Why the Beats Hate?
Dec 13, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #1,021 of 2,037
Your job will soon get easier when the outdated headphone jacks start disappearing maybe with next year's IPhone?

Then the customer will have the choice of Beats or Beats. The only options they really wanted anyway. To most people Beats are simply the Best.

Actually I'm incorrect here.Beats may still have competition. Audeze and Philips are actually ahead of the game with their Lightning connected headphones already on the market it seems. More manufacturers to follow they must know something.

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #1,022 of 2,037
Comments I've personally heard about Beats by their owners:

"the earbuds are the best I've ever heard, they're so detailed and deep and block out all the noise"
"Why did you choose Beats headphones?" > "Beats are awesome!"

There's a lot of factors why people desire Beats: looks, sound signature, trendiness, ignorance, etc. I personally am not a fan and would never own one, but obviously they've hit the nerve of the general public in a way that other manufacturers never could.

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #1,023 of 2,037

"the earbuds are the best I've ever heard, they're so detailed and deep and block out all the noise"

There's a lot of factors why people desire Beats: looks, sound signature, trendiness, ignorance, etc. I personally am not a fan and would never own one, but obviously they've hit the nerve of the general public in a way that other manufacturers never could.

Agree they are almost uniquely brilliant in marketing their products and making them desirable to a huge number of people. If this was 'Marketing-Fi' there would be nothing left to discuss they have it sown up.

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #1,024 of 2,037

Well honestly the Solo 2 really does compete with other headphones in it's class! I compared them to my HD 25-1 II today, the only qualm though I have with the Solo 2 would be that it doesn't scale... it sounds about the same regardless of source, an honestly that is pretty cool! 

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #1,025 of 2,037
Agree they are almost uniquely brilliant in marketing their products and making them desirable to a huge number of people. If this was 'Marketing-Fi' there would be nothing left to discuss they have it sown up.

What I think would make for a fascinating topic, and we've glanced it here, but the following questions I'd be excited to discuss:

A) what impact has Beats had on the personal hi-fi market?
B) Positive or negative impact?
C) Are there any threats from Beats posed to other manufacturers
D) Are other manufacturers jealous of Beats or are they content to do their own thing? Are they kicking themselves for not seeing the market [pre-Beats] that Beats has cornered in the way they did it, or not?

There was a video floating around a year or two back where a bunch of home audio hi-fi retailers got into a room and started discussing the shrinking home audio market. (I wish I could find it) They were panicking because the younger generations are not buying home audio gear anymore. Instead of tackling the issue of "the market is headed towards portable gear" they continued to discuss ways to get people into home audio (setting up listening rooms on college campuses, etc.). It was a fascinating insight of how clueless a lot of the people in the industry are towards the headphone/portable/future markets.

Will the audio showrooms of the future be dedicated to headphones and portable/desktop gear?

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #1,026 of 2,037
  Well honestly the Solo 2 really does compete with other headphones in it's class! I compared them to my HD 25-1 II today, the only qualm though I have with the Solo 2 would be that it doesn't scale... it sounds about the same regardless of source, an honestly that is pretty cool! 

I was at Walmart the other day and they had their Beats display. I was trying to listen to the Solo 2s (as we've all heard good things about them - YMMV) but their display was so jacked up and nothing was labeled right, I ended up walking away. I think I listened to the Studios and maybe one other one they had....but again, I couldn't tell exactly what I was listening to because their display was so f'd up. Maybe I'll head to Best Buy and compare them. I personally don't like what I've heard by Beats, but obviously I'm in the minority on that [see: sales numbers].

On a side note, here's an interesting video comparison of Beats vs other headphones on a college campus in blind tests:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QUU8ZISDXc

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #1,029 of 2,037

Mainstream audio is so strange. You have a company like Pono, has a major artist behind it, tries to sell a decent DAP and high-res music to the mainstream market, gets absolutely torn apart in the mainstream press. Tidal seems to be getting the same vociferous treatment. Yet Beats can turn out overpriced and subpar products for years and people absolutely love them.

Normal people are weird.

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #1,030 of 2,037
I listened to the new Beats Solo 2 the other week.  I asked the fella at the Apple store if noise cancelling could be turned off, but he said it can't?  Is this true?  So you're just left with bass and white noise from the active noise cancelling.  Assuming I haven't missed something obvious (like the "upgrade sound button?"), these sound terrible ... but I'd say that the Ultrasone Performance 840 I heard today is still much MUCH worse, hehe

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #1,031 of 2,037
  I listened to the new Beats Solo 2 the other week.  I asked the fella at the Apple store if noise cancelling could be turned off, but he said it can't?  Is this true?  So you're just left with bass and white noise from the active noise cancelling.  Assuming I haven't missed something obvious (like the "upgrade sound button?"), these sound terrible ... but I'd say that the Ultrasone Performance 840 I heard today is still much MUCH worse, hehe

I don't think they do a noise cancelling Solo2. Could they have been a Studio Wireless ?

But by your description the sound would appear to be normal for these
smile_phones.gif
 it's about the LOOK. 

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #1,032 of 2,037
  I don't think they do a noise cancelling Solo2. Could they have been a Studio Wireless ?

But by your description the sound would appear to be normal for these
smile_phones.gif
 it's about the LOOK. 

Ah yep, I believe you're spot on.  Sorry about that :)

And yup, but the Bang & Olufsen H6s look way sexier and sound amazing too ... but they aren't quite as "cool" I guess, hehe.  The Apple stores have the H6 and Bower & Wilkins P7 near the Beats on the shelf in both stores I've been to, both of which sound way better and are built so much better too.

I think the sad thing for musicians in the 21st century is that 90% of people are listening to their music through Apple earbuds or Beats headphones.  So much wonderful detail is not reproduced and people are just not experiencing music the way it was intended by the recording engineer at all.

Whatcha gonna do I guess :')

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #1,033 of 2,037
  Ah yep, I believe you're spot on.  Sorry about that :)

And yup, but the Bang & Olufsen H6s look way sexier and sound amazing too ... but they aren't quite as "cool" I guess, hehe.  The Apple stores have the H6 and Bower & Wilkins P7 near the Beats on the shelf in both stores I've been to, both of which sound way better and are built so much better too.

I think the sad thing for musicians in the 21st century is that 90% of people are listening to their music through Apple earbuds or Beats headphones.  So much wonderful detail is not reproduced and people are just not experiencing music the way it was intended by the recording engineer at all.

Whatcha gonna do I guess :')

I have the H6 and one noticeable thing is Beats are a lot louder driven by a smartphone.............remember a lot of displays allow people to hook up their own smartphones. If i walked in off the street and didn't know about headphone amps like most people, the H6 would've sounded weak in comparison and I would'n't have bought them, because they had the lowest volume coming out my smartphone of any of the 20+ headphones on display.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #1,034 of 2,037

I have the H6 and one noticeable thing is Beats are a lot louder driven by a smartphone.............remember a lot of displays allow people to hook up their own smartphones. If i walked in off the street and didn't know about headphone amps like most people, the H6 would've sounded weak in comparison and I would'n't have bought them, because they had the lowest volume coming out my smartphone of any of the 20+ headphones on display.

Yeah, totally agree. The H6s are not as efficient as my other headphones, the Momentum's are at least 3db louder at the same volume on my phone.  And you're spot on, my friend who heard the H6s said that they were not loud enough for his taste.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #1,035 of 2,037
Wore my HD25s today at work on my lunch break and the usual responses were: Should have got some Beats, have you heard Beats? Beats are the best.

Summary for general public headphones ARE Beats.

The word is becoming synonymous with headphones like Hoovers are vacuum cleaners, Biros are pens. The word headphone will eventually disappear from the vocabulary. you will listen to music in 2 ways; speakers (mainly Bluetooth) or Beats.

Depressing

Agree s nintendofers toplaystation or xbx LOL, my dad called my Walkman iPod LOL haha, i still call headphones headphones but yeah as you sai everybody also tells me about beatsm even my boss Gosh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back