Why the Sennheiser HD598s are considered the best headphones in the world. Sennheiser HD598 review.
May 17, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #151 of 355

hey, the cable of 598 is actually detachable right? so why dont you attach the wire to the same plug as the stock one so you can change between the stock and the aftermarket one easily??
Quote:

I just used a cheap Rean 3.55mm plug. It cost me under $2 I believe. The Canare plugs are my favorite, but they're a lot more expensive. I think around $6 and are larger.
They're also easier to solder. A soldering iron with a smaller tip is a good idea.

I hope you're good with a soldering iron
normal_smile%20.gif
I guess if I can do it, anyone else can. I did have a little practice beforehand.

If you're perfectly satisfied with your HD-598 and don't want to possibly kill them, I'd suggest not doing it!

Also, you don't need to drill a large hole for the wire, it's very thin.

I heard you could directly solder wire to the HD-650's drivers. I'll have to try that, but if I killed my HD-650 I'd probably cry
beyersmile.png

May 17, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #152 of 355
The reason you don't want to do this is that it kind of defeats the purpose of a recable. You still have those internal super-thin wires in there. So, if you were to just  make a Mogami cable you'd still have the thin wires going to the other side of the headphone. It's best to totally rewire it and bypass all the internal wires.

I actually haven't checked to see if the 2.55mm is standard or requires a replacement from Sennheiser. Some of the other headphones I've had won't let you use your own cable. I think this one is not standard since it's a twist and lock type.

Quote:
hey, the cable of 598 is actually detachable right? so why dont you attach the wire to the same plug as the stock one so you can change between the stock and the aftermarket one easily??

May 18, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #153 of 355
OK, I'm really digging the extra 24 db boost in subbass with the HD598. Truly. Seriously. I think everything actually sounds MORE spacious.
eek.gif
The rumbling from the subbass is making the brighter frequencies sound further away. The way the bass surrounds the music creates a huge sense of space.

I don't want to admit it, but I'm REALLY enjoying Lady Gaga. "Baby you'll be famous (Sennheiser HD598)!"

Guys, the best headphones in the world just got better.

May 18, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #155 of 355
24 db boost in the sub-bass? Heck why not just go for 50 or even 75. Make it an orgy of bass. Now I dont know if that makes it a best headphone -- or even a best bass. Maybe the most bass if the tones are not totally wrecked in distortion.

May 18, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #156 of 355
Quote:
OK, I'm really digging the extra 24 db boost in subbass with the HD598. Truly. Seriously. I think everything actually sounds MORE spacious.
eek.gif
The rumbling from the subbass is making the brighter frequencies sound further away. The way the bass surrounds the music creates a huge sense of space.

I don't want to admit it, but I'm REALLY enjoying Lady Gaga. "Baby you'll be famous (Sennheiser HD598)!"

Guys, the best headphones in the world just got better.

I may need a stronger amp to do that with my modded T50RPs.  After I drop everything but the sub bass 12db (so it doesn't clip digitally) I can max the volume on my Maverick D1 and still listen for a song or two with out any discomfort and I listen on the quiet side.  Most people seem to listen a lot louder than I do.  Its not exactly a week amp either, rated for 1 watt into 32 ohms  My HD650s were plenty loud with very similar EQ settings with the dial at 50%

Damn you inefficient orthos!  I need a new amp.  Why?  Because of movies.  They aren't loudness war-ed and need even more volume...

May 18, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #157 of 355
Quote:
No, you have become a bass head. Admit it...

I can't afford fish.

Quote:
24 db boost in the sub-bass? Heck why not just go for 50 or even 75. Make it an orgy of bass. Now I dont know if that makes it a best headphone -- or even a best bass. Maybe the most bass if the tones are not totally wrecked in distortion.

My equalizer can't go that high. I can attempt 48 by boosting the low end by 24 db but then I'll have a lot more problems, especially phasing.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT play this song when you have the subbass and bass 20-24db above the rest of the other frequencies. I almost vomited and I have a headache...

I think I might be making my HD598 cry from doing this... She can't handle it, but it's ok

May 18, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #158 of 355

Quote:
I may need a stronger amp to do that with my modded T50RPs.  After I drop everything but the sub bass 12db (so it doesn't clip digitally) I can max the volume on my Maverick D1 and still listen for a song or two with out any discomfort and I listen on the quiet side.  Most people seem to listen a lot louder than I do.  Its not exactly a week amp either, rated for 1 watt into 32 ohms  My HD650s were plenty loud with very similar EQ settings with the dial at 50%

Damn you inefficient orthos!  I need a new amp.  Why?  Because of movies.  They aren't loudness war-ed and need even more volume...

Yea, 24 db is way too much. It's around 12 db right now and I'm really liking it. The bass was initially a bit recessed on the HD598 anyways. There's no clipping with my Anedio D1 since I'm at half volume, but it's a $1270 DAC and amp that I'm using with a $175 headphone. =/

I find that I also listen to fairly lower than average volume. I can listen to this setting late at night and in the morning without killing my ears with treble.

May 18, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #159 of 355
Quote:
Yea, 24 db is way too much. It's around 12 db right now and I'm really liking it. The bass was initially a bit recessed on the HD598 anyways. There's no clipping with my Anedio D1 since I'm at half volume, but it's a $1270 DAC and amp that I'm using with a $175 headphone. =/

I find that I also listen to fairly lower than average volume. I can listen to this setting late at night and in the morning without killing my ears with treble.

Its more about power and efficiency.  I can't comment on the quality of the DAC but the amp in you D1 doesn't seem like its much stronger than the amp in my D1.  Maybe better quality, I don't know, but it doesn't have the raw power and gain that orthos need if you add in some subtractive EQ.  Those 598s are even more efficient than my HD650s and even my cheap D1 handles those fine with crazy amounts of EQ.

I'll have to see how it goes with different movies, tv shows, and such but at this rate I might have to get a Lyr.

May 18, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #160 of 355

Quote:
Quote:

Its more about power and efficiency.  I can't comment on the quality of the DAC but the amp in you D1 doesn't seem like its much stronger than the amp in my D1.  Maybe better quality, I don't know, but it doesn't have the raw power and gain that orthos need if you add in some subtractive EQ.  Those 598s are even more efficient than my HD650s and even my cheap D1 handles those fine with crazy amounts of EQ.

I'll have to see how it goes with different movies, tv shows, and such but at this rate I might have to get a Lyr.

I haven't really considered getting an amplifier for orthos. I want to see how my coming DIY KGSS electrostatic amp turns out. If worse comes to worse, I may have to save up for a Blue Hawaii. I really loved how the Stax O2 sounded with the Blue Hawaii over anything else I heard in the SF meet. So much so that it wasn't even a close call with anything else. But if I was going to add an ortho rig too, I probably would opt for the Violectric V200 instead if I had to choose. I really don't like to deal with tubes and it seems like a more practical choice than the Lyr.

May 18, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #161 of 355
Quote:
I haven't really considered getting an amplifier for orthos. I want to see how my coming DIY KGSS electrostatic amp turns out. If worse comes to worse, I may have to save up for a Blue Hawaii. I really loved how the Stax O2 sounded with the Blue Hawaii over anything else I heard in the SF meet. So much so that it wasn't even a close call with anything else. But if I was going to add an ortho rig too, I probably would opt for the Violectric V200 instead if I had to choose. I really don't like to deal with tubes and it seems like a more practical choice than the Lyr.

Its only half as strong and it costs twice as much.  I need to do this on the cheap.  Maybe even a vintage receiver instead...

May 19, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #162 of 355
Quote:
Its only half as strong and it costs twice as much.  I need to do this on the cheap.  Maybe even a vintage receiver instead...

Oh... I didn't realize that. This makes the Lyr seem very attractive for the price. I might consider getting an ortho if I finally hear one with decent soundstage. =/

May 19, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #163 of 355
Quote:
Oh... I didn't realize that. This makes the Lyr seem very attractive for the price. I might consider getting an ortho if I finally hear one with decent soundstage. =/

My modded T50RP has a stage about as wide as my HD650 but with a lot more depth as well as height.  Its very 3D and better than any closed can I can remember hearing though soundstage is harder for me to get a handle on than other attributes at a meet or something.  I didn't use to mind much so I never brought any tracks specifically to test it.

I've never heard an R10 or some of the rarer and very expensive closed 'phones, but from rusty memory the SS seems better than the W1000X and D7000 as well as all of the lower end closed 'phone I've heard.  Its not huge compared to most open phones, but it is a lot more even in all directions.

They're not really that hard to drive on their own but when you start stacking EQ and speaker virtualization or HRTF DSPs that either eat volume or add dynamic range they start needing a lot more gain.  More than most headamps can provide.  I never had a problem driving them with my current setup until one of my tweaks cleaned up a strange coloration in the mids at the expense of the bass so I broke out the subtractive EQ and found myself needing 12dB more gain.

For music it still meets my long term listening level which is rather soft, but it doesn't meet my "crank it for one or two songs" level and movie soundtracks that usually have tons of dynamic range don't meet my long term listening level either.

All this will probably pale before an O2 + BHSE though.  I think a BHSE is strong enough to give you tons of overhead for EQ.  Other stat amps don't seem to have the power FWIR.  Also don't forget that I'm basically an ortho fanboy by now. I'd have an LCD-2 already if I could justify spending that much money on an open can.  My house is just too loud...

May 20, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #165 of 355

Quote:
Just wanted to say that I rigth listening the concerto number 22 for piano of mozart with hd598 and wow... The soundstage is gorgeous and the piano just comes to life with these cans.

Definitely. I'm listening to Schumann right now. Absolutely beautiful.

Quote:
My modded T50RP has a stage about as wide as my HD650 but with a lot more depth as well as height.  Its very 3D and better than any closed can I can remember hearing though soundstage is harder for me to get a handle on than other attributes at a meet or something.  I didn't use to mind much so I never brought any tracks specifically to test it.

I've never heard an R10 or some of the rarer and very expensive closed 'phones, but from rusty memory the SS seems better than the W1000X and D7000 as well as all of the lower end closed 'phone I've heard.  Its not huge compared to most open phones, but it is a lot more even in all directions.

They're not really that hard to drive on their own but when you start stacking EQ and speaker virtualization or HRTF DSPs that either eat volume or add dynamic range they start needing a lot more gain.  More than most headamps can provide.  I never had a problem driving them with my current setup until one of my tweaks cleaned up a strange coloration in the mids at the expense of the bass so I broke out the subtractive EQ and found myself needing 12dB more gain.

For music it still meets my long term listening level which is rather soft, but it doesn't meet my "crank it for one or two songs" level and movie soundtracks that usually have tons of dynamic range don't meet my long term listening level either.

All this will probably pale before an O2 + BHSE though.  I think a BHSE is strong enough to give you tons of overhead for EQ.  Other stat amps don't seem to have the power FWIR.  Also don't forget that I'm basically an ortho fanboy by now. I'd have an LCD-2 already if I could justify spending that much money on an open can.  My house is just too loud...

I wasn't really considering closed headphones since I have my ATH W11R =) If there is one that can surpass it, I would definitely consider it. I didn't care for the R10. It was as open as an open headphone but without sounding better than the current top open headphones. Thunderpants certainly have been interesting me, but I was looking in the hi-fi bass thread and impressions of it seem to be extremely polar.

Actually, in the case of the O2 + BHSE, I probably wouldn't bother EQing it much if at all. They have plenty of low end impact contrary to impressions of other Stax headphones, but the low end seems so well separated from the rest of the sound. From the audition they seemed to match my sonic preferences perfectly. The treble amount is not recessed like LCD2s and not emphasized. They have a rich warm midrange. I'd have to see if that would be true with my music and coming amplifier though. I have a lot of albums mastered bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back