Yep...first headphones -- Sennheiser HD414s

images

Dude...Someday, Someday!   :wink:

Early HD800 Prototypes
images

images

images

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #633 of 2,037
  I caved today.  After reading all of the threads about the latest round of Beats I went to Best Buy to give them a try.  I have B&W P7's that I have been using every day for 6 months and I'm looking for something I can compliment them with so I can leave one or the other in my nightstand at home.  I didn't like the Executive or the Solo HD, but the new Studio actually sounded pretty good to me.  I ended up grabbing a pair in matte black just because they are 10% off right now.  I wanted the wireless version for the flexibility, but couldn't stomach an extra $100.  Haven't decided yet if I'll bring them in behind the back or talk to the wife about making them my Father's Day gift while we go shopping for something shiny for her.  :)  I would like to give them a real life trial though.  The only thing that I am still a bit skeptical of is the highs seemed a bit sharp at times and I'm worried they would be too much and be fatiguing.  I have read the same about the P7's though and I love them.

Disclaimers: I am a bit of a basshead.  I don't really care about labels or image.  I would rather cover things up so I don't draw attention and can just enjoy what appeals to me without judgement.

Well I've spent a few hours with the Studio's and I'm taking them back for a couple reasons.  The biggest is the hiss.  Second is comfort; I wish the ear cups were slightly deeper.  I love the bass on them.  It's not overpowering, but it is very solid and slightly more than my P7's.  Ultimately though the rest of the sound signature leaves me preferring the P7's.  I think I just need to give up on trying to find something "better" or complimentary to the P7's.  Beats and Beats owners don't deserve the trash talk they get though.  I've tried many headphones that other people here love and they all wound up in the return line with these Studios; including Momentums, HP50's and K545's.  Nothing wrong with any of them, the sound of these P7's is just right in the sweet spot for the wide variety of music I listen to.

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #634 of 2,037
I don't mean to trash talk beats owners. If somebody likes a set of headphones for the way they sound, I don't care. I'm happy for them. 

I will admit, though, that I don't like to hear people insist that Beats are "the best" and that nothing else comes close. This is a result of clever marketing by Monster and the signature of a famous rapper. If not for those two ingredients, I think Beats would be sold for about half of what they currently go for. At that price, I might be tempted to pick up a set myself. 

I'm glad you got to try a set. Everybody should. At least then everybody would have an informed opinion.

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #635 of 2,037
  I don't mean to trash talk beats owners. If somebody likes a set of headphones for the way they sound, I don't care. I'm happy for them. 

I will admit, though, that I don't like to hear people insist that Beats are "the best" and that nothing else comes close. This is a result of clever marketing by Monster and the signature of a famous rapper. If not for those two ingredients, I think Beats would be sold for about half of what they currently go for. At that price, I might be tempted to pick up a set myself. 

I'm glad you got to try a set. Everybody should. At least then everybody would have an informed opinion.

Triple Fi 10s are the best headphones in the sub 400$ price range imo 
biggrin.gif

Sound wise, which idk what else would matter in a music listening device. 

Comfort for sure, but reshells + TF10 are still sub 400$.

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #636 of 2,037
Oh, I'm reminded of the time when I tried a pair of fake beats headphones and they actually sounded better next to the real thing. This was back in 2012 though.

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #638 of 2,037
  Well I've spent a few hours with the Studio's and I'm taking them back for a couple reasons.  The biggest is the hiss.  Second is comfort; I wish the ear cups were slightly deeper.  I love the bass on them.  It's not overpowering, but it is very solid and slightly more than my P7's.  Ultimately though the rest of the sound signature leaves me preferring the P7's.  I think I just need to give up on trying to find something "better" or complimentary to the P7's.  Beats and Beats owners don't deserve the trash talk they get though.  I've tried many headphones that other people here love and they all wound up in the return line with these Studios; including Momentums, HP50's and K545's.  Nothing wrong with any of them, the sound of these P7's is just right in the sweet spot for the wide variety of music I listen to.

Not sure if you're by a BB w/Magnolia store...but If you are, you might still be able to get the Denon D600s for $150 (in store only).  Excellent bass, soundstage and detail across the spectrum.  Like them better than my DT770s.

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #639 of 2,037
Not sure if you're by a BB w/Magnolia store...but If you are, you might still be able to get the Denon D600s for $150 (in store only).  Excellent bass, soundstage and detail across the spectrum.  Like them better than my DT770

The nearest store that has them in stock is 1 hour away. I called and asked how much they were and they said $330. Not the online price or the $150, which I found strange.

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #640 of 2,037
The nearest store that has them in stock is 1 hour away. I called and asked how much they were and they said $330. Not the online price or the $150, which I found strange.

Yeah...long drive.  Some folks on the Deals Discussion thread have had the same issue.  The sales clerk that answers the phone only looks online.  Other folks have been able to convince the salesperson to actually go look at the tag and verify before driving in.

See the first two posts on page 342 of Deals Discussion thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/5115#post_10567413

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #641 of 2,037
Aug 2, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #645 of 2,037

Users who are viewing this thread

Back