Why the Sennheiser HD598s are considered the best headphones in the world. Sennheiser HD598 review.
May 13, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #121 of 355

Quote:
I've never been able to pass an ABX test with 128 vs lossless, so I keep a lossless archive and listen to 128.  That allows me to have around 75% of my library on my 160GB iPod.

Haha, I don't fret too much about the lossless formats either. I just use whatever is easier which is mostly 320 kbps. There's more important stuff to fret over, like music =)

May 13, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #122 of 355
I've always been of the music comes before the equipment camp.  Even though I've spent a fair amount of money on equipment since joining head-fi, I've spent much, much more on music.

May 13, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #123 of 355
Me too. Source is the most important of all. Although in the past I always used to laugh at people who said you need a new amp if you don't like a headphone. I wanted to believe amp synergy was not a big deal. I've now proven myself wrong.

I now think that a bad matching amp can keep one from liking a headphone! People seem to say otherwise. Didn't love the K702 AND HD-650 until I got new amps. Weird huh? Liked the K702 but didn't love it until I got an E9. On the E9 I didn't love the HD-650 until I got my Micro Amp (which is quite powerful for being so tiny!).

If that wasn't bad enough I've discovered that cables can change a headphones signature a little. What's next, a DAC and power cable having one too?
normal_smile%20.gif
OK, just kidding about the last one...at least I hope so.

If you look at my older posts you can see me describe the Denon D2000 as having uncontrolled bloated bass and recessed mids. I only had a portable amp at the time. A year later I loved it and had a new desktop amp. I then say it has well controlled bass and that the mids didn't sound recessed. Huh?!

I also think pairs of the same model of headphone can vary in sound quality too!

Seem like you an almost tune a headphone to your liking a tad with specific amps and cables. Kind of cool really, but a pain to do and a waste of money. Of course there are people who say that all cables and amps all sound the same. I wish this was true!

Man I sure ramble on a lot, oh well.

I remember doing a lossless comparison years ago and couldn't tell the difference between 320 and FLAC. I could between 192 and 320, but barely. I should do the test on myself again now that I have better headphones. I imagine there are some headphones where I could tell the difference between FLAC and 320kbps, but I probably don't own them! I bet a recabled DT-880 could. Or DT-48E? Not sure. Doesn't matter because I don't need a super revealing headphone anyway.

May 13, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #124 of 355
I guess you need more than one pair of headphones for different purposes and it's difficult to imagine one particular headphones is all you need...

for example, would you use the same headphones when you go to the gym as when you watch movies at home? You probably need a pair of wireless headphones for the latter

cheers
Frank

May 13, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #125 of 355

Quote:

Actually yesterday I was listening to a song on my Ipod Touch and was actually enjoying it...on closer inspection it was marked as [96kbps]!!!!!

Wow. I think that was one I marked as junk and forgot to re-rip. Awhile back I was ripping a bunch of CDs and my encoder somewhere encoded them all to 96kbps?! Luckily I caught them.

Yes, or you might have been totally engrossed in the music again.
tongue.gif

May 13, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #126 of 355

Quote:
I guess you need more than one pair of headphones for different purposes and it's difficult to imagine one particular headphones is all you need...

for example, would you use the same headphones when you go to the gym as when you watch movies at home? You probably need a pair of wireless headphones for the latter

cheers
Frank

LOL, I could imagine having 3, one for isolation and one each for listening at work and home.  However, if you look at my profile, you'll see I wasn't satisfied with 30.  Eventually, I'll get around to selling some more.

May 13, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #127 of 355
Guess what I did today? Check this out!!

It was rather easy, but soldering those wires to the ultra tiny solder points felt like brain surgery. Drilling a hole into the shell was super easy. On first try I scuffed the shell a bit..oops! This is now my 4th or 5th recable and my soldering skills are still just average.

It's a Mogami Mini Starquad with Techflex sleeving and some heatshrink tubing. I really wanted to heatshrink the exposed wires, but I didn't have any thinner heatshrink tubing and will have to get some.

I completely removed all the old internal wires and PCB. I hot glued the new wires inside the cups to hold them in place.

My only regret is not having a good pair of "Pants"(?) for the Y-split part. The only annoyance is that I had to manually cut off the plastic and metal braiding AFTER I got it installed because it was too short and like the cable was trying to strangle me. Now it's perfect.

People can say all they want about cables making zero difference, but I've heard it with my ears numerous times. The difference here is incredible. Call it overkill if you want, but it was 100% worth it. Right now I'm noticing a cleaner sound, more detail and even more/better bass. The stock cable is garbage in comparison.

I also use this with my HD-650 and noticed similar results. Strangely enough on the HD-650 with the Mogami I got the impression of a larger soundstage, but could have been my imagination. It usually takes me about one week to get a good idea of what a cable sounds like with a particular headphone, but the changes between the Mogami on the 598 are HD-650 are so similar. I love Mogami..Canare seems to only be good with treble happy/bass light headphones. I really love Canare with my K702.

Oh yeah...it only cost me under $15!

May 13, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #129 of 355

Quote:

It was rather easy, but soldering those wires to the ultra tiny solder points felt like brain surgery. Drilling a hole into the shell was super easy. On first try I scuffed the shell a bit..oops! This is now my 4th or 5th recable and my soldering skills are still just average.

It's a Mogami Mini Starquad with Techflex sleeving and some heatshrink tubing. I really wanted to heatshrink the exposed wires, but I didn't have any thinner heatshrink tubing and will have to get some.

I completely removed all the old internal wires and PCB. I hot glued the new wires inside the cups to hold them in place.

My only regret is not having a good pair of "Pants"(?) for the Y-split part. The only annoyance is that I had to manually cut off the plastic and metal braiding AFTER I got it installed because it was too short and like the cable was trying to strangle me. Now it's perfect.

People can say all they want about cables making zero difference, but I've heard it with my ears numerous times. The difference here is incredible. Call it overkill if you want, but it was 100% worth it. Right now I'm noticing a cleaner sound, more detail and even more/better bass. The stock cable is garbage in comparison.

I also use this with my HD-650 and noticed similar results. Strangely enough on the HD-650 with the Mogami I got the impression of a larger soundstage, but could have been my imagination. It usually takes me about one week to get a good idea of what a cable sounds like with a particular headphone, but the changes between the Mogami on the 598 are HD-650 are so similar. I love Mogami..Canare seems to only be good with treble happy/bass light headphones. I really love Canare with my K702.

Me and a soldering iron will result in 3 months hospitalization and -50 points in IQ. I'm a bit too busy to start DIY stuff anytime soon, but maybe eventually.

Quote:
LOL, I could imagine having 3, one for isolation and one each for listening at work and home.  However, if you look at my profile, you'll see I wasn't satisfied with 30.  Eventually, I'll get around to selling some more.

You can start a headphone museum! You bring them to meets?

Quote:
My pair just arrived today.  Will get them burned in a bit and compare them side-by-side to my Grado 325is

I will admit, these things are SUPER comfortable...

Great! Please post your impressions. I owned the 325is for a while and it wasn't my cup of tea.

May 14, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #130 of 355
I got them to try them out yesterday, left a better impression on me than a HD 600. Sounds more fun, with more apparent highs. I need to have another listen to it sometime. Hopefully, I will be able to compare against a HD 650 next time around.

May 14, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #132 of 355

Quote:
Your thread is still doing better than mine... 
tongue_smile.gif

You betrayed the HD598 by selling them.

Quote:
I got them to try them out yesterday, left a better impression on me than a HD 600. Sounds more fun, with more apparent highs. I need to have another listen to it sometime. Hopefully, I will be able to compare against a HD 650 next time around.

I agree. =) Please post your impressions if you do.

May 14, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #133 of 355

Quote:

Hey tdock! How's the recabled HD650's soundstage compared to the HD598?

Quote:

cheers
Frank

All you need is the HD598.

May 15, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #134 of 355

Quote:

Hey tdock! How's the recabled HD650's soundstage compared to the HD598?

I'm loving the HD-650 and HD-598 right now with the ultra cheap Mogami cable. Strangely the 598 benefited the most from the recable.  I think I must have listened to my 598 until 3am last night. HD-650 definitely improved too. Sounded a lot more clear and detailed, but it's signature is basically the same. Maybe a tad more bass, but not as much as the Canare added. I don't want any extra bass. Sometimes I wish there was a cable that could reduce the bass of the HD-650. It's still not bass heavy to me of course and I don't like to EQ.

The HD-650's soundstage felt a bit larger with the Mogami cable, but not bigger than the 598, but I'd have to compare them side by side. The soundstage of the HD-650 often feels a tad closed in, but other times quite large. It also varies in size between my E9 and Micro Amp. I'm now a fanboy of those Mogami cables. I even am going to make one for my K702. Who would have thought a new cable could improve a soundstage?

This is just bizarre, every wire I've tried has sounded different...I need to find one that's completely neutral, but the Mogami is close enough. BTW you should hear the bass on the 598 with the Mogami
normal_smile%20.gif

Only complaint about the HD-650 is that I wish it had a tad more treble.... I imagine the recabled wHD-598 will get more head time than the HD-650 soon.

May 15, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #135 of 355
Here's an old comparison I did that some 598 fans might find useful. I went over it to see if any opinions have changed or if I thought I was wrong, but it's still pretty accurate. The 598 held up pretty well!

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/540079/five-headphones-compared-kns-8400-dj100-hd-598-sextett-and-mdr-7506

Users who are viewing this thread

Back