Why the Beats Hate?
Jun 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #316 of 2,037
Quote:
You are fully entitled to your opinion. I personally think the "bass" is decent on the 25s. It not of the quality and amount as the Beyers t5p or what not, but I think it actually does show the recording for what it is. Listening to the 25s right now, skipping through a bunch of electronic tracks. While there is a slight emphais on mid bass, its not over powering and all the sub info is quite accurate. But lets not forget, these are what - 200 dollar headphones? What do beats cost and how much more bloated is the bass? Not even talking about mids or highs here.

Well the hd25 are praised on the basis that they are accurate   (which  I  disagree), while the beats headphones are praised on the basis that they are enjoyable.
So what ? The hd25 could be more accurate, and you'd still find people enjoying more the beats headphones.

I'll also restate that the demo I've done on the store of the beats headphone was limited to completely assess their sound quality, but I  liked what I've heard.
I'm pretty sure,  that paradoxicaly , the hd25 would beat the beats solo with classical music, even though it's not supposed to be the best use of both headphones.

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #318 of 2,037
Well the hd25 are praised on the basis that they are accurate   (which  I  disagree), while the beats headphones are praised on the basis that they are enjoyable.
So what ? The hd25 could be more accurate, and you'd still find people enjoying more the beats headphones.

I'll also restate that the demo I've done on the store of the beats headphone was limited to completely assess their sound quality, but I  liked what I've heard.
I'm pretty sure,  that paradoxicaly , the hd25 would beat the beats solo with classical music, even though it's not supposed to be the best use of both headphones.

Chart doesn't lie - they are down about 3dB at 30Hz. Plus, they are pretty flat. Come on, that is pretty darn great for a small on-ear under 200$ headphone! http://www.head-fi.org/t/550721/sennheiser-hd25-1-ii-vs-akg-k518-review

Beats solo (red line) : (THAT is a mid bass hump right there: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/monster_beats_solo_graph_frcompare.jpg)

Jun 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #319 of 2,037
Quote:
 Come on, that is pretty darn great for a small on-ear under 200$ headphone! http://www.head-fi.org/t/550721/sennheiser-hd25-1-ii-vs-akg-k518-review

First I  bought my hd25 adidas version for nearly 300$ (but it was in Morrocco, so ok).
They are lacking clacking clarity compared to my hd595, or my srh940 (that cost less than 300$)
I  find them a bit muddy, lacking resolution (not to mention the worst soundstage I've ever heard) , which is unacceptable for the price.

Quote:
Beats solo (red line) : (THAT is a mid bass hump right there)

You want to play with graph ?

All right , let's look first at freq response beats solo vs hd25:

The hd25 looks obviously more neutral than the beat solo.
However It looks as if the bass of hd25 was bumped, and the treble recessed.
I  guess you could get similar result with some predefined  "bass boost" presets from eq.
So it's a "coloration", and it could be enjoyable (just like colored glasses, you can get used of them).
The freq response of beat solo looks more regular in bass region, and I  think this matters too.

Now let's look at 500 hz harmonic distortion:

It's not very clear, so I swapped both headphones :

So the beats solo have few peaks in precise locations, while with the hd25 it's spread everywhere.
EDIT: the peaks of solo are much louder.
Never mind I got the feeling sounded quite clean, compared to hd25.

Now let's look at square response 50 hz & 500 hz:

From what I understand, the hd25  have some overshoot in the square response, which gives more "bite" (to re-use a word from innerfidelity) , or I  would say attack, or feeling of fast bass.
However I'd think that the beat solo square response are closer to a square signal, which I'd believe is better.

Anyways I love the bass of the senn Ie7 iem, and since the graph are no more available, I 'll show the ones from the senn IE8:

Imho the bass response of the monster solo , is closer to the senn IE8 response, and I love that kind of bass.

So chart doesn't lie ?

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #323 of 2,037
Quote:
I just hate beats because thay get all this praise and the small(er) companies that deserve it don't.

Praise? Where? From who? 

Do a search on this forum, Beats get at least 25 hate comments for every positive one. Same way on YouTube, same way on the engineering forums. People actually say DON'T buy Beats more than any other headphone......ever.

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #324 of 2,037
Quote:
 Praise? Where? From who? 

Do a search on this forum, Beats get at least 25 hate comments for every positive one. Same way on YouTube, same way on the engineering forums. People actually say DON'T buy Beats more than any other headphone......ever.

Ok. What's a chance of a teen actually doing a formal review of the beats online?(Besides few head-fiers, including me!) Teens don't talk about their headphones online like we do. Those who usually talk about headphones online are enthusiasts or semi-enthusiasts, and they do their research and have some prior knowledge on headphones.

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #325 of 2,037
Quote:
Ok. What's a chance of a teen actually doing a formal review of the beats online?(Besides few head-fiers, including me!) Teens don't talk about their headphones online like we do.

How could  you be so wrong ? There are tons of reviews of beats headphone online at youtube.
And since you specified teen, I looked for a video with someone enough young.
I  skipped to the sound quality part ,  he says : "these are the best headphones I've ever heard" . Got it ?

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #326 of 2,037
Quote:

How could  you be so wrong ? There are tons of reviews of beats headphone online at youtube.
And since you specified teen, I looked for a video with someone enough young.
I  skipped to the sound quality part ,  he says : "these are the best headphones I've ever heard" . Got it ?

Damn. I admit, I'm wrong about reviews, but the reviewers aren't experienced, are they? If he can prove that he has owned or heard higher end headphones and have listened to them for at least 10hours, I would start crediting his opinion. He can't even prove if he owns any other headphones!

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #327 of 2,037
Quote:
Damn. I admit, I'm wrong about reviews, but the reviewers aren't experienced, are they? If he can prove that he has owned or heard higher end headphones and have listened to them for at least 10hours, I would start crediting his opinion. He can't even prove if he owns any other headphones!

All right , let's look at the other hedphone that user  reviewed:
Razer Electra Headphone
Beats by Dr Dre Studio
Beats By Dr Dre Solo
Apple Earpods

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJKP0eYRZrJFU3PF1H_ALBYJ-H0ZytGuV

So no he didn't try "well respected" headphone here. Neverthless you'd  find plenty of reviewers stating at head-fi that the sound quality of the beats pro are worth perhaps 100$-150$ (sold at 400$).  They are not a terrible audiophile  experience ,  and I  guess they are certainly an upgrade compared to the traditional apple ibud.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #328 of 2,037
All right , let's look at the other hedphone that user  reviewed:
Razer Electra Headphone

Beats by Dr Dre Studio

Beats By Dr Dre Solo

Apple Earpods

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJKP0eYRZrJFU3PF1H_ALBYJ-H0ZytGuV

So no he didn't try "well respected" headphone here. Neverthless you'd  find plenty of reviewers stating at head-fi that the sound quality of the beats pro are worth perhaps 100$-150$ (sold at 400$).  They are not a terrible audiophile  experience ,  and I  guess they are certainly an upgrade compared to the traditional apple ibud.
I never said they were terrible. Pros are the only beats I have a bit of respect for having good clarity. However it is definitely not worth 400 dollars.

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #329 of 2,037
I know I may get some hate from this, but allow me to share my personal experience.I got a chance to listen to a pair of Solo HD (new version, not made by Monster) and was expecting a lot of overpowering bass. However, this was not the case. They sound great for dubstep or electric dance music. Listening to Skrillex's "Reptile" had a very nice, tight bass in every "drop" but the mids and highs were more than there. You can hear the distint "reptile" being repeated in the background. Even listening to "Voltage' with bass boost on my EQ didn't touch mids and highs a bit. I was kinda impressed. 

Listening to Rock music proved to be decent. Not AMAZING, but it was enjoyable at least. They really shine with hip hop and dubstep...What they're made for, I guess.

The Pros are, in my opinion, the most well-built headphones I have ever touched. They're full aluminum and are built like a tank. They're sound may not match their price, but the looks and durability may. 

All headphones are subjective and beats are by no means the absolute best for sound quality. They have a different target audience, and they meet their demands well. This forum is full of people who buy audiophilia headphones and therefore have a right to dislike Beats.

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #330 of 2,037
Quote:
Funny you talk about the bose noise cancelling... I went to the mall today with my mother and tried their quiet comfort 15's.... I could hear  70% of what  my mom was saying right next to me... and she was speaking in a normal voice....the music from the demo was at around 50% or so volume... I was Highly disappointed.. But maybe the batteries were dying or something....

People like this obviously don't understand how noise cancelling technology works (at least currently).

No noise cancelling will remove your mother's speaking. Isolation of the headphone is much more important if you want to not be able to hear her. A headphone that isolates better than the Bose will always drown her out more.

What the Bose will do is remove noise. Your mother's voice, unfortunately and contrary to what some kids may think, is not really noise.

White noise is an excellent example. On a TV you see and hear white noise so we all know what it is. The snow on your TV and the noise is the audio and visual representation of the white noise. That's different from an analog channel 10 years ago that barely came in. The channel that is coming in and out contains data that you can resolve and the TV does so, so you see your television show...sort of. This is just like your mother's voice.

Isolation is more like putting on blinders, it doesn't matter if there is data on the other side, you cant see it anyway.

Bose headphones will remove attempt to remove all static sounds that are present in the listening environment. Your mother's voice is dynamic to the environment and therefore will not be removed as it is not expected to be there.

The way that the headphones work is a DSP trick where the headphones take the environments sounds in as an input and it feeds a inversion of that back over the top to cancel the waveforms down to nil. Since the content of your mother's voice changes dynamically and it cannot be inversed in real time, thus it cannot be removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back