Why the Beats Hate?
May 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #46 of 2,037
Quote:

Yes, that's exactly my point. I'm willing to bet most people who bash them never heard them and are bashing them purely because they want to make themselves look like they're knowledgeable about headphones, because as we all know, hating bad headphones automatically means you have golden ears and know everything about headphones. Especially if you recommend M50's right after bashing the Beats. Its ridiculous.

Funny how people who do proper reviews on them dont absolutely hate them. Like Tyll on Innerfidelity when he tested the Studio together with other noise cancelling headphones, he didnt bash them as complete trash, he says they were pretty good, while on the other hand he called the Klipsch M40 bad, which is weird, isn't it?

Quote:
So many of these threads and yet they never get anywhere.

I think derbigpr is specifically talking about the blind hate we see on Head-fi, not the generic "beats r overpriced" spiel that we hear all the time. I have seen, time and time again, people that have never heard the beats bashing them as "horrid phones" and in return recommending some other headphone that they haven't heard either. It's just silly.

Count me in, it's not complicated, if you've seen the Beats, and you want to comment on their looks, that's fine, but don't make speculative comments, based on what other people have said if you've never heard them, and this goes not only for headphones, but for any other piece of audio equipement as well.

I also think that even if i have heard  X headphones, i feel it's important that i try to be as objective as possible when i comment on them, i try to remember that not everyone has the opportunity to go out, and listen to practically any headphones on the market  within a few miles from their houses.

May 19, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #47 of 2,037
Quote:
Very true, it's not just that they produce a sub-par product, it's that they generate lies about its capabilities and market them that way. It's the classic analogy of the bad milk seller. If a seller waters down milk and sells it as watered down milk for a lower price, the consumer knows what they're getting and everything's fine. But if a seller waters down milk and sells it as regular milk for the full price, they make a much higher profit. Then more sellers start doing the same thing to maximize their margins, until the honest milk sellers get choked out and all you can find is watered down milk. At this point, the consumer no longer knows what real milk tastes like, and is swindled by an inferior product. That's what companies like Beats are doing now, which has caused the true audiophiles to exercise their rights as consumers and avoid these products rather than be blindly led by advertising, so that the hobby isn't ruined by charlatans like the people behind Beats.

Who cares what the Beats slogan is, are you that easily influenced?, i would never buy ANY headphones no matter how inexpensive they are, without listening to them first, and preferably on my own sound system, and if that wasn't possible, i would at least consult forums like this one to at least get a general idea of their sound signature, hence my previous post, about comments objectivity.

May 19, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #48 of 2,037
Quote:

Are you calling me a "Beats white knight"? I have 20 minutes experience with the headphones, don't be ridiculous.  This is the type of ignorance I'm talking about, let's turn our brains off, useless as they are, and go straight to insults, right?  Let me point you towards my initial post, read it again. I wrote my short view on them, nowhere did I say anything else except that they were better than I've expected and would like to test them more thoroughly to see how good or bad they really are.
YOU are the one who came out and said, I quote: "makes me wonder how you're hearing things so differently from everyone else..." after falsely concluding that I said HD650's and Executives sounded similar. Now, it's clear YOU were the one personally offended by that, even though I'm willing to bet you've got zero experience with either of the two headphones. Am I right? It's a rhetorical question.

"we just agree that they aren't that good"  - Number one, who are "we", if YOU haven't tested them, and majority of the "we" haven't either. Number two, a fact is they're not as good value as other headphones, but is that a reason to hate them, and look at people who like them as idiots? In fact, I can't think of any valid reason why someone would HATE a product. Don't buy it, stay away from it. Going around pointing out how bad it is and insulting people who like it makes you look like a pathetic human being.  Sometimes I don't know whats worse, the fanboys or the haters.  And no, before you call me a fanboy, which I know you already are thinking of doing, I'm not.  I'm just not blindly ignorant, taking the words of other people who are equally ignorant as facts and grasping onto them to the point where I become aggressive if someone disagrees.  I like to test things on my own, and get my own opinion, because ultimately, its the only opinion that I consider valid. And everyone else in their right mind should do the same.

This discussion is over.

You know, you're really not helping your case any with your wall-o-text rants and ending the conversation instead of continuing on with a proper debate. 

That aside, I have also tried Beats (couldn't tell you which model as their owner didn't know and I don't care to figure it out) and I absolutely LOATHE them.  I cannot see how any corporation can manage to get people to shell out that much money for them.

Another thing that I absolutely hate is that through their marketing, they've turned their customers into pompous idiots who think that the cans they're wearing around their neck are the best that money can buy and refuse to even consider the possibility that they might be wrong or overpaid for the product while knowing virtually NOTHING about audio, or for the more extreme cases, MUSIC.  I realize that my headphones are by no means high end (I'd barely qualify them as lower-mid tier) but the wall of muddy bass that issued forth from the beats made me wonder if the manufacturers were deaf. 

So what we have here is a triple threat for inspiring disdain among audio enthusiasts:  dishonest marketing, poor sound quality, and a consumer base almost as obnoxious as die-hard apple fanboys. 

May 19, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #49 of 2,037
Quote:
Beats=Bose....great marketing = premium price

In hififorums you will find the same disdain for Bose as for Beats. Style over substance in combination of relative high prices.

You join this forum to avoid these products.At least thats for me.

PS brands like Beats and bose are dangerous. As consumer you lose out when you have to pay the premium prices of these brands.

Matter of fact....the ultimate company in this regard is of course Apple :0

Slightly OT
Actually I'd disagree with you on the Apply analogy (and I'm not a fanboy either).  Yes their computers are overpriced vs the hardware that is in them - for me I'd prefer straight PC then the OS of choice (I'd go either Win or Lin)

But for audio - Apple charges a premium but does deliver on quality (SQ) and functionality.  I originally came from Cowon - but moved to iPods a couple of years ago.  Their SQ is actually very good - linear, low distortion, and from the 4 series iPhone / iPod Touch - low impedance on the HP out.  Add a parametric equaliser like the Equalizer app (or an app like Acudio), and you have a very feature full, easy to use audio player - with arguably one of the best UIs out there.  Apple advertises well, charges a premium - but the difference is that they deliver on what they advertise.  Big difference between that and Beats IMO.

May 19, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #51 of 2,037
I think Bose and Apple are a different tier from Beats. They make excellent products, that are slightly overpriced, but more importantly, most definitely not for me. 

Bose headphones are comfortable, and noise cancellation is second to none. For some people, that is really what they are after. It's a well engineered product, just not for what I want it to do. 

May 19, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #52 of 2,037
Funny you talk about the bose noise cancelling... I went to the mall today with my mother and tried their quiet comfort 15's.... I could hear  70% of what  my mom was saying right next to me... and she was speaking in a normal voice....the music from the demo was at around 50% or so volume... I was Highly disappointed.. But maybe the batteries were dying or something....

May 19, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #53 of 2,037
ANC is more effective with plane sounds and stuff than voices. I fly twice a year at minimum, and by hour 5 or 6 into the flight, I think to myself "Why haven't I bought myself a pair of QC15s?" Some time after I get off I realize that if I had $300 to spend on headphones, I wouldn't waste it on something that I would get to use 2 days a year. 

May 19, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #54 of 2,037
I totally get you... Im still looking for the perfect pair of noise cancelling heapdhones/ earbuds that will block out 90%+ voice/ daily noise so I can listen to soft music.... For now I use a $60 pair of Audio Technica Ath-ANC23's... They block out alot...but can still hear voices every now and then.

May 20, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #55 of 2,037
Derbigpr...I say go for it. I am curious what you think of them compared with the other headphones you have. I mean you listen for a few minutes to them. And you like them.
Remember beats is a brand thats targeting the popular market. But it doesnt mean that Beats can produce a headphone with good SQ. Always interested in reviews and opinions.

Anyway many people who call themselves audiofiles are quite snobbish. Always sticking to highend gear and prices. And frankly I agree you got to be openminded and give things a try. So good thing that you did. Curios to your more indepth review and comparisons.

I am myself a value shopper. I have certain requirements when i buy something and i look for the best value. But I am always open to learn new things.
But still always hesitant about going highend. Before my purchase I always want to be sure that I need/want it(not something cheaper giving the same) and that I can appreciate it.(Do i understand the difference)

PS what i dont believe is Beats selling a headphone that will be marked as a great value, For that, the premium pricing is just to high.

May 20, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #56 of 2,037
Quote:
You know, you're really not helping your case any with your wall-o-text rants and ending the conversation instead of continuing on with a proper debate. 

That aside, I have also tried Beats (couldn't tell you which model as their owner didn't know and I don't care to figure it out) and I absolutely LOATHE them.  I cannot see how any corporation can manage to get people to shell out that much money for them.

Another thing that I absolutely hate is that through their marketing, they've turned their customers into pompous idiots who think that the cans they're wearing around their neck are the best that money can buy and refuse to even consider the possibility that they might be wrong or overpaid for the product while knowing virtually NOTHING about audio, or for the more extreme cases, MUSIC.  I realize that my headphones are by no means high end (I'd barely qualify them as lower-mid tier) but the wall of muddy bass that issued forth from the beats made me wonder if the manufacturers were deaf. 

So what we have here is a triple threat for inspiring disdain among audio enthusiasts:  dishonest marketing, poor sound quality, and a consumer base almost as obnoxious as die-hard apple fanboys. 

I don't really care about their marketing or costumers. I've never even paid much interest to their headphones either, other than obviously never ever hearing anything positive about them on serious website.  I just happened to be in a Apple store trying to check out the iPhone 5 as I'm replacing my phone soon and I'm considering getting the iPhone. Well, I've decided to keep my Galaxy.  That aside, the Executives were put out on a shelf for demo's and I decided to have a quick listen.  That's it. I never even imagined I'd find headphones in an Apple store, let alone listen to them, but I did.  And when I was listening to them, I specifically remember one thing kept going trough my head, and that is "they're really not that bad".  As I said, from my quick impressions in the store, they really didn't sound considerably worse plugged into a phone than my DT770Pro's . But I also know that  DT770 sound much better when used in a home setup, so I thought it would be a good idea to test the Executives at home as well, to hear how good they really sound when they perform as good as they can.   That's all I said.  And then the bashing of my post began by certain people...because I didn't call the headphones complete trash.

May 20, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #57 of 2,037
Quote:
Beats=Bose....great marketing = premium price

In hififorums you will find the same disdain for Bose as for Beats. Style over substance in combination of relative high prices.

You join this forum to avoid these products.At least thats for me.

PS brands like Beats and bose are dangerous. As consumer you lose out when you have to pay the premium prices of these brands.

Matter of fact....the ultimate company in this regard is of course Apple :0

I do at least know what I get when I buy a MBP... And also it is built well after all. Don't like apples style, but they seem to be fairly honest with their products after all. Only thing I don't like is how closed their platforms are, but personally I can live with that...

May 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #58 of 2,037
Quote:
I hate beats because the bass is overwhelming, but not in a good way. It has no quality, it sounds like someone farting in a trombone.

Also i really hate it when people say that they look good, since even the design is copied from Shure Srh 240:
Beats https://www.google.ro/search?hl=en&biw=1366&bih=637&q=beats+solo&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46751780,d.bGE&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=OrKXUdz1E5PE4gTK2oDoDQ
Shure https://www.google.ro/search?hl=en&q=shure+srh+240&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46751780,d.bGE&biw=1366&bih=637&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=RbKXUfbMKsjJ4ASknoHwBQ

They just added more shiney.

The Shure actually came out later
Quote:
DrDreWithM50.jpg

It's a photoshop'd image
Quote:
I do at least know what I get when I buy a MBP... And also it is built well after all. Don't like apples style, but they seem to be fairly honest with their products after all. Only thing I don't like is how closed their platforms are, but personally I can live with that...

I'd argue that Apple stuff is not built well given their mediocre fail rate, but repairing them is much easier than other laptops.

May 20, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #59 of 2,037
Quote:
I'd argue that Apple stuff is not built well given their mediocre fail rate, but repairing them is much easier than other laptops.

Ohh well, at least I have had no problems after all... I was more thinking about the built feeling solid. My next laptop will be a PC, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back