Why the Beats Hate?
Nov 1, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #1,231 of 2,037
Have you tested them? What do you find wrong with the highs? No, Studio 2 don't have great bass. That's Studio 1. 

Have you tested them eventually?

Pretty obvious the first poster Has tried them and sorry to burst you're bubble didn't like them.

I, as already stated, am unlikely to go out of my way and use my precious timeto try another one of Mr Dre's products.

Suggest you start a appreciation thread for the Studio whatever its called where you and other like minded individuals can justify your purchase can and leave this to the haters:wink:

Alternatively grab a pair of Focals. Spirits or perhaps the new Listen and let ME know YOUR thoughts

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #1,232 of 2,037
my Focal Utopias sound horrible if you only listen to one ear.

Testing doesn't really matter if your opinion is predisposed does it?

A pretty unlikely scenario but I think it would still sound pretty good actually (EDIT as opposed to a 1 in 3 chance with Dre's by my experience)

You are quite right with your second point I would hate Beats even if they switched to Focal drivers

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #1,233 of 2,037
I detest hip hop and everything associated with such a passion that I won't even capitalize it. 

The actual sound of Beats has nothing to do with that. 

I actually loved the sound of Beats the very 1st time hearing them and so did all my friends-at least two years before seeing a single advertisement or super corny hip hop video promoting them-I don't watch ANYTHING hip hop. None of my friends are hip hop fans either. On flights and when travelling, the bass disappears on most high end headphones. Beats makes up for subsonic bass cancellation for a great full bodied sound.

I've always hated the way Beats look-and being a music business professional walking around with a pair of Beats on wipes out decades of credibility. So no way in my case are they a fashion accessory. 

Headphone tuning at the end of the day is a preference. Each headphone has fans of the way it sounds-and Beats is the world's most popular headphone. I'm just amazed that people in this thread are dismissing the sound when 90% of the people buying Beats have listened to them in stores before buying them. 

Nov 2, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #1,234 of 2,037
I detest hip hop and everything associated with such a passion that I won't even capitalize it. 

The actual sound of Beats has nothing to do with that. 

I actually loved the sound of Beats the very 1st time hearing them and so did all my friends-at least two years before seeing a single advertisement or super corny hip hop video promoting them-I don't watch ANYTHING hip hop. None of my friends are hip hop fans either. On flights and when travelling, the bass disappears on most high end headphones. Beats makes up for subsonic bass cancellation for a great full bodied sound.

I've always hated the way Beats look-and being a music business professional walking around with a pair of Beats on wipes out decades of credibility. So no way in my case are they a fashion accessory. 

Headphone tuning at the end of the day is a preference. Each headphone has fans of the way it sounds-and Beats is the world's most popular headphone. I'm just amazed that people in this thread are dismissing the sound when 90% of the people buying Beats have listened to them in stores before buying them. 

If beats are the most popular headphone, it has nothing to do with the sound, but the advertising and status symbology they cram down your throat. You take that away and they would have disappeared a long tima ago. I have listened to ever headphone they have ever peoduced, and so have most of my associates and colleagues, and everyone has come to the same conclusion. They are over priced for the soud quality. Unbalanced muddy in the sound signature, and just do not sound good compared to equally priced headphones. The bass impact is the only strong point, but itnis muddy and over shaddows the other frequency ranges. None of my headphones or inears have ever had issues with bass while flying, so trying to use that as an excuse doesnt fly. Build quality is crap on beats. If you buy them as fashion accessories fine, but stop trying to push them as quality headphones, because they are not.

Nov 2, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #1,235 of 2,037
  Beats differs from Rolex because:
-A $1000 Rolex probably is more accurate than my $30 Casio. Diminishing returns tend not to be bashed on Head fi (e.g. STAX), negative returns are different. 
-The vast, vast majority of people buy Rolexes as fashion accessories. There are very few people that are duped into thinking they provide head over heels improvements in timekeeping accuracy compared to much cheaper watches. 

I really don't mind people buying Beats for fashion. I don't think most of us care about those people. We generally take issue with the fact that people are buying Beats for sound quality. 

Also, we are headphone enthusiasts, not watch enthusiasts. 

Actually the $30 Casio is way more accurate than a (mechanical) Rolex. A lot of headphone enthusiasts actually are watch enthusiasts.
The main reason Rolexes are so expensive is that they're a hand made, totally mechanical item. Some of us find beauty in well made, finely functioning objects. Especially now that everyone carries a cell phone watches are more a piece of functional jewelry. 
Your $30 Casio should be accurate to about one second per month if it's functioning correctly. The Rolex should be accurate to within five seconds per day if it's functioning to factory standards. Mechan ical watch owners view them more as a beautiful gadget then a perfect timepiece.
Beats are all glitz and no substance. IMO they aren't really all that good looking, and it's pretty well documented that they don't sound all that hot.The company has turned them into a status symbol and no one really pays attention to the sound.

Nov 2, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #1,236 of 2,037
Great to see this thread which is the best of headfi finally getting the attention it deserves. Keep it going

Nov 2, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #1,237 of 2,037

If beats are the most popular headphone, it has nothing to do with the sound, but the advertising and status symbology they cram down your throat. You take that away and they would have disappeared a long tima ago. I have listened to ever headphone they have ever peoduced, and so have most of my associates and colleagues, and everyone has come to the same conclusion. They are over priced for the soud quality. Unbalanced muddy in the sound signature, and just do not sound good compared to equally priced headphones. The bass impact is the only strong point, but itnis muddy and over shaddows the other frequency ranges. None of my headphones or inears have ever had issues with bass while flying, so trying to use that as an excuse doesnt fly. Build quality is crap on beats. If you buy them as fashion accessories fine, but stop trying to push them as quality headphones, because they are not.

Saying sound has "nothing" to do with their success is having blinders on, plain and simple. I'm saying the sound has at least *something* to do with it. I don't dismiss the marketing but i don't dismiss the sound either. Are there people that buy them because of the marketing? Of course.

As I stated earlier repeatedly, until recently there was a large amount of people that thought Beats were the best sounding headphone in the world. Beats is single handedly responsible for the in store headphone listening demo rack-they KNEW they sounded better than all the other headphones in the store. A large part of this was because of the volume-Beats were louder out of smartphones than all the others. Head Fiers don't realize that there are a lot of people that max volume on their smartphones, and Beats are simply the loudest and most powerful.

Recently though others have refined their designs and they compete with Beats in stores on the headphone rack. Before that though, people were listening to Beats in store and going "wow!" I've seen it dozens of times, in airports, train stations, and stores.Businessmen in suits and people you'd never associate with hip hop culture.

I am NOT trying to push Beats as quality headphones, lol. Last count I had 14 headphones that I consider high end quality, the latest being the Focal Utopia.

I'm saying for probably the 20th+ time in this thread, that there were people hat actually bought them for the sound, including me, a music professional

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #1,238 of 2,037
Sound is well down the list of priorities for their vast customer base. The look, the perceived quality and the image take priority in most cases

They may like the sound and try them but believe me it wouldn't enter their head to try and compare other headphones. Beats are the default purchase. As I've said before for most people Headphones = Beats

They are synonomous one and the same

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #1,239 of 2,037
Lot of people in the U.S do not know this headphone forum exist. Many people that buy headphone don't know about other heaephones. We think $300.00 - That is cheap as hell for a headphone. Majority of people think $300.00 for headphone, that is pricey as hell. Majority of people follow the cultures trend, and Beats prabably has the most marketing power than any brand when it comes to headphones. People buy what they see, they don't know other headphones exist, nor are they enthusiastic about going out to search for a better headphone.

Best said by all the hip hop artists, sports players, movie stars. Goto bestbuy, you see one on the shelf laid out in the nicest table top. People will pick it up.

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #1,240 of 2,037
Some body here a super rich dude is burnng his WM1Z walkman (3000 US $) with a pair of beats what a sacrilege and herectic 
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #1,242 of 2,037
The question is, does it have bass? I don't like high fidelity headphones because they don't have bass!!! Bass > everything else

The Focal Utopia has bass. So does the Fostex TH900, but the treble is screeching. Get a TH600 and you'll be golden

Nov 2, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #1,243 of 2,037
Think and hope he was joking about the Bass. There's correct bass and excess bass

Nov 2, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #1,244 of 2,037
If you guys still think beats still sound bad you guys are sorely mistaken, with many high profile audiophiles shocked by how well they sound.  Good job guys, following in the age old tradition of headfiers that know about a headphone before they have heard it. What a joke you all are.

Nov 2, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #1,245 of 2,037
  If you guys still think beats still sound bad you guys are sorely mistaken, with many high profile audiophiles shocked by how well they sound.  Good job guys, following in the age old tradition of headfiers that know about a headphone before they have heard it. What a joke you all are.

I actually tried the solo 2, you know, the one with the high praise from innerfidelity and various audiophiles. They were better than my old mixrs but really nothing impressive at all. Vocals were rubbish from my standards, I thought even the qc35 sounded better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back