Why the Sennheiser HD598s are considered the best headphones in the world. Sennheiser HD598 review.
Dec 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #318 of 355
The impedance peak occurs when the driver in its chamber resonates due to all the effects of inductive, capacitive, mass and compliance elements. It tells us resonance is at about 95 Hz, the impedance is otherwise flat. Closed headphones with some acoustic feedback from the rear chamber to the front chamber would reveal two impedance peaks. In this instance if your measurements are correct indicate the mid to high bass probably being more accented at around resonance since this is also the area of highest acoustic output or greatest excursion. Why would you say that they have a weird impedance peak - compared to what and how that translates into being hard to drive?

After living with and thoroughly enjoyed the sound om my now abused and retired HD 595 over the last five years to the day, I have just ordered a pair of HD 598s this morning, hence my interest in what other members experiences are and their comments.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #321 of 355
  Having the bass of the DT-990 would totally ruin something like the HD-598. MLE didn't you say you can't have everything?
regular_smile%20.gif

I guess you could have quite a lot of bass, some forward mids, but slightly rolled off highs.

If you want a headphone with more bass than the HD-598 and just as good of mids, but maybe even MORE forward, check into the DJ100. The HD-598 is actually not the best headphone in the world. That's the DJ100
beyersmile.png

I only prefer the 598 overall due to it being open and more comfortable.

DJ100 does a few things better to me than the HD-598. DJ100 still gets my vote as some of the best sounding female vocals for a closed headphone under $200. I think they've got the 598 beat in that area.

Since DJ100 didn't become as popular as the M50 like I had hoped (stupid amp requirement!) then the 598 will be good enough for me!

Ok, the 598 may be the more advanced driver, but the DJ100 is my favorite. Even when comparing it to the HD-650 I get a little mad. I won't go there..

Someone once described the DT-48 as like having an audio cable implanted into your brain. For me, that's the DJ100. The only negative is that it's not as clear as some of the $150 studio monitor headphones such as the KRK KNS-8400. Well probably because it's only $80!

Deserves to be loved as much as the KSC75 and Porta Pro
frown.gif

You seemed to be the biggest cheerleader for the DJ100s. I bought them for $40 a few months ago and I must say they have wonderful mids and a bit more bass than the 598s (especially in the sub-bass region. I think it approaches the perfect sound signature for me. I've tried the AKG k240 mkII & the AKG K612 and while they were wonderfully detailed with a good amount of bass, they were too fatiguing for my ears. Too airy. Also, I'm starting to think huge circular cups that AKG uses aren't the most optimal ones. I think the ones on the 598 or 600 make a lot more sense as there isn't all this wasted space. My ears are still recovering, after a week from listening to the 612s. I have ringing in my right ear. That has never happened with any Sennheiser I've owned including the 280pro or 380 pro.

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #322 of 355

You seemed to be the biggest cheerleader for the DJ100s. I bought them for $40 a few months ago and I must say they have wonderful mids and a bit more bass than the 598s (especially in the sub-bass region. I think it approaches the perfect sound signature for me. I've tried the AKG k240 mkII & the AKG K612 and while they were wonderfully detailed with a good amount of bass, they were too fatiguing for my ears. Too airy. Also, I'm starting to think huge circular cups that AKG uses aren't the most optimal ones. I think the ones on the 598 or 600 make a lot more sense as there isn't all this wasted space. My ears are still recovering, after a week from listening to the 612s. I have ringing in my right ear. That has never happened with any Sennheiser I've owned including the 280pro or 380 pro.

Too airy?  
Not sure what you mean by that.

Anyway, the K612's are much more difficult to drive.
They don't sound anywhere nearly as good as they can
without using an appropriately matched amplifier.

But you're fortunate individual with respect to buying headphones
if you've found, for only $40.00, a headphone which you
 "...think [...]approaches the perfect sound signature[...] for you.

:wink:

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #324 of 355

Too airy?  
Not sure what you mean by that.

Anyway, the K612's are much more difficult to drive.
They don't sound anywhere nearly as good as they can
without using an appropriately matched amplifier.

But you're fortunate individual with respect to buying headphones
if you've found, for only $40.00, a headphone which you
 "...think [...]approaches the perfect sound signature[...] for you.

:wink:

Perhaps I'm using the wrong word. I mean it's too sparkly, which is probably fine for most people.

It's not even that they sounded bad at all. I loved the 612s. I listen to all of my headphones through the Audinst HUD-mx1 amp/dac. It's got enough power to drive them.

Well the DJ 100 approaches the signature I want in terms of forward mids, decent bass/subbass, and soft highs, but I don't like the closed aspect of them or their slight lack of comfort, and I don't feel like buying and putting m50 pads on them. I actually bought a pair of hd 600s a week ago, so I'm not exactly saving any money! Fortunately I got them like new for $340.

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #325 of 355
  Perhaps I'm using the wrong word. I mean it's too sparkly, which is probably fine for most people.

It's not even that they sounded bad at all. I loved the 612s. I listen to all of my headphones through the Audinst HUD-mx1 amp/dac. It's got enough power to drive them.

Well the DJ 100 approaches the signature I want in terms of forward mids, decent bass/subbass, and soft highs, but I don't like the closed aspect of them or their slight lack of comfort, and I don't feel like buying and putting m50 pads on them. I actually bought a pair of hd 600s a week ago, so I'm not exactly saving any money! Fortunately I got them like new for $340.

Too much sparkle...thanks for the clarification.

I trust that the Audinst amp is a suitable amp for them.

I didn't much like the DJ100, although it's tricky finding a  
good sounding set of closed headphones in that price range.
When checking into it a while back, I thought that the 
Yamaha RM5A was the best I heard at about $40-$50.
Not sure if it's still in production though.

Feb 13, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #326 of 355
I'm having some trouble deciding which Amp to get for my HD598s
I've had the phones for at least a year..

For the DAC, I'll go with the Schiit Modi2 Uber

I'm deciding between the:

Schiit Magni2 Uber
Schiit Vali
and O2/ODAC (replacing the Modi)

Does anyone have any experience with these combos and the HD 598s?

Thanks.

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #327 of 355
I'm having some trouble deciding which Amp to get for my HD598s
I've had the phones for at least a year..

For the DAC, I'll go with the Schiit Modi2 Uber

I'm deciding between the:

Schiit Magni2 Uber
Schiit Vali
and O2/ODAC (replacing the Modi)

Does anyone have any experience with these combos and the HD 598s?

Thanks.
Go for the Magni 2 Uber. I tried it with the Vali before and to my ears it was ok.

Aug 5, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #329 of 355
Yea, I'm a metalhead, but not really a  basshead. I just stepped up from Denon D7000s to Tesla T1s. There are quite a few headphones with expansive soundstage and intimate midrange, like the T1s (yes I know about the price) but without that washy grainy sound. It's energetic, no doubt, but it just sounds disgusting to me. Keep in mind I said I tested it with many genres.

As for better headphones, I just went through 2 months and constant testing so yes I have some recommendations. My absolute favorite ever (beating out the D7Ks and HD800s handily) are the T1s. If you want the ultimate all-rounders, this is as good as it gets. For the "ultimate rock and basshead headphone", the D7000 is probably the next best thing to the Edition 8+. They were my first pair of "heavenly" headphones that I dropped after realizing, thanks to the AD700s, how much I love soundstage.

Damn! T1? Edition 8? Those are insane! I mean I hate those cans lol

Aug 5, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #330 of 355
Sorry, im very late to the party, but I just got to comment on that title. I'm a proud owner of an HD598, but I would never say that they are 'considered' to be the best headphones in the world without putting some qualifiers after that such as "under $150".

I will go as far as to say that they are one of the most neutral headphones I've ever heard, but that's not nearly reason enough for me to give a "best" rating. They are pleasant, inoffensive, but also not a ton of fun. They're the Honda Accord of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back