Why the Beats Hate?
Dec 13, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #451 of 2,037
Hmm, sounds like a challenge I might accept. The xb400s look like they leave you no room for a cable that runs through the headband, and the bits on the side that extend and contract don't seem to be capable of concealing a cable. I've done something similar with a pair of Sennheiser HD201 - I made the Y-cable into a single sided cable and fitted a built in amp in one earcup and 2 x AAAs in the other. It went surprisingly well; all the cables were more or less concealed.

IgvZeN5.jpg

dHc0Hx3.jpg

KZkbIJA.jpg

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #452 of 2,037
  Hmm, sounds like a challenge I might accept. The xb400s look like they leave you no room for a cable that runs through the headband, and the bits on the side that extend and contract don't seem to be capable of concealing a cable. I've done something similar with a pair of Sennheiser HD201 - I made the Y-cable into a single sided cable and fitted a built in amp in one earcup and 2 x AAAs in the other. It went surprisingly well; all the cables were more or less concealed.

Maybe you can tape the cable to the headband, then conceal it with some added padding (like the 201's padding for example). Could work, but I'm not sure how you'll do it with how the earcups are mounted to the headband.

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #453 of 2,037

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/IgvZeN5.jpg[/IG]

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/dHc0Hx3.jpg[/IG]

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/KZkbIJA.jpg[/IM]

Well what I plan on doing is drilling holes in the top of each earcup so I can route the right ear to the left. I plan on using the flat cable it comes with and gluing it to the inside of the headband for the routing. This will hinder its adjustability I am sure but I will see.

At this point I believe the ear cups are held together by some type of glue so I will most likely have to heat it up to open them which makes me nervous because the earpads don't come off. Hopefully they at least detach from the headband to make it easier but I am doubting it at this point.

My alternative to increase portability would be to make both sides detachableand create a custom cable. Much much much much more doable as long as I can open the cups. I will hopefully be getting some soon so i can see for myself.

Nice mod btw.

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #454 of 2,037
Based on my quick impression, the Beats ($399) version was the best headphone I heard that did a big subwoofer like bass. I think they are great if you are a bass head and like your electronic dance music or hiphop. There were some headphones that offer similar amount of bass, but none sounded as good as those Beats imo in terms of quality. ( i didn't compare it to all headphones that exist ofcourse, just the headphones that were on display )

If you like mids, detail, high, soundstage, imaging, comfort, durability and so on ..... don't buy these headphones. For bass heads with enough money to spend, I can see why people buy these. I personally would never ever buy them since my Shure SRH 1840 costed only $50 more and I got a subwoofer at home with my speakers that beats the Beats in terms of bass. 

For the right people (bass heads), I think these Beats headphones are quite good.

But I can understand the hate, since my $99 Shure SE215 probably sounds better. I didn't A/B directly as I just listened to it for a couple of minutes in a shop. 

Dec 13, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #455 of 2,037
$39 audio technica dj something or others sound great. I almost got some for indoor bike sessions. Clear and bassy. Beats the Beats. Not a beats hater, but why would I spend 300 bucks when I could get sr80s?

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #457 of 2,037
I am just surprised there isn't more Studios love. There is a big difference in those and other Beats.

Think of it this way: if Audiobahn released a subwoofer to rival the JL Audio W7/Fathom, would it sell? If the same company that made Cadillacs jump up and down released a kit to rival H&R and Bilstein, would it sell? The reality is that, from a product image standpoint, those who put the W7 in their car as a bass filler aren't going to be thrilled about opening their trunk and blinding anyone looking at it with light reflecting from a chrome subwoofer, and wouldn't trust a suspension kit made by a company known for making Caddys jump up and down with their track day fun.

Of course, nothing stops people with such Cadillacs from buying an Italian supercar and mounting 22" chrome wheels on it when they sell enough albums on iTunes. What I'm getting at is, from a philosophy standpoint, these objects have a meaning that they project; in marketing terms, there's a product image getting in the way of their branching out to something else, and it's a lot more difficult than, say, a FWD luxury land barge maker turning to RWD and testing their cars on the Nurburgring to take on Mercedes and AMG.

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #458 of 2,037
Believe it or not, Beats improved a lot with the new studios. I was a bit impressed with their improvement.

I actually went to Best Buy to try them out, this last Saturday, but all the Beats we're Broken and the Studios were missing.

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #459 of 2,037
If you are remotely considering any of the Beats line, I'd go Studio (2013). I'd also find a different Best Buy. Those demo things Beats and Bose put in BB often suck and don't work. I still hate the price on them but wouldn't mind owning a pair as a gift or something.

I still need to figure out what I want.

Dec 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #461 of 2,037
If you are remotely considering any of the Beats line, I'd go Studio (2013). I'd also find a different Best Buy. Those demo things Beats and Bose put in BB often suck and don't work. I still hate the price on them but wouldn't mind owning a pair as a gift or something.

I still need to figure out what I want.

Naw, I just wanted to check them out (Studios) just to see how they improved from the last model. I was curious, since a lot of people are saying that they are very much improved from the olds ones. :)

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #463 of 2,037
The UE 6000 have a very weird fit. The earcups never seem to be able to sit well against my ears. The M100s though are good.

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #464 of 2,037
Why do I hate beats? Because Philips Fidelio line shows us what is achievable at much less price.

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #465 of 2,037
oh we are on CNN.com on a piece by Todd Leopold: How Beats Headphone Changed The Audio World

Users who are viewing this thread

Back