Why the Beats Hate?
Sep 19, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #841 of 2,037
Sound quality is subjective. If some people like the sound of beats, they aren't wrong for doing so.

To each their own, I say.

IMO it only gets annoying when the Beats lovers start criticizing our choices, e.g. "man, those wannabe Beats of yours have no bass; get one of these". And the thing is, you really can't do anything about it since they really don't care much beyond distorted, muddy, disgusting bass, so when you let them listen to your cans, showing then what you like, they criticise you. I don't even like bass anymore, despite my online handle.

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #842 of 2,037
With the way headphone prices have gone, beats aren't that expensive anymore. Plus there are stylish alternatives like the master dynamic mh40 or even the b&o play h8. Those are better overall yet also priced higher. I still prefer iems for portable use.

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #843 of 2,037
IMO it only gets annoying when the Beats lovers start criticizing our choices, e.g. "man, those wannabe Beats of yours have no bass; get one of these". And the thing is, you really can't do anything about it since they really don't care much beyond distorted, muddy, disgusting bass, so when you let them listen to your cans, showing then what you like, they criticise you.

I totally understand that moment when you show people high end headphones and they complain about lack of bass or noise isolation or the fact that the headphones aren't weighted.
But I do know that if you take someone with no audio experience and introduce them to crazy high end equipment, it will still blow their socks off.

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #844 of 2,037
  People are plugging in their smartphones on these racks and maxing out the volume. If your headphone isn't as loud as the others, you're not going to sell, period. 

Well who they hell wants to buy headphones only to find out they need to buy an additional amplifier to get it to sound loud.

Personally, the more I try higher end headphones, the more inane this Beats by Dre hate is getting.

I'm at the point where I might even try Beats by Dre to see if the hate is really unwarranted.

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #845 of 2,037

I'm at the point where I might even try Beats by Dre to see if the hate is really unwarranted.

I too got to that point, and picked up a pair of Solo2s. Not one ounce of buyers remorse. $170 at Best Buy, but have seen them as low as $150 at a different Best Buy recently.

$150 may or may not be a lot of money to you, but IMO the Solo2 is well worth their asking price, as long as you go in knowing that these are closed back headphones designed to play well with portable devices. They are not the "be all/end all" for high fidelity, but I sincerely don't think that is what they were going for. SQ is just fine for the market segment they target.

IMO, YMMV, etc.

Happy Listening!

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #846 of 2,037
Well who they hell wants to buy headphones only to find out they need to buy an additional amplifier to get it to sound loud.

Personally, the more I try higher end headphones, the more inane this Beats by Dre hate is getting.

I don't think Beats are the only company make highly sensitive headphones. More and more headphones are lower impedence higher sensitivity and hence don't need an amp. It's no reason to buy Beats unless you've always secretly liked that LOOK.
People try to justify their reason for buying them; they are loud, they have removable cables etc. But it always comes down to the image and wanting to be part of the herd; not being confident enough to show individuality or eccentricity need to conform.

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #847 of 2,037
They're fine headphones. Are they fantastic? No. Are they arguably worth the price? No. But they work and they work well for their intended purpose. I've never understood the need to hate on things other people like. No need to be snooty. Different people look and want different things in different market segments. I tried an exceedingly expensive DAC and couldn't tell the difference between the one I was suing. That doesn't mean better DACs are pointless or stupid decisions it's just about what matters to you and your tastes/preferences.

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #848 of 2,037
They're fine headphones. Are they fantastic? No. Are they arguably worth the price? No. But they work and they work well for their intended purpose. I've never understood the need to hate on things other people like. No need to be snooty. Different people look and want different things in different market segments. I tried an exceedingly expensive DAC and couldn't tell the difference between the one I was suing. That doesn't mean better DACs are pointless or stupid decisions it's just about what matters to you and your tastes/preferences.

You make it sound like Beats are some kind of considered choice when people are weighing up the pros and cons of a very expensive headphone purchase and that people may consider an alternative . The majority and it us a majority of people (they have over 50% market share) just will automatically choose Beats thinking they are the dogs wotsits.

They are a unique phenomenon only Apple compares. I think it's perfectly healthy to dislike an admittedly very clever company that can hoodwink so many people. If you can't show your dislike or 'hatred' for them on here where can you. Is just fun really

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #849 of 2,037
They are in no way "fine headphones." Better than they once were, but merely "ok." And the same "ok" quality can be purchased elsewhere for far less, even in closed cans. That leaves us again with the crowd that thinks they look cool. Personally, I don't care what my headphones look like.

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #851 of 2,037
They're fine headphones. Are they fantastic? No...I've never understood the need to hate on things other people like...it's just about what matters to you and your tastes/preferences.

Yep...to each his/her own!

You make it sound like Beats are some kind of considered choice when people are weighing up the pros and cons of a very expensive headphone purchase and that people may consider an alternative...

They are in no way "fine headphones." Better than they once were, but merely "ok."...

Well...at least one highly regarded reviewer begs to differ! :wink:

"Solo2—a very fine headphone indeed"
"Solo2, Beats deserves an open minded second look"
"Beats Solo2 sounds absolutely terrific!"
- Tyll Hertsens

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/time-rethink-beats-solo2-excellent

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #852 of 2,037

- Tyll Hertsens

I borrowed a pair of Solo2s from a friend for a week or so and gave them that "open minded second look." I don't always agree with Tyll's opinions, and this is one of those times.

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #853 of 2,037
I borrowed a pair of Solo2s from a friend for a week or so and gave them that "open minded second look." I don't always agree with Tyll's opinions, and this is one of those times.

Yep...which brings us back to Orangekiwii's thinking.

As they say...YMMV!

Sep 20, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #854 of 2,037
Whenever I tell people I like headphones they always automatically assume I have Beats. I say Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser and they say what or who?

It's as sad state of affairs.

But resistance is indeed futile.

They have taken over

As for the rest of the headphone industry in the words of the great Peter Hammill;
'every step appears to be the unavoidable consequence of the proceeding one and in the end there beckons more and more clearly total anniiiiiiiihilaaaation! '

Sep 20, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #855 of 2,037

- Tyll Hertsens

Well he doesn't seem a big fan of Beyers or Grados so has a particular taste but each to their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back