using these in a public place? My main concern is what to do with all that wire?

Should have left this thread to die...

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #290 of 355
NECROMANCY!!!!!

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #291 of 355
Man, this review makes me so glad I picked the HD598's first instead of jumping to the HD800's. My chain goes like this: Titanium HD (RCA) > E09K -> HD598.

These sound absolutely perfect for me for both music and pro gaming (CS:S/CS:GO). LOVE the massive soundstage of these for both purposes. Used a bit of negative EQ to up the bass just a notch or two up for just a bit more oomph and these are absolutely perfect for me.

Starting to doubt wanting to get the HD800, actually..

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #292 of 355
This has probably meen mentioned before. These phone need equalising to bring out their best.

I tried a few frequency sweeps and I could hear there is a dip at 1.8kHz and a peak around 3-4kHz. I also felt that I needed a bit of boost above 5kHz. I used the 24 band graphic equaliser add on to Foobar to get the subjectively smoothest sweep.
Looking at the frequency response curve from Headroom it looks like my guesses at the position and sizes  of the  dips and bumps were spot on.

I ended up with +4dB  at 1.6kHz, -2dB at 4kHz , +2.5dB at 8kHz  with a smooth curve in between.

I was originally trying to fix the harp sound on a Led Zep track. Ironically this change did not really do anything much to the tone - I guess it was recorded to sound bluesy and dark.

Trying it with Vivaldi 4 Seasons, on the other hand, was an absolute revelation. There was a whole lot more detail and better timbre in the violins. A bit closer to HD600s maybe.

These are the subjective views of the author today and are subject to change tomorrow.

May 19, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #294 of 355
Foobar2k son

Get some WASAPI in your life 
dt880smile.png

Quote:
what's a good equalizer to use for these headphones? ITunes equalizer okay?

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #296 of 355
Having been a newbie to the audiophile world, I tried HD 598 but did not find the soundstage as spacious as mentioned with Fiio E07K. My Panasonic RP HTF600S had the same soundstage (for me). If you could think of a better amplifier in $100 to 200 price range that could make the 598 more spacious please suggest.

Jun 21, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #297 of 355
Having been a newbie to the audiophile world, I tried HD 598 but did not find the soundstage as spacious as mentioned with Fiio E07K. My Panasonic RP HTF600S had the same soundstage (for me). If you could think of a better amplifier in $100 to 200 price range that could make the 598 more spacious please suggest.

First, good to see another Dubaian her eon head-fi. :)

Now, if both headphones had the same soundstage, then maybe there was no more soundstage in the recording you listened to.

The soundstage is first and foremost depending on the recording/mixing. No headphone can create soundstage where there is none.

Even soundstage monsters can only do what is is already created in the recording, some songs will always be in your head, because that's how they were mixed.

If you want come over and listen to your HD598 on a Schiit Asgard, the NuForce Icon HDP and the Valhalla and then make up your mind.

The possible soundstage with the HD598 is really really good. I have the E07K as well and have not tried it yet with the HD598, I will do so today. The E7 didn't have a great soundstage. From what I can say so far (not with the 598) is that the E07K is better in that regards while not especially great.

Cheers,
K

Jun 21, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #298 of 355
Ok, I compared the E07K with the icon HDP and the Asgard. The difference in soundstage is definitive. The E07K while being clean and nearly as detailed, is just not all the way there. The soundstage with the bigger amps and the HDP as DAC has more depth and width.

Bt again, for its price the Fiio is very good.. But of course you can't expect wonders from a device under $100.

Cheers,
K

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #299 of 355
Is the original poster still posting on this thread? Just wondering if you have another headphone these days that you are more impressed with for the price vs these 598s

Aug 10, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #300 of 355
I love my 598, but they cannot be used to listen to rock or electronic at all. Even with the Beatles has problems. But for Jazz they are perfect. I also have a 558, and the 558 are much better value for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back