Why the Beats Hate?
Jun 2, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #616 of 2,037
If a true blind test were possible, I honestly believe I would still want to take these home for a more in-depth trial than on a store shelf.  Truth is, branding, marketing and hype are what gets people to try your product.  I've tried lots of headphones that people here love and returned all but the P7 and HD650.  If I don't like these Beats Studios, I think the next I want to try will be the Sony 7506.

You said that you're a bit of a basshead, right? If so, then the 7506 might not really fit the bill. They're studio monitors, so a balanced signature is what you will most likely get. I have tried the 7506s myself, and didn't fond them basshead-friendly at all, although they were good all-rounders. They have great build quality for the price (dunno about you guys, but my friend got them for >$20, so yeah), and I like every aspect of their sound except the soundstage, which is horribly crammed in.

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #617 of 2,037
I thought it was a well-known fact by now?

Yeah, having worked at Best Buy I can say that even the sales reps aren't aware of what's going on with Beats audio. I wasn't, at first. I had to look into it. A really dirty trick is that on the displays (which are provided by vendors, not Best Buy) they have an audio jack so you can "compare" your headphones with the Beats. The audio jack is hooked to a flat eq while the Beats are hooked to a seperate Beats eq. They will always sound better.
None of this is ever explained to the employees. Even the managers aren't really aware. I only found out when the Beats headphones stopped working (ha!) and they had to open the display.
I wasn't as impressed with Beats after that day. :)
It's a shame because Best Buy employed come out looking like idiots a lot of times due to facts that they are never made aware of.

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #618 of 2,037
i like'em.

if i get can even one for free i'd sell it and buy something else
tongue.gif

too bad they're  electronic product with most fakes IMO.

Jun 2, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #619 of 2,037
Yes and the fakes are probably the hardest to identify given the dearth of quality both in sound and build of the genuine ones

Jun 2, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #620 of 2,037
  i like'em.

if i get can even one for free i'd sell it and buy something else
tongue.gif

too bad they're  electronic product with most fakes IMO.

FTFY

Yes and the fakes are probably the hardest to identify given the dearth of quality both in sound and build of the genuine ones

In other words, they can easily match the sound and quality of the originals.

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #623 of 2,037
I

I think they got away with it because they were advertising "Beats audio" the headphones and eq could be considered a "package". They did replace the display in time, though, with another display that had no "comparison" module.

Yeah, Beats is done with that. Now their headphones are hooked up to the same setup as any other headphone that's on display.

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #624 of 2,037
If i didn't know any better id say we have some beats employees on this forum. 

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #625 of 2,037
  If i didn't know any better id say we have some beats employees on this forum. 

Well, you don't know any better too well 
wink.gif

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #626 of 2,037
SO...

Show me another on-ear/over-ear headphone that both looks good and is bassy.

Clearly,

Sennheiser Momentum
Denon D2000
Ultrasone pro 900
LCD 2

All look better then the plastic looking beats and have bass that puts the beats to shame.
For just sound Beyerdynamic DT 770 if youre not into the whole "looks thing"
Me, i walk around town with my TF10 aka Frankenstein bolts, could care less what people think, they are the ones missing out
ksc75smile.gif

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (for looks AND sound signature)

D2ks, LCD2s both look amazing
DT770s aren't that bad looking IMO

Personally, never thought I'd hear someone praising Audeze LCDs or Beyer DT XX0s for their looks!

Early LCD Prototype...
images

Beyer Labs DeathTech 770?
Seriously -- reminds me of a project I did in my High School Shop Class...sheet metal, screws, badly molded plastic, snapped on fake leather.   :wink:

Waaaaiiitt a minute.  What if...the Beyer and Audeze design teams put their heads together -- just think what they could accomplish!

images

FrankenPhones...when TF10s just won't do!!!

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #627 of 2,037
Jun 3, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #628 of 2,037
I made the same revelation in another thread:

Yep...but nothing comes close to the Abyss!  

This seriously demonstrates the other side of the coin..."let's make it so obscenely ugly that us Headphone Geeks will take pride in owning it" (imo)

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #629 of 2,037
Hmmmm...I stand corrected; maybe Beyers can look cool!   :wink:

images

Users who are viewing this thread

Back