Why the Beats Hate?
Jun 24, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #121 of 2,037
^ well i think your right as well when you get down to it i guess (@inther)

but in a related story it still makes me sad that my brother thinks his ipod ear buds sounds better than almost everything out there. I will never forget the image of him shaking his head and telling me his ipod budss sound better while listening to senn hd 600 with beyer A1 amp from a headphone store (audit). Maybe he wasn't listening hard enough? I can only hope

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #123 of 2,037
lol perhaps but he didn't seem so impressed when he listened to my denon d2000 that i switched the d7000 cups with and recabled with mogami. Almost like a denon d5000 (since d2000 and d5000 have same drivers, only the cup and cable is different) which has a lot of bass in my opinion. (A lot of my beats loving friends tend to enjoy this headphone for that reason) Maybe hes just not that interested in music reproduction devices in general since he believes that it is pointless to spend even 50 dollars on any listening device since they all sound similar enough to him. My goal is to one day create a sound system that will noticeably wow him. Not sure if it will come true at this rate though. He also doesn't listen very loudly in general

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #124 of 2,037
I listened in a store , at a demo of  the beats headphone.
Maybe they do not match the definition of "high fidelity"  that some people have in mind, but I found the demo enjoyable , and with the three models ( beats pro, beats studio, beats solo).
However I guess there was a problem with the demo, because the soundstage was relatively good and similar with the three headphones : probably some dsp trickery.
One thing I've learned: treble recession, and a bit "fake"/distorted  bass (bass is echoing on cups) can be pleasant, and certainly "consumer" friendly
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #125 of 2,037
Quote:
lol perhaps but he didn't seem so impressed when he listened to my denon d2000 that i switched the d7000 cups with and recabled with mogami. Almost like a denon d5000 (since d2000 and d5000 have same drivers, only the cup and cable is different) which has a lot of bass in my opinion. (A lot of my beats loving friends tend to enjoy this headphone for that reason) Maybe hes just not that interested in music reproduction devices in general since he believes that it is pointless to spend even 50 dollars on any listening device since they all sound similar enough to him. My goal is to one day create a sound system that will noticeably wow him. Not sure if it will come true at this rate though. He also doesn't listen very loudly in general

That's really weird 
tongue_smile.gif
. What type of music does he listen too?

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #127 of 2,037
Just like the iPhone,if you do your homework,you'll find that the GS4 is over 10 times better in every category. But hey,at least the iPhone isn't claiming to be exactly what the app developers made their games for and slapping a ridiculous price on it like beats. I typed this on my iPhone 5 so don't hate! I'm just a bit of a tech junky so i know my stuff about phones and computers.

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #129 of 2,037
Quote:
Uhh, have we all forgotten... HOW friggen b/a you look with a high gloss band hanging around your neck!?

Let's not get carried away now. Beats owners look ridiculous wearing those things.

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #131 of 2,037
Quote:
Let's not get carried away now. Beats owners look ridiculous wearing those things.

The Beats Pro is the only model that looks somewhat decent (though they are destroyed by wooden cups in the same pricerange).  The Solo HD and Studios look like cheap, plastic toys (especially the Solo HD).  I find the best looking headphone in the $200 range to be the UE-6000.

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #132 of 2,037
Quote:
Just like the iPhone,if you do your homework,you'll find that the GS4 is over 10 times better in every category. But hey,at least the iPhone isn't claiming to be exactly what the app developers made their games for and slapping a ridiculous price on it like beats. I typed this on my iPhone 5 so don't hate! I'm just a bit of a tech junky so i know my stuff about phones and computers.

Sennheiser has been claiming to be the best sounding headphones for years and were overpriced when Dr. Dre was broke on the L.A. streets. 

I've lost count of how many pairs of Sennheisers I've broken and they're still charging $300+ for the plasticky headband and cheap materials. Even if you're an audiophile you have to realize that no matter what pair of Sennheisers you have, there's a better sounding alternative in that price range. 

Yet Sennheisers NEVER get any hate. Why? 

Are they better sounding than Beats? Let's look at that argument. Sennheisers and Beats are always on display at every music or electronics store. Both say they are the best. Thousands of people demo them every day. Yet Beats is winning the battle. When hearing both Beats and Sennheisers in the store, people are preferring Beats. This is a fact. 

Audiophiles here complain about the bass on Beats, but I maintain that there are people out there that absolutely LOVE the bass on Beats and sub bass in general. This is not without a historical precedent. Producers of Star Trek: The Next Generation decided to put low pitched sub bass engine noise throughout every episode. People loved it so much that they decided to put it in all spinoffs and sequels. Deep Space Nine was a stationary Space Station, yet they decided to put engine noise in that too. Cut to present day and you'll find Star Trek engine noise samples because some people are complaining that they can't sleep without it. 

Sorry for the derail but just trying to establish that people love sub bass and the Beats bass in particular. 

For the last 3 years, I've personally put no less than 40 different pairs of headphones on my girlfriend's head and she absolutely positively doesn't like any of them more than her Studio Beats. I'm not talking cheap headphones either. I'm talking Ultrasones, V-Moda, HD-800's, LCD 2's, it doesn't matter. She can't live without the Beats subs. P*sses me off like you wouldn't believe. Then she asks me what kind of con job they did to sell headphones at that price and I must admit I'm very close to strangling her. 

I have many other friends that feel the same way as my girlfriend. I'm just trying to let you all know that these people do exist. They are out there, with bobbing heads and totally oblivious to the audiophile world. 

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #133 of 2,037
Quote:
 Sennheiser has been claiming to be the best sounding headphones for years and were overpriced when Dr. Dre was broke on the L.A. streets. 

I've lost count of how many pairs of Sennheisers I've broken and they're still charging $300+ for the plasticky headband and cheap materials. Even if you're an audiophile you have to realize that no matter what pair of Sennheisers you have, there's a better sounding alternative in that price range. 

Are they better sounding than Beats? Let's look at that argument. Sennheisers and Beats are always on display at every music or electronics store. Both say they are the best. Thousands of people demo them every day. Yet Beats is winning the battle. When hearing both Beats and Sennheisers in the store, people are preferring Beats. This is a fact. 

Audiophiles here complain about the bass on Beats, but I maintain that there are people out there that absolutely LOVE the bass on Beats and sub bass in general. This is not without a historical precedent. Producers of Star Trek: The Next Generation decided to put low pitched sub bass engine noise throughout every episode. People loved it so much that they decided to put it in all spinoffs and sequels. Deep Space Nine was a stationary Space Station, yet they decided to put engine noise in that too. Cut to present day and you'll find Star Trek engine noise samples because some people are complaining that they can't sleep without it. 

Sorry for the derail but just trying to establish that people love sub bass and the Beats bass in particular. 

For the last 3 years, I've personally put no less than 40 different pairs of headphones on my girlfriend's head and she absolutely positively doesn't like any of them more than her Studio Beats. I'm not talking cheap headphones either. I'm talking Ultrasones, V-Moda, HD-800's, LCD 2's, it doesn't matter. She can't live without the Beats subs. P*sses me off like you wouldn't believe. Then she asks me what kind of con job they did to sell headphones at that price and I must admit I'm very close to strangling her. 

I have many other friends that feel the same way as my girlfriend. I'm just trying to let you all know that these people do exist. They are out there, with bobbing heads and totally oblivious to the audiophile world. 

Your friends are used to booming, distorted, innacurate bass.  My Markl-modded D5000 was/is a favorite of many of my friends, most likely due to the very emphasized bass.  The emphasis is very well done, however, and some disliked it simply because it was lacking the bass artifacts of lesser headphones.  I never thought I would hear someone say "where is the bass?" when auditioning a D5000.  These people must have severe hearing damage
blink.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #134 of 2,037
Quote:

Those who put them on and prefer them to similarly priced Sennheiser for example, don't know what to listen for and are only impressed by colorations of the sound. Take for example TV's.  Put a two identical TV's one next to another. One calibrated so that its picture would be as close to reality as possible, and on the other one you boost up the colors, contrast, sharpness, etc. to make it look flashy.  Most people will prefer the second one because it looks more impressive. 

Also, I bet that probably about 95% and more of the people who buy beats never heard any instrument live, probably never heard a person singling properly in person. Walk up to an average teenager walking around with Studios around his neck, and ask him if he's ever been to a live concert where real music was played. I'm positive most will say no.  So how do you expect a person who never heard a live acoustic guitar for example, to appreciate LCD2's more than Beats?   Especially in the case of people who never heard any decent audio, EVER, before trying Beats.  Lets face it, most people NEVER get to hear good sounding audio. I know its a hard thing for us audiophiles to grasp, but majority of people are born, and die, without ever heard a quality piece of audio equipment. Some people never went to a concert even. The best they get is their ear buds that came with their smartphones, crappy TV speakers, crappy car speakers or cheap radios or "hi-fi" systems they get at best buy or similar stores for 50 dollars.  So, for such people, putting on a pair of Beats Studios must be a revelation. Because they've never heard such great (boomy and overpowering) bass and such sound clarity (sharp and spiky highs).

Anyone here remember their trip trough the audio world? I remember specifically about 12-13 years ago when I was in my early teens and I first got into music seriously enough to want some better audio gear, I was totally clueless, I was one of those who never heard a good audio setup. The best I had was an old Sony Walkman casette player and those headphones that came with it...you know those with thin metal headbands that would grab your hair all the time.

It makes me feel embarrassed now, but back then I ONLY cared about bass. The first audio setup I bought was some kind of ****ty Sony mini-hifi system that had huge bass. Sounded absolutely AWFUL, but it had a lot of bass, and I liked it. I mean I only listened to bass heavy music...and that was all I cared about. Then as I started discovering music other than Eminem, I got bored by the bass and started judging systems by their higher frequencies. I started digging clarity. Then I got a JVC mini-hifi system, and that sounded decent, I still have it today boxed up somewhere in the basement, but it was all highs, it was very bright, but it sounded good with rock to me.
 After some time again, I realized that vocals sucked, they were very harsh, and that was the first time I got a decent audio setup. It was a used Technics amplifier and a pair of Celestion bookshelfs. And that's the point where you could have walked up to me and said: "sorry for you wallet". And you would be correct. This was the best setup I've ever heard, but I kept literally for like a month, because I wanted better.  I started changing speakers like socks, there was a pretty strong audiophile community in my city, having meetings ever saturday night in a local jazz club, so it was easy to buy or replace my gear with someone else, or simply exchange speakers with someone for a while.  And thats my audiophile trip began. 10 years ago I was totally different, my opinions on music and audio gear was totally different. Today I would probably get in a very strong argument with a 10 years younger version of myself.

So the point is, in order to appreciate good sound, a person has to go trough a sort of adaptation or learning process. Its not as simple as putting on a pair of high end headphones on and being done. First and most important is the music. Someone who listens to...you know...top 40 pop songs that are played on the radio, doesn't really need audiophile headphones. Lets face it, with such music, especially in a compressed format played trough mp3 players or phones, audiophile headphones will sound worse. I'd probably take the Beats over some audiophile headphones if my only source was a phone and I only listened to mp3's, because it would most probably be a better sounding setup.

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #135 of 2,037
Quote:

Those who put them on and prefer them to similarly priced Sennheiser for example, don't know what to listen for and are only impressed by colorations of the sound. Take for example TV's.  Put a two identical TV's one next to another. One calibrated so that its picture would be as close to reality as possible, and on the other one you boost up the colors, contrast, sharpness, etc. to make it look flashy.  Most people will prefer the second one because it looks more impressive. 

Also, I bet that probably about 95% and more of the people who buy beats never heard any instrument live, probably never heard a person singling properly in person. Walk up to an average teenager walking around with Studios around his neck, and ask him if he's ever been to a live concert where real music was played. I'm positive most will say no.  So how do you expect a person who never heard a live acoustic guitar for example, to appreciate LCD2's more than Beats?   Especially in the case of people who never heard any decent audio, EVER, before trying Beats.  Lets face it, most people NEVER get to hear good sounding audio. I know its a hard thing for us audiophiles to grasp, but majority of people are born, and die, without ever heard a quality piece of audio equipment. Some people never went to a concert even. The best they get is their ear buds that came with their smartphones, crappy TV speakers, crappy car speakers or cheap radios or "hi-fi" systems they get at best buy or similar stores for 50 dollars.  So, for such people, putting on a pair of Beats Studios must be a revelation. Because they've never heard such great (boomy and overpowering) bass and such sound clarity (sharp and spiky highs).

Anyone here remember their trip trough the audio world? I remember specifically about 12-13 years ago when I was in my early teens and I first got into music seriously enough to want some better audio gear, I was totally clueless, I was one of those who never heard a good audio setup. The best I had was an old Sony Walkman casette player and those headphones that came with it...you know those with thin metal headbands that would grab your hair all the time.

It makes me feel embarrassed now, but back then I ONLY cared about bass. The first audio setup I bought was some kind of ****ty Sony mini-hifi system that had huge bass. Sounded absolutely AWFUL, but it had a lot of bass, and I liked it. I mean I only listened to bass heavy music...and that was all I cared about. Then as I started discovering music other than Eminem, I got bored by the bass and started judging systems by their higher frequencies. I started digging clarity. Then I got a JVC mini-hifi system, and that sounded decent, I still have it today boxed up somewhere in the basement, but it was all highs, it was very bright, but it sounded good with rock to me.
 After some time again, I realized that vocals sucked, they were very harsh, and that was the first time I got a decent audio setup. It was a used Technics amplifier and a pair of Celestion bookshelfs. And that's the point where you could have walked up to me and said: "sorry for you wallet". And you would be correct. This was the best setup I've ever heard, but I kept literally for like a month, because I wanted better.  I started changing speakers like socks, there was a pretty strong audiophile community in my city, having meetings ever saturday night in a local jazz club, so it was easy to buy or replace my gear with someone else, or simply exchange speakers with someone for a while.  And thats my audiophile trip began. 10 years ago I was totally different, my opinions on music and audio gear was totally different. Today I would probably get in a very strong argument with a 10 years younger version of myself.

So the point is, in order to appreciate good sound, a person has to go trough a sort of adaptation or learning process. Its not as simple as putting on a pair of high end headphones on and being done. First and most important is the music. Someone who listens to...you know...top 40 pop songs that are played on the radio, doesn't really need audiophile headphones. Lets face it, with such music, especially in a compressed format played trough mp3 players or phones, audiophile headphones will sound worse. I'd probably take the Beats over some audiophile headphones if my only source was a phone and I only listened to mp3's, because it would most probably be a better sounding setup.

Holy god. What the heck have you written? Anyways, good work. I agree with you totally. I had a similar experience like yours(total bass head).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back